Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Rebel Pilot Style Soft Parts (Yes, it's a Mando)

• 34 Replies

Tassone Phoenix

• Proud Dune Sea Mando
  • Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Beastmaster Brigade Member Award for 50 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions
Re: Rebel Pilot Style Soft Parts (Yes, it's a Mando)
« Reply #15 on: Mar 02, 2010, 10:30 PM »
I have been watching this with great anticipation. I love the rebel fighter look so I want to see this come true. I have seen sketches of rebel style Mando helmets, but I haven't seen a rebel inspired Mando come to fruition yet. Good luck!

Tassone Phoenix aka Victoria 

Shonare Vhekadla Clan

Mandalorian Mercs Costume Club: #0333

M5: Mandalorian Mercs Mighty Mini Mando #3

My Mando WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=19027.0

My Mando's Beast Hunter Thread: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=70601.0

Verdika's thread: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=51095.0

OriKad

• The Grizzled Old Sergeant of Mav Oya'la Clan
  • Awards Force Hunter Brigade Member Special Weapons 267th Rapid Assault Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Airmobile brigade member
« Reply #16 on: Mar 03, 2010, 09:01 AM »
Thanks for the well-wishes, and sorry I haven't shown more progress yet.  I still need to go out and get that zipper.

OriKad

• Awards Force Hunter Brigade Member Special Weapons 267th Rapid Assault Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Airmobile brigade member
« Reply #17 on: Mar 10, 2010, 08:19 PM »
Finally got that zipper!  And I put it on, and stitched in all the velcro bits, and got all but the thigh pockets done, which I'm about to get to work on.  I even have a pic!

And a point of advice to any guys making their own 1 piece flightsuit:  If you can, get a double zipper.  It makes it possible to go to the bathroom without too much manipulation.

Tassone Phoenix

• Proud Dune Sea Mando
  • Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Beastmaster Brigade Member Award for 50 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #18 on: Mar 10, 2010, 11:58 PM »
Looking pretty cool.

Tassone Phoenix aka Victoria 

Shonare Vhekadla Clan

Mandalorian Mercs Costume Club: #0333

M5: Mandalorian Mercs Mighty Mini Mando #3

My Mando WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=19027.0

My Mando's Beast Hunter Thread: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=70601.0

Verdika's thread: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=51095.0

ray'K

• cat# 0238
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Medic Brigade Member
« Reply #19 on: Mar 11, 2010, 09:52 AM »
crikey!
i might commission you to do my flight suit!!

Aramys Strael

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #20 on: Mar 11, 2010, 07:57 PM »
Hey yeah... same here!  ;D

Bill Kohlleppel
250th Mandalorian Merc Member
MAJIC operative #009
MAAM #001
ORB ORS009
Ewok Relocation Agent #002
HORSEMAN: PESTILENCE
Kote at ner aliit, kote at an ner vode!

ray'K

• cat# 0238
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Medic Brigade Member
« Reply #21 on: Mar 12, 2010, 04:18 PM »
you need to make some cash with this talent!

OriKad

« Reply #22 on: Mar 12, 2010, 04:55 PM »
I used to make money with my sewing when I did costumes and repairs for the joust company I worked for.  Anyway, the vest was REALLY simple to sew and the flightsuit is essentially a pajama pants pattern stitched onto a dress shirt pattern and darted at the waist for fit... and with the ribbed bits down the sleeves... that's a bit of quilter's batting in a strip of fabric with lots of horizontal lines.  Actually, the texture of the vest is the same trick with quilter's batting except for the front, which is cotton piping in fabric sleeves made by simple pleating and stitching in the pleat valleys.

I might entertain flightsuit commissions sometime, though I do kinda suck at making them comfy for anything but my 6'1", 170lb frame.

ray'K

• cat# 0238
« Reply #23 on: Mar 13, 2010, 03:37 AM »
"yo! i don't know whad'you just said kid...."
seamster's talk means "blah-blah-blah," to me!

OriKad

« Reply #24 on: Mar 13, 2010, 12:01 PM »
If you think my tailor-talk is perplexing, don't try talking to Shan about horses. :)

Anyway, the top of the flightsuit is pretty much a plain old dress shirt.  I actually took apart one of my old school shirts and traced it onto the orange fabric to make the pattern.   The bottom is from a pajama pants pattern that I had, and the two parts are just sewn together at the waist.  Darting, the act of essentially taking a triangle of material out, is a lot like folding a dart-style paper airplane.  It creates a curve in a flat surface.

The ribbed bits on the sleeves are made by using quilter's batting, which is essentially thin polyester filling like you'd find in a blanket or (obviously) quilt, and sewing a whole lot of horizontal lines across it, cause the batting makes the fabric go up, and the stitching pulls it back down.  The same was done on the vest back.  The more-raised front of the vest is another sheet of fabric pleated a lot like a kilt and filled in with what's essentially thick cushiony string (the piping).

Is that layman-y enough?  Ooh, layman-y, I wonder if it's anything like lemony?  With my usual verbal ability it's probably more like being smashed in the head with a slice of lemon wrapped around a gold brick.

ray'K

• cat# 0238
« Reply #25 on: Mar 13, 2010, 12:32 PM »
makes more sense!
(that gold brick hurt......can i keep it?!)

TheMandoMan

• MMCC #0001
« Reply #26 on: Mar 13, 2010, 01:01 PM »
I've always wanted to try a Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster...

You have some serious sewing skills!  I barely got by making my vest.  Great job on both!

"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later." -Mitch Hedberg

OriKad

« Reply #27 on: Mar 13, 2010, 02:51 PM »
Sure, keep the brick... and all you gotta do is keep practicing with the sewing.  Sew everything you can get your grubby little mitts on.  Find a scrap of fabric and make something, anything with it.  You'll be as good at sewing as I am within a year.

Arketh

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #28 on: Mar 13, 2010, 03:14 PM »
That's a killer flightsuit. Good detail, and the proper fit sells it.

"You know, that's not a good idea. Let me get my camera."

OriKad

« Reply #29 on: Mar 28, 2011, 09:50 PM »
I was gonna post a new thread, but it is soft parts for this build.  Ladies and gentlemen, I present an example of how to do soft knees:

Left knee, outside. looking down my leg.

Front view.

Back view (The strap is 2 inches wide)

Taken off.

This took me about 3 hours start to finish, not counting breaks.  The main knee cup is made of three panels, with two additional side panels, a folded finishing top and bottom, and a back strap.  The main three panels are two layers of fabric with quilters' batting inbetween them to get the ribbed look (just like on my sleeves and vest as mentioned before).  The side panels are fabric with a craft foam insert for stiffness, and the back strap is just two layers of fabric.

I intend to tack them (with a few stitches in the middle of the top) to my flightsuit so they don't fall down.  Feel free to ask questions.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!