Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Kol’s Protector - WIP

• 55 Replies

Kol Hokan

• Armor does not make a warrior, spirit does.
  • Awards Award for 100 official invasions. Special Weapons Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
Re: Kol’s Protector - WIP
« Reply #50 on: Oct 06, 2022, 03:32 PM »
Looking great dude!!! Love the hooded poncho.

I would say that you might honestly have to add more weathering to the soft parts to match the grimy plates. Clever way to weather the armor though, I haven't seen or heard of anyone doing that before. Very interesting!

Also, you may need to damage that lightsabers a little more but overall, well done!

Thanks a lot! I'm super pleased with the poncho and I already have a couple clanmates asking me to make them one too,  :laugh: so that'll be fun - a whole Poncho Squad.  The weathering technique using the black spray paint and steel wool is what I've always used on all my custom kit. It turns out wonderful and the same method can be used with browns and redish browns to get a battered and rusted appearance as well. The trick is inconsistent coverage for using the browns (which I didn't do for this kit - I used acrylics for the browns this time, like I did with my Din Djarin).

The weathering on the flightsuit and the vest are certainly there. Mostly black with some browns as well. Unfortunately, it just doesn't show as well in the photos - so I'm probably going to have to add more than I want for it to show up. Boba, Fenn, Tobbi, and Jodo all don't have much weathering on their flightsuits overall, however - which is the standard for Protectors.  Boba has tons of damage on his armor, but the flightsuit is relatively clean in comparison.  Trying to find a balance that respects the source material while also meeting mercs "consistency" rules can be difficult.

The lightsaber trophies are significantly damaged, as show in my first post.

UPDATE:
We had a photoshoot out at Silver Falls in Oregon this past weekend. I didn't have time to finish the new backplate I had picked up and the proper jetpack, so I made one that is /similar/ to the side mounted ones we see in the marvel comics.  I don't think it quite meets the BRL regs, but it was just a fun side project.  The little orange jump pack ended up better than I expected for something made from literal trash.  I call it the SLGP-01.   For "Sh*ty Little Garbage Pack."  I used a used container of Chlorox wipes, a food tray from a costco microwave meal, a misprint for my wife's Fennec Shand belt box, a plumbing connector, old CPAP hose from my grandfather's house, and an old generic-nerf slide.  I used the same weathering technique on the pack (black spray paint w/ steel wool and brown acrylics).  It attaches onto my temporary TK backplate with 4 9 lb pull rare earth magnets (same magnets my torso plates are held on with).  So it snaps on nicely and does not come off without a serious tug.  It worked perfectly!

I only have a couple photos from the shoot so far, but we had an incredible time and there will be MANY more photos soon.  Our photographer was Bernadette A Photography, and I could not recommend her more!  And yes, I'm using an SE-14r blaster pistol. It's a bit heavy as a solid resin prop, but it is gorgeous.

Alex Cole .... Clan: Concordia .... CAT#: 0787 .... Brigade#: 278
Concordia Clan Tra'alor 2023
Concordia Clan Ruus'alor Sol'yc 2018-2020
Concordia Clan Alor'ad 2013-2016
Brigade Marshal 2014-2016
501st: BH-11628 .... TDE: #175 .... RL: Resistance Pilot - Screaming Porgs Squadron

Fenn Beviin

• MMCC #: 2116
  • Awards Mandalorian Protector Brigade Member
« Reply #51 on: Oct 07, 2022, 01:29 PM »
Ah yep! It was probably just the less damaged areas facing out.

As for the soft parts, yeah that's tough to make it dark enough to show up in photos but not be too dark in person. Happy middle ground there for sure.

"Try not to become a man of success, but a man of value."

Instagram: mythos_fenn_shysa

Mythos Fenn Arms (A Sales Thread): https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=174182.msg2066382#new

Fenn Shysa WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=80765.0

Blaster Addiction - So many Blasters: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=110659.msg1820500

Karl Dha'Werda

• MMCC Karl & Rex Dha'Werda &RL/TDE Karl Darklighter
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Donated four quarters of 2023. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #52 on: Oct 10, 2022, 12:34 PM »
Love the damaged lightsabers, I was just going to show my clan's foundlings this example of weathering to the lightsabers.  Crystal removed, wires exposed, not useable to all 4, great looking trophies.  My favorite is the second one down where it looks like the hilt was crushed.

