Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Rebel Pilot Style Soft Parts (Yes, it's a Mando)

• 34 Replies

OriKad

• The Grizzled Old Sergeant of Mav Oya'la Clan
  • Awards Force Hunter Brigade Member Special Weapons 267th Rapid Assault Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Airmobile brigade member
Rebel Pilot Style Soft Parts (Yes, it's a Mando)
« on: Feb 19, 2010, 07:25 PM »
And now for the build thread for my V2 that was seen sketched in the planning board and paid for COMPLETELY by those axes I was selling.  If you hadn't seen it, this one is a light Mando fighter pilot based heavily on a Rebel pilot.  I decided before that I would keep as many elements of the rebel pilot as possible while keeping it up to at least--and preferably above--Mercs standards.  I probably won't make a body armor thread to go with this, since the body armor is going to be an unremarkable plain grey with no deviation from the basic Boba/Jango.

Let's start with the boots:  http://www.piratemerch.com/images/Walker-130-blkPU.jpg  I ordered these boots to go with it because they were within my price range.  Sure, they're Anakin-style, and that's not standard for the rebel pilot, but heck, it's a custom Mando costume.

Now, the vest.  I made some alterations to the rebel pilot vest so it would work better to hold the plates.  Mostly, I lengthened the body a little bit, and added another pair of straps.  Turns out that I was a little short on the strapping, so I had to order a little more before I finished.  Here's the pictures.

Front, all done, nothing left to do to it but add mountings for plates:

Back, needs straps added to match the straps coming off the front and tabs on the shoulder straps:

The whole thing, including the ejection straps, seen from the front:

Orange flightsuit to come, just as soon as I make the darn thing.

Ca Loar

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 50 official invasions. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Re: Rebel Pilot Style Soft Parts (Yes, it's a Mando)
« Reply #1 on: Feb 19, 2010, 10:58 PM »
This could be interesting. Really curious now.

[img]https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xaf1/v/t1.0-9/11245490_677274702400729_7769850639631025562_n.jpg?oh=d6e4bfb8c89920e3690b9ac545515935&oe=5613E63B[img]

ray'K

• cat# 0238
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Medic Brigade Member
« Reply #2 on: Feb 27, 2010, 08:02 AM »
whoa!
ori, how much are dem boots!?

This member has been permanently removed from the club by Dar'manda for violation of the Mandalorian Mercs Codex.

OriKad

• Awards Force Hunter Brigade Member Special Weapons 267th Rapid Assault Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Airmobile brigade member
« Reply #4 on: Feb 27, 2010, 09:01 PM »
Yep.  That'd be about what I paid, even though I ordered mine somewhere else.

Update on the build:  I got the vest 100% done other than attaching plates to it.  The flightsuit's almost done.  Just need to get a zipper so I can put it on and mark positions for the pockets.  I'll have pics of both once I have that done.

Chucko

« Reply #5 on: Feb 28, 2010, 04:33 AM »
I like where your going with this I had very similar ideas, but with the pre vizsla, Jango and a mando pilot it is hard focusing on just one at a time. I have the helmet in the works though.

« Last Edit: Mar 01, 2010, 06:56 PM by Chucko » Logged

Ha'sid

• Eater of worlds
« Reply #6 on: Mar 01, 2010, 05:24 PM »
There is not one part of anis costume that is black, its all shades of brown.

OriKad

« Reply #7 on: Mar 01, 2010, 06:30 PM »
Correct.  The argument could be made that none of Vader's costume is black either, but that's just being colorifically pedantic.

Anyway, they're Anakin-style boots because they have the same cut and pattern as the ones Anakin wore.  I got the black ones because A: Rebel pilots in ANH wear black boots (WWII German marching boots to be exact) and B: I couldn't afford reproduction German boots...

I have to save money to fill my left sleeve tool pocket with a sonic screwdriver (It's a tool!  And we run into a couple Doctors at the cons in the area... taptaptaptap, taptaptaptap...), and a laser screwdriver (The Master's.), and a bit of a broken socket wrench.  I have the broken socket wrench already.

Yes.  I'm a geek, married to a British geek.

