Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Grav charges/belt grenades

• 0 Replies
Grav charges/belt grenades
« on: Jan 15, 2023, 07:08 PM »
Was looking the grav charges and after looking at a few different approaches ended up not t exactly liking most the ideas folks that opted to simply insert various commercial lights/led units so got to thinking...                    My wife says that's somethings a dangerous/expensive (or both) situation...

Housing:
Modified one of various online STLs to :
a) make the body hollow (still learning meshmixer)
b) used tinkercad to make a screw in base which matches the threads added to the base itself.    (need to play around more with the threads).
   - made room in the base to add a magnet.   
   - This first go-around I added two spaced apart holes to be able to use a spanner wrench from my cordless die grinder to unscrew the base.   May need to rethink this.  Would like the unit to be "mostly water-resistant".
c) add a lip around the top so i can insert a laser cut piece of red acrylic (local library has CO2 lasers in their makerspace)  since one isn't in the budget for the home workshop.

Internals:
Started looking at small Arduino compatible units and saw the Seeed Studio XIAO SAMD21 which should give me enough versatility to control multiple LEDs in a more controlled flashing pattern.   Don't know if I'll go Bluetooth or ESP/I2c/etc for some of the ideas I have for the gauntlets and other lights/etc.

Something this small would allow the unit to be self-contained and even contain a small speaker.

There are a few options so that when you take them off the pouch/belt carrier they could "power up".

Has anybody else gone down this rabbit hole?  :)

« Last Edit: Jan 17, 2023, 05:09 PM by themeadmkr » Logged

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!