I also like the weathering you did to your helmet with the extra plate added where heavy damaged occured.

Others have mentioned, but the thing that stands out the most to me is the blue girth belt.  It doesn't seemed to be weathered as the rest of the soft parts and kit overall.  Might be the lighting though.

Overall great looking kit.

Fair warning I like to take pictures and I've written a novel, so be prepared for both.
Karl Dha'Werda Facebook
Oyu'baat Clan
OM Troops: 84
Mandalorian WIP
Late Crusader kit
B.E.A.R.D.S#137|Mando Rider#038|ALUMINATI#036 FMM|MLCS#026|Oribru Akaata#54|MVS#100

Kol Hokan

• Awards Award for 100 official invasions. Special Weapons Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #53 on: Oct 10, 2022, 08:41 PM »
Love the damaged lightsabers, I was just going to show my clan's foundlings this example of weathering to the lightsabers.  Crystal removed, wires exposed, not useable to all 4, great looking trophies.  My favorite is the second one down where it looks like the hilt was crushed.

I also like the weathering you did to your helmet with the extra plate added where heavy damaged occured.

Others have mentioned, but the thing that stands out the most to me is the blue girth belt.  It doesn't seemed to be weathered as the rest of the soft parts and kit overall.  Might be the lighting though.

Overall great looking kit.

Thank you! The crushed saber hilt was a dog toenail trimmer with some add-ons that I melted with a heat gun before painting.  The blue girth belt, shockingly, used to be even brighter.  There's a ton of lighter blue and grey spray paints on it to tone it down.  May have to just throw it out in the sun for a few weeks!  It definitely pops more than I expected.

501st: BH-11628 .... TDE: #175 .... RL: Resistance Pilot - Screaming Porgs Squadron

Kol Hokan

« Reply #54 on: Jan 20, 2023, 01:24 PM »
Quick update. Several months have gone by and my kit is still in App. 

After several weeks the first round came back with a few easy fixes:
- more weathering on the flightsuit
- smooth out print lines on the gauntlet rocket
- reshape the shins
- slight vest/chest reshaping along the edges

I completed all of that and sent it back in then waited a month and a half. I made all the necessary fixes and they accepted those but then they sent me back more fixes that were fine the first time.
- More weathering on the vest and gloves
- Adjust the spacing on the chest plates

This has been quite frustrating as the chest plates never moved from the first round of app photos and they were deemed fine the first time. And the weathering on the vest and gloves was also fine - but because they made me add more weathering to the flightsuit, now they claim my weathering is inconsistent.  Ugggg.  I feel like this is the Bert and Ernie bit from Sesame Street where Ernie keeps trying to make the licorice even by biting off bits of both pieces until there is no licorice to share at all; add more weathering here, now more weathering here, now more weathering here again.... Pretty soon my entire kit will look like Din's after the Mudhorn fight. /rant

Frustrated and annoyed that the root of these problems seems to be the vest (it also won't meet BRL's because of the updated change discussed on page 2 of this WIP) I decided to go buy new fabric and try to sew up a completely new vest.  I chose some light/medium grey to give some contrast with the flightsuit.  I don't think I'll be able to finish it in time for my App Team deadline in 7 days, so I might have to just let the app expire and start this all over again.

I'll update with photos soon.

Karl Dha'Werda

• MMCC Karl & Rex Dha'Werda &RL/TDE Karl Darklighter
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Donated four quarters of 2023. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #55 on: Jan 20, 2023, 01:53 PM »
I completed all of that and sent it back in then waited a month and a half. I made all the necessary fixes and they accepted those but then they sent me back more fixes that were fine the first time.

That has happened before to some recruits over the holiday break when the App team goes dark.  Made adjustments and sent back, took over a month because of being on break.  When response came back there were additional changes spotted to adjust, that weren't seen before.  This can be from different photos in different lighting/environments.

You are doing great Vod, I can feel your frustrations but you also have a really fantastic kit that will be even better once you make a solid color vest and weather everything to match.  Hopefully not mudhorn weathered though, haha.

Fair warning I like to take pictures and I've written a novel, so be prepared for both.
Karl Dha'Werda Facebook
Oyu'baat Clan
OM Troops: 84
Mandalorian WIP
Late Crusader kit
B.E.A.R.D.S#137|Mando Rider#038|ALUMINATI#036 FMM|MLCS#026|Oribru Akaata#54|MVS#100

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!