Aramys Strael

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #8 on: Mar 01, 2010, 06:46 PM »
That is a good price on those boots. Why are they so cheap? Because they are polyurethane, basically the same stuff that those cheap 911 costumes boots are made of. I truly hope that I am wrong, but I don't think so.

The problem with those cheap boots is that they tend to blow out after a few outings. They are really meant to be that Halloween costume piece that is seldom used, as Halloween costumes go.

I don't want to sound like a jerk, just trying to prepare you for something that you may not have anticipated. I found out the hard way why one should never use those cheaper vinyl/polyurethane boots (no matter how good the look, or how spot-on accurate they are). You end up spending more in the long run everytime you have to replace them.

Just something to consider.

Bill Kohlleppel
250th Mandalorian Merc Member
MAJIC operative #009
MAAM #001
ORB ORS009
Ewok Relocation Agent #002
HORSEMAN: PESTILENCE
Kote at ner aliit, kote at an ner vode!

OriKad

« Reply #9 on: Mar 01, 2010, 07:45 PM »
I must have had better experience with cheap polyurethane boots, or I'm a lot easier on my footwear.  I have a pair of even cheaper PU boots for my Jedi that I wore most of the winter because they were the only boots tall enough to not let the snow in.  On top of that, repairs can be made either on the fly, or when I get home... and the greatest part of cheap boots wearing out is that once they do, I can rip out the seams and make a pattern.

Thanks for the advice though.  I appreciate being looked out for.

Aramys Strael

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #10 on: Mar 01, 2010, 07:54 PM »
Not a problem. I've always like those Anakin style boots and would love to get a pair for my own JEdi costume that I'd like to finish. I just don't like the hefty pricetag that comes with those kind of boots. I'd much rather stick to officer style boots, but they are so boring when doing a Jedi. I'd almost get these boots for the facings, but again that is kind of expensive for just one piece of those boots.

But you do make a good point.... the material can always be used for some sort of pattern later on down the road!

Judging by the phone number, this company is local to me. I am not sure if this is the same store that is in a mall, not too far from my work, or not. But it is close enough that I should check them out.

Bill Kohlleppel
MAJIC operative #009
MAAM #001
ORB ORS009
« Reply #11 on: Mar 01, 2010, 10:57 PM »
Ori and/or Tav,.... Would german 'jack' boots work? If so, get me your size. The comissar for my old WWII re-enactment unit keeps a lot of 'contraband' for when we brought prospective members to the Front. If he has them in your size, he used to only charge $30-$40 usually.

This member has been permanently removed from the club by Dar'manda for violation of the Mandalorian Mercs Codex.

lonewolf1183

• THE Executioner
  • Awards 267th Rapid Assault Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #12 on: Mar 02, 2010, 08:46 AM »
Great minds think alike!  I had sketched out a pilot mando myself a few months ago and have had it on the back burner to be worked on.  Same thoughts here with the Xwing style flak vest to mount the plates to, crash harness around the legs.  Its good to see others working on coming up with a really good concept that will definitely feel very 'in universe' for Star Wars.  Can't wait to see more of how you're going to plan yours out.  I always enjoy seeing how different people make their solutions to the same problem. (Its the product designer side of me- always fascinating to see different end results of the same item) :)

THE Mandalorian Executioner
Dum spiramus tuebimur
Member #299

OriKad

« Reply #13 on: Mar 02, 2010, 09:06 AM »
Jackboots would do.  I've already paid for the PU boots, so I'm not looking for others yet... but I may want to sometime in the future.  If you want, Tav, I could make a pattern for the facings once mine get here.  Then you could color and material match better than cannibalizing these.

Aramys Strael

« Reply #14 on: Mar 02, 2010, 11:09 AM »
Ijaat: I have some pebble grained jackboots that I got years ago. Unless these were smooth grained, I'd jump on it.

Orikad: that would be really cool. Much appreciated, ner vod. Once you get your boots and you don't mind doing a pattern rubbing, I could do something with it. Thanks!

Bill Kohlleppel
MAJIC operative #009
MAAM #001
ORB ORS009

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!