Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Second Son Second Kit

• 38 Replies

Second Son

• Awards Special Weapons EnviroOps Special Operations Brigade Member
Re: Second Son Second Kit
« Reply #25 on: Dec 23, 2023, 11:38 AM »
Those gauntlets look awesome! How do you keep the points on the left gauntlet from cutting you up?
Clipping the square corners or folding them under so they are less stabby is how I have been doing that.
I also trimmed the lower shells a bit more at the wrist and inside of elbow to give a little more room for moving.
And added the backing plates for the inset rectangle details.

I think I'll go with this plus a whipcord on the right gauntlet.

And I'm experimenting with spring and stud type closures.

Using a short PEM stud and a slightly over-sized hole, and taking advantage of the natural spring in the material(.040" /1mm 5052 alloy) of the lower gauntlet half.

I got the Sionnach Studios vest and cummerbund pattern and made a test in cheap fabric - I'll get some photos of that for records/accountability soon.
I'm pretty happy with the overall fit and may just go straight into production after the Winter Holiday break is over.

« Reply #26 on: Dec 23, 2023, 02:17 PM »
Awesome work on those gauntlets!

Those stamped rectangles look great!

What are you using to cut those little slits in the sheet metal?

Second Son

« Reply #27 on: Dec 24, 2023, 04:30 PM »
Thanks vod.  Like most of my parts I drew them up in AutoCAD and used the laser-cutting service Sendcutsend.com to manufacture the flat parts. It's really great for those nifty flair details like the vents.

The raised rectangles I'm pretty proud of - I drew up parts for an embossing press, assembled them and used my bench vise to squeeze it to shape.

« Reply #28 on: Dec 24, 2023, 09:38 PM »
Thanks vod.  Like most of my parts I drew them up in AutoCAD and used the laser-cutting service Sendcutsend.com to manufacture the flat parts. It's really great for those nifty flair details like the vents.

You just opened up a LOT of options for me.  Thank you.

Second Son

« Reply #29 on: Dec 27, 2023, 05:22 PM »
Welcome vod - it's a great option for making lots of little detail bits. I usually use 5052 since it's easy to bend/roll/hammer to shape after the cutting.

I did some more stuff. Dropped some primer on my gauntlet shells,

And played about with the vest a bit more.
color check

laying out to be sure I like it

and looking at the top stitch work.

I think I'll carry some of these lines onto the body of the vest but haven't decided which ones yet.

Bade Duun

• Credits talk. I do not.
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Force Hunter Brigade Member Donated during Quarter 4 of 2023. Donated during Quarter 3 of 2023. Donated during Quarter 2 of 2023.
« Reply #30 on: Dec 28, 2023, 10:25 AM »
Solid color choices and excellent stitch work, vod. Very crisp.

Second Son

« Reply #31 on: Jan 16, 2024, 05:44 PM »
Solid color choices and excellent stitch work, vod. Very crisp.
Thank you! The PI stitch work is kind of tedious, but so so nice when it's completed.

I want to get this one finished and approved because I have some ideas for upgrades. So this past week & weekend I did a big push.
I added some quilted knee pads (and re-did the topstitching on the outside leg seams, they were NOT up to standards).

And worked on the neck a bit. I re-used the old collar from the extra shirt I cut up for double sleeves and decorative panels, but the back was far too sloppy. I stitched a bit of a back curve and clipped away the extra, but the back looked odd with the seam there so I added a patch. Yay, more topstitching and color block work.
Child two wanted to model it for the photo:

Still have some work on the front to get it all sealed up but not far off. One more dedicated work session on the flightsuit should do it.

I put on side closure panels on the vest and decided now is as good as any to try things out. So I temp mounted some plates with lockback pins, threw on the OG bucket as a placeholder, and gave it a go. Def not the full set, final layout, or completed mounting. Just getting an idea of fit.

Boots are some jackboots I grabbed on a whim; not sure if I will stick with these or do some chelsea boots and gaiters (and mount some shin armor to the gaiters).

I think I will add a cummerbund, but haven't decided on a color yet. I've got some maroon left over from my Modern kit, that might be alright.

That's it for now, I'll be back sometime soon with more. Maybe if it gets above face-crackingly cold outside I can get a layer of base primer on some more plates.

Kandosii Tor

• MMCC 1164
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #32 on: Jan 16, 2024, 08:21 PM »
The shoulders seem to be sitting a little low. I might take in the shoulders a little bit and pull those into place a bit more.

Great work overall! I love seeing the flight suits come together.

Second Son

« Reply #33 on: Feb 01, 2024, 01:40 PM »
I wasn't fully satisfied with the shoulders so I added extensions and moved them up.
I've also decided to use a cummerbund and apron setup.

I've made some upgrades to the soft kit to make things work better.
Neckseal:

Sleeve ends:

pants re-hemmed:

added little flaps to my vest to help hold up the shoulders:

and added some velcro for the chest. Not as worried about the back plate.

Temps rose above 40F so painting has been happening.
Backplate base layer (might add another layer of paint over this) that matches the first layer on my chest plate:

Left shoulder, with a callback to my Modern kit:

Right shoulder, with my personal sigil on it:

That's a lot of pattern, so I may yet dial it back and let things show through some muted top layers.

Still working on:
painting gauntlets
need to do a proper helmet
finalize cummerbund/apron attachment
proper belt with pouches and a holster
better gloves (placeholders still)
lots more weathering and detailing work
probably a cape

Second Son

« Reply #34 on: Feb 04, 2024, 06:40 PM »
Baby update:
Gauntlets progress. Took advantage of my lunch break and some nice weather to lay down some nice paint jobs and then ruin them.

And FlatMando (gauntlets are in progress still in this photo)

I'm considering doing a Black Series repaint to get this one approved (I'd like to have it approved this year!) and replacing the bucket with the planned metal one as a later upgrade.

Second Son

« Reply #35 on: Feb 12, 2024, 02:33 AM »
Weather was good this past week so I made huge leaps on the new helmet. Black Series, mostly finished modifying to custom. Still have to do the rangefinder (being careful so I can still use the lights on it) BUT - no more pictures with the OG placeholder necessary.
I made a belt also, and threw some surplus pouches on to start doodling the setup.

I think it's turned out well.  I've gotten a little feedback on some fit items, what does everyone else see that I can do better?

Still Need:
Weapon
Space Grime
last 10% on helmet
some fit tweaks in the softs
Cool photos in good lighting to send to pre-app

« Reply #36 on: Feb 12, 2024, 05:31 PM »
Do you still have the codpiece that I plagiarized?

I'm only seeing knee plates.

I love this build, I can't wait to see it weathered!

Second Son

« Reply #37 on: Feb 12, 2024, 08:37 PM »
Do you still have the codpiece that I plagiarized?

I'm only seeing knee plates.

I love this build, I can't wait to see it weathered!

It still exists, biding it's time to be unleashed on the world. Not sure if it's this kit or another one yet.

Second Son

« Reply #38 on: Feb 15, 2024, 10:16 PM »
It'll do, I think. Experimented on the ear cap with flat black with a graphite rub and rub'n'buff highlights. I got excited so I took photos before I un-masked the RF stalk and did some highlights on the RF topper.

And started a stabber.

It's Grime Time at casa de Second Son - gonna get out the dirt juice and filth it all up.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!