Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Second Son Second Kit

• 54 Replies

Second Son

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Special Weapons EnviroOps Special Operations Brigade Member
Second Son Second Kit
« on: Jan 30, 2023, 08:37 PM »
Well. I'm looking at Post Imperial for a second kit. I want to re-do the helmet color scheme from my absolute first foray into the Mando world, and use it on an official kit.
For the rest of the armor, the Look I'm currently feeling is "assembled from a few different sets of Mandalorian armor". I'm looking to walk a line between the COTW scrapper look and the more polished Kryze examples - mis matched colors and individual plate styles, but still a set of Mando plates, with no imperial scrounging. I'm planning to only use colors I already have in stock, and use current fabric and workwear supplies for soft kit. I have a Black Series Deathwatch helmet, but I have not committed to using it for this kit just yet.

I've drawn and mocked up a variant of the live action deathwatch chest plate, tested it for size, and double checked with the application approval team that it meets the design aesthetics for a PI chest plate.

I'm pretty sure I have what I want for my chest plate colors, and what I want my primary vest color to be. The arm and leg plate colors are not 100% fixed. I'm torn between having everything look like I just got dusted it off and put it on, or having the various color schemes peeking out from a newer paint job. Either way, I'm going to let the design flow as I work on it and see where I end up. Worst case scenario, I hate it and layer another paint scheme on top. I think the part I'm hung up on is the flightsuit color.

I'm looking at going one of these two directions:

The remaining plates are variations on my existing designs, as are the gauntlets. I may have accidentally sort of begun making the hard parts, just a little bit.

I've put a hard pause on that, since I haven't actually finished the soft kit. Even though I "know what I'm doing" (ha!) I intend to follow the prevailing wisdom and get that all sorted out before I go further.
I've got the beginnings of soft kit for either option - for the blue I have a set of coveralls and a matching work shirt that I would slice up and reassemble.
For the grey I would re-use the charcoal scrubs I used for my very first 'flightsuit' and similarly convert it into a PI style.
Neither option has less work involved, so it comes down to grey or blue.

Meanwhile, I have plenty of other stuff to work on for the flagship kit. See you all later with some sort of progress, sometime soon.

Jennari

• "I am the best. Always was." - Jango Fett
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022
Re: Second Son Second Kit
« Reply #1 on: Jan 30, 2023, 08:43 PM »
Beautiful start! Love the kit design!  :like:

trashcanmando

• This is all Karen Traviss' fault. they/them
« Reply #2 on: Jan 31, 2023, 01:12 PM »
Awesome! Loving this already!

« Reply #3 on: Jan 31, 2023, 04:39 PM »
Amazing work as always. 

I can't wait to see more!

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
  • Awards Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Award for 50 official invasions. Medic Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos
« Reply #4 on: Feb 01, 2023, 08:24 PM »
Your smithing is amazing and makes me just a touch jealous.  Keep up the good work!

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet
WIP Weapons [url=https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=

Kandosii Tor

• MMCC 1164
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #5 on: Feb 02, 2023, 11:55 AM »
Loving the chestplate design!

Fenn Beviin

• MMCC #: 2116
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Mandalorian Protector Brigade Member
« Reply #6 on: Feb 02, 2023, 01:01 PM »
Interesting!

Just my 2 cents here - but the checkered chest plate with everything else feels like a lot going on. What about making the ab plate the checkered portion?

"Try not to become a man of success, but a man of value."

Instagram: mythos_fenn_shysa

Mythos Fenn Arms (A Sales Thread): https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=174182.msg2066382#new

Fenn Shysa WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=80765.0

Blaster Addiction - So many Blasters: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=110659.msg1820500

Second Son

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Special Weapons EnviroOps Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #7 on: Feb 20, 2023, 12:51 AM »
Thanks vode.   

Apparently I'm a liar about not doing more hard parts. I got some new tools and had to try them out. I got some inexpensive radius dollys, in straight and curved shapes. They really make a difference when finishing edges.

I also tried out some simple annealing to work thicker stock than I have before - it worked well enough.
Like before, I'm doing a brass chest diamond. I think it turned out ok.

I riveted the belly plate to the lower extension - I countersunk the holes and then filed away until they were as clean as I could get them.

It was just warm enough outside to push a speedpaint, so I did a quick color set that my final color scheme will go over - I want to show a little bit of history/lineage with this piece, to lean into the Post Imp / scrapper feel. Colors selected by Mrs. Second Son, who continues to be a very good sport.

Self-etching primer, Winter Grey, and Summersquash.
For a 'throwaway' design, I really like how it turned out. The stripe thing is maybe a little trendy but it actually looks pretty dang good.

I also started doing some other parts. I had a spare modern back plate with a slightly more truncated base design, and clipped off the shoulder tabs to turn into the collar bits - Epaulettes is the term I've heard and I like it.

It runs the danger of being a little small, even by PI standards but I can add some coverage.

I've been giving some thought to my two knees and two shins scheme, and decided to add a little variety and flexibility. So, I shaped up a spare butt plate like my Modern kit's with nice edge radiuses thanks to the new dollys(didn't snap any pics of that yet) and a very brief cod plate. The design is a more male-ish variant on the PI cod worn by Koska and Bo - it's clearly identified as a cod plate in the Understanding Post-Imperial Armor Guide in the Jadd Halls of Knowledge.

The funky markings along the top are from experimenting with a shrinking tool. The ridges I made by tracing a line with a blunted cold chisel and hammer - it put a nice bend and added stiffness, and made the plate a bit more visually interesting without much extra effort.
Pardon the "mugshot"

I'm thinking that with a butt plate, cod, one tall shin, one knee and shin plate set, and a second knee plate that I can make some choices and have some flex in the plates I wear for any given appearance. I'm thinking about how I'll do the mounting to allow for that flexiblity (it probably won't be magnets).

The final bit I got up to over the weekend was to lay down the first of my 'real' colors - a nice dark gray.

I'm experimenting with scattered salt for chipping in addition to my old standby of liquid latex. Almost all of the base colors will be invisible, but hopefully the shadow of the painted stripe and a bit of the layering around some chips and dents will show that story in a really cool, subtle way.

I'm really enjoying the design freedom of PI and not having to stress about every single thing affecting my chances at becoming an official member - this second kit is turning into something of a test kitchen for new tools and techniques. I can and will get it approved, but if something fails along the way I won't be too put out. I'm not setting any hard deadlines for anything either, since I have other stuff to do on my Modern kit as well.

trashcanmando

« Reply #8 on: Feb 20, 2023, 08:51 AM »
This is looking gorgeous! You're lighting a fire under me to get working on my own metal plates!

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #9 on: Feb 21, 2023, 07:40 PM »
Looking awesome so far!

It is not who you are but the service you do for others that defines you.
QMU#084

Second Son

« Reply #10 on: Feb 22, 2023, 09:47 PM »
This is looking gorgeous! You're lighting a fire under me to get working on my own metal plates!
You won't be disappointed in how metal takes paint and weathering.

Looking awesome so far!
  Thanks vod. Having too much fun.

I got some real enjoyment out of doing the paint and chipping on the chest plate.
If I were going to repeat the job, I would change up the order of operations a little, and take longer between layers, but I'm satisfied with the outcome.

One little detail I put in - I masked off the center of the Iron Heart from the beginning, and then ran all my layers.

I'll hold off on washes and space grime until I have my soft kit wearable and more hard parts done.

Speaking of soft kit, I've been working on blocking out the parts. I'm trying to use up the fabric stash so I'm planning on only using stuff I have on hand.

I'm using my very first helmet as the basis for the new kit helmet colors, I like how it goes with the chest plate so far.
I'm going back and forth on the teal and dark gray for the cape. I think I'll need to get a few more plates painted before I make the final call.

That's it for now. Gonna see where inspiration and time to work on stuff takes me next.

trashcanmando

« Reply #11 on: Feb 23, 2023, 06:43 AM »
Kandosii!  :o That's really gorgeous!

Second Son

« Reply #12 on: Feb 25, 2023, 01:03 AM »
Thanks vod.
Looks like inspiration hit faster than I anticipated.

I have some slightly heavier and more shoulder-bell type plates that I'm thinking of using. Shown here in profile and elevation with a Fett style shoulder for comparison - the coverage is similar, but I feel like  the domed shaping is more in line with the PI era aesthetic. It's got a little flair in the profile - it's not a strictly Mandalorian Official  Screen Used Type but I think it looks sufficiently in-universe that I won't have issues. 

I dug out my very first vest, rolled the bottom up to a more PI hem height, and pinned it. Then I mocked up placement of my upper body armor and threw on my OG bucket for proportion.  I'l probably use the vest as the base for a pattern but it'll get tailored more.

Chest is feeling good overall. Fit and proportion are good so far.

Shoulders feel good, back plate could use a bit more shape. Jill was wondering what I was doing.

PI back plates tend to be very brief; I'm unsure if this one is too small. The width is good, I spent some time making sure it wasn't wider than the chest plate. It covers 2/3 of the area covered by the vest (mockup), at least. With a cummerbund, gun belt and a butt plate the back shouldn't feel too bare. Plus I'm planning on a cape.
My plan for the weekend involves a little bit of hammer time on the back plate and epaulettes and fussing over the position of my back plate.  I may give in to the urge I've been feeling to make a tasset out of a spare plate. 
Or I could actually get some progress made on a soft kit to go behind these plates.

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
  • Awards Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Award for 50 official invasions. Medic Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos
« Reply #13 on: Feb 26, 2023, 08:13 AM »
Nice work!

You may need to pad those shoulder out a bit more to avoid the bobble head look but that design looks like it fits very nicely into this era. 

Keep up the good work!  :like:

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet

Second Son

« Reply #14 on: Feb 27, 2023, 02:45 PM »
Nice work!

You may need to pad those shoulder out a bit more to avoid the bobble head look but that design looks like it fits very nicely into this era. 

Keep up the good work!  :like:
Good point. I think that I'll add some cap sleeves with some padding in to bulk up the shoulders. It's not strictly 100% down with PI styles we've seen on screen but I think there's a bit of latitude with a custom that I can work with.

So, back plates are evil. I think it's looking better.

Gonna pause here and figure some other stuff out before I commit to prevent spending more time on a potential no-go.
Adding the counter curve makes it feel better against my back. I'll see about a test photo later on to see if it looks better too.

On the definitely plus side, I've gotten a better feel on shaping the lower edge of knees to give it more visual body.

That will go a long way towards The Look. I need to sort some side greebs and get a connection method planned.

Trying to keep some forward progress.

« Reply #15 on: Feb 28, 2023, 08:21 AM »

I hope you made six of those, because they are the bees knees!

Second Son

« Reply #16 on: Mar 08, 2023, 08:23 PM »
I hope you made six of those, because they are the bees knees!
Thanks vod, you're pushing me to up my game! Just the two (so far) and I'm running around myself trying to decide which four lower body plates I'm using anyway - I've got two shins, two knees, a butt plate, and my cod-like object. I might get nuts and make them somewhat interchangeable so I can vary things with mood or what the day's invasion might need.

Meanwhile, I got to playing with adding some ridges to my shoulders to provide a bit of visual complexity. I had been sanding away at the surface to help smooth out leftover hammer marks from dishing, and threw some self etch primer on to see how it was turning out. And then I decided to add extra bits. I don't htink I'll leave them with just the primer color for this kit but it's actually a pretty awesome green-gray and the bare aluminum strips look pretty good next to it.

I experimented with a bit of annealing here - I was having trouble making this 1/8" stock move the way I wanted it to, and a bit of torch work got it more amenable to my hammer-based suggestions.
I think that the countersink and a bit of file and sand/polish work makes the rivets blend pretty well. I think by the end of this I'll have it somewhat figured out.

And because it's Post Imperial, we're doing things a bit uneven.

Meanwhile, soft kit is officially underway, and by that I mean I separated the Red Kap coverall I got into top and bottom halves and removed the seat pockets. Aaand then I stalled out a bit. I'm not super concerned, I'm slow rolling this one anyway.
I'll try and get something more going with the soft goods, building backwards may end up biting me in the shebs later.

Second Son

« Reply #17 on: Jul 18, 2023, 12:10 AM »
Nope, not dead or abandoned! Flightsuit has advanced.
I did some stuff, stitched some things. Topstitching is awesome but evil.

Tying off the topstitches is time-consuming, but satisfying.

Geometric stitches, PI Style:

Remember kids, do some testing and use the test swatch for weathering experiments later.

I started with a basic idea: add a patch of linen on the back. The plan: make it so I can remove a bit of the flightsuit for breathabitly.
It went awry. the ting went on off center. So I thought ok, add some panels to the side to make it not obvious, and don't have to unstitch anything.

It ballooned from there.

Ended up covering the top closure with a bit of an escutcheon patch, and stitching some Thematically Appropriate Stitchwork.  I wonder if doing an Iron Heart inside would be too much.

Not Pictured: futzing about with the sleeves and arm openings and getting them stitched on.
Next up: lower half fitting and decorative patches (with stitching), and a neck seal. And then on to the vest.
Maybe I'll get some pictures wearing it for a fit check.

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #18 on: Jul 18, 2023, 11:06 AM »
That looks very tedious but worth it!

It is not who you are but the service you do for others that defines you.
QMU#084

Second Son

« Reply #19 on: Aug 13, 2023, 10:25 PM »
That looks very tedious but worth it!
Yep! I like how it's been shaping up.

I hated the backplate I had been making so I started over.
It has gone better. I decided to go with a dedicated PI design instead of chopping up an old modern blank, and also went with .06"/1.5mm to give it more body.

Turned out pretty well, and I got to experiment more with annealing and practice with my mini english wheel.

Used my radius dollies to get that smexy edge roll.

Printed Din backplate I managed to acquire for scale - I think it will do.

Next step is to rivet some snaps on and decide if I'm going to add any details or go with it nice and simple. Then smoothing out the wheel marks and paint and weather.

And you know, more soft kit work.

« Reply #20 on: Aug 18, 2023, 01:00 PM »
Wow Vod, your workmanship is incredible. I had to look up what 'smexy' means, but that's because I'm old!  :D

"These are small, the ones out there are far away.........rangefinder to maximum magnification!"

Second Son

« Reply #21 on: Sep 02, 2023, 11:04 PM »
Thanks Vod.

More soft kit work!
Fit test of the flighsuit-in-progress. Jill volunteered to be a scale figure.

I checked the pics,and immediately brought the outer sleeves in a bit. I think I'll pull the arms below the elbow a bit more.
Overall I think I'm in line with the Post imperial fit and sihouette.

Still to do on flight suit: More neck seal action, tuning the sleeves a bit more. Top of the pants need some more work to finish the edge/waistband. Thinking about some quilted knee and hip pads to help with armor mounting.
Then it's on to a vest and cummerbund to cover up all of my stitching and colorblock work.

Second Son

« Reply #22 on: Nov 05, 2023, 05:33 PM »
PROGRESS REPORT

Kit 2 is not dead.  Been on hiatus while I do all the other real life stuff, and upgrade the flagship kit to triple brigades level.
No soft kit updates(shame on me), but yesterday I got a wild hair and did the primary shaping and assembly on my gauntlets.

I re-tooled my original design (based off the left side Fett platform) and made up a bunch of different semi-modular top box patterns. I may still change up the outermost boxes on this set, I haven't fully decided yet.

Updates later on, I guess.

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
« Reply #23 on: Nov 13, 2023, 05:04 PM »
Nice work!

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet

Kandosii Tor

• MMCC 1164
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #24 on: Nov 13, 2023, 08:03 PM »
Those gauntlets look awesome! How do you keep the points on the left gauntlet from cutting you up?

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!