Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Chest Armor Modification

• 9 Replies
Chest Armor Modification
« on: Mar 15, 2023, 06:59 PM »
I discovered today that the chest armor I chose to run with is unacceptable, so I'm going to attempt to modify it as I already have the file and a working print. I was guided to use the same upper chest but change the abdomen. So here's the first idea I had for modifying the print to be different

Looking to add two oblique plates that fill in the negative space left by the curvature of the original plate. Obviously my Paint edit is a pretty rough idea, but these oblique plates would be similar to the shape of the cheek indents on a modern helmet; they would follow that triangle with a curved hypotenuse, and the plates as a whole would be fitted to curve around the body

Karl Dha'Werda

• MMCC Karl & Rex Dha'Werda &RL/TDE Karl Darklighter
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Donated four quarters of 2023. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions.
Re: Chest Armor Modification
« Reply #1 on: Mar 15, 2023, 09:26 PM »
Q&A Question referenced for others HERE with current as is chest plate only fitting Neo Crusader (NC) Era without modification.

Looking to add two oblique plates that fill in the negative space left by the curvature of the original plate. Obviously my Paint edit is a pretty rough idea, but these oblique plates would be similar to the shape of the cheek indents on a modern helmet; they would follow that triangle with a curved hypotenuse, and the plates as a whole would be fitted to curve around the body

The most common crusader plate is seen below in the reference image.

Fitz from Krayt Clan (above ^ ^ )

Ru'Der Marekar's WIP has a similar style (also seen below).

bh1138's WIP also has similar styling.

Highly recommend this WIP for step-by-step progress Ruug'la Carud's current WIP

Alternatively there are many styles of Crusader Era chest plates.  See image below to the left behind the female Jedi in brown armor.

The reference below is similar to my approved crusader kit and my kit is derived from ramikadyc style armor.

My personal Late Crusader WIP.

Another reference image:

Zophar Ptay very detailed late crusader WIP

Veeds is current in progress as well for their Crusader WIP.

Another common style is the use of a hose protruding from the chest plate (as seen below):

Bernie's Late Crusader WIP is really good for how to make the above armor.  Referenced images below:

My thoughts on your plates to make them fit the era would be to make the current plate above into two separate pieces.  The top section be the chest plates and the bottom section be the ab plate.  The ab plate will need to be trimmed and modified to not appear like Neo Crusader plates.

Alternatively you could go more the route of the crusaders with hoses attached to their chest plates and modify your chest plate to look more like the image below for reference with ribbed flightsuit and hoses to the chest plate instead of helmet from backplate.

Your helmet reference of Shae Vizla below works perfectly for this era of crusaders.

My last piece of advice would be to start over for the chest build.  Trying to modify your current chest plate will cost you more money and time in the modification process.

Fair warning I like to take pictures and I've written a novel, so be prepared for both.
Karl Dha'Werda Facebook
Oyu'baat Clan
OM Troops: 85
Mandalorian WIP
Late Crusader kit
B.E.A.R.D.S#137|Mando Rider#038|ALUMINATI#036 FMM|MLCS#026|Oribru Akaata#54|MVS#100
« Reply #2 on: Mar 15, 2023, 11:46 PM »
The common crusader plate is extraordinarily too generic. It looks oversized and boxy compared to the rest of the armor which follows the natural flow of the body.

What you've done for yours is closer to what I'm thinking for doing with mine now.

I've always hated the hose design. Too cumbersome to make any real sense for a group of people who culturally participate in combat. I've avoided that design as well. I'd be interested in the Vizla chest armor without the hose to the jetpack if that's allowed? Or does it have to be with the hose because that's all it's ever been seen with?

My helmet is already finished. It was the first thing I did when I learned that the Vizla design is allowed.

As for the current chest plate: wouldn't your suggest of splitting it into a top and bottom be a modification of it that you're telling me would be a waste of time and money? I'm not really concerned about time or money, just confused on the advice. One tells me to modify the design that I've already got, another tells me to abandon it altogether

« Reply #3 on: Mar 16, 2023, 12:04 AM »
Wouldn't the Vizla helmet be more toward Late Crusader anyway? Or at least far enough away from Rohlan Dyre's generation that it would make sense to not have something similar to his chest armor?

The chest armors in SWTOR look a bit more formed to the body like what I'm trying to get after. Something like the Mandalorian Hunter Armor from the game looks like a solid contender; it could probably be replicated with a couple hours in CAD using the file I've already got

Karl Dha'Werda

• MMCC Karl & Rex Dha'Werda &RL/TDE Karl Darklighter
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Donated four quarters of 2023. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #4 on: Mar 16, 2023, 07:57 AM »
My helmet is already finished. It was the first thing I did when I learned that the Vizla design is allowed.

Did the same, found a helmet I loved Rohlan Dyre's style and then had to figure out the rest of the armor to fit in the crusader era.  Was also afraid of movability while in kit as you can read in my WIP on the first page.

As for the current chest plate: wouldn't your suggest of splitting it into a top and bottom be a modification of it that you're telling me would be a waste of time and money? I'm not really concerned about time or money, just confused on the advice. One tells me to modify the design that I've already got, another tells me to abandon it altogether

It was a long post last night, so I was a bit scramble brained when I wrote it out.  First option is to see if you can modify existing plate into two pieces to fit more time period.  If going the route as same plates as mine, shape ab plate similarly.

Second option would be to go with something similar to the image I posted with the hoses from chest to backplate (below).  I have a hose on my kit from the back apparatus to the helmet and an air filter device on the other side of the helmet.  Crusaders are mostly referenced with hoses so it would be a good route to include at least one hose.  I used a smaller hose for movability while in kit.

Third or last option, if neither of those options work for you then scrap the whole thing and start from scratch.

Fair warning I like to take pictures and I've written a novel, so be prepared for both.
Karl Dha'Werda Facebook
Oyu'baat Clan
OM Troops: 85
Mandalorian WIP
Late Crusader kit
B.E.A.R.D.S#137|Mando Rider#038|ALUMINATI#036 FMM|MLCS#026|Oribru Akaata#54|MVS#100
« Reply #5 on: Mar 16, 2023, 09:58 AM »
No worries on the wording last night. Looking back at my own, I realize I probably shouldn't have been typing when I was tired.

I'll start with reusing what I've got and going from there. I'm not going to get flagged if I don't use a hose, correct? I'm liking the look of this chest (below) and it seems easily workable with what I've already got

And for the sake of transparency with the build, here's my helmet

Jennari

• "I am the best. Always was." - Jango Fett
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022
« Reply #6 on: Mar 16, 2023, 01:56 PM »
That is a gorgeous buy'ce!  :like: :<3:

« Reply #7 on: Mar 16, 2023, 03:44 PM »
That is a gorgeous buy'ce!  :like: :<3:

Thank you! It's definitely my best work so far and I'm hoping to replicate it with the rest of the build

Duvnar

• Duvnar Machado
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ invasions in 2017
« Reply #8 on: Mar 18, 2023, 08:34 AM »
hi woody556 I'm glad you found someone to help you with your build you can still ask me questions on items as well I will try to answer them to the best of my knowledge but as t stated before I'm not familiar with the era

« Reply #9 on: Mar 18, 2023, 02:00 PM »
hi woody556 I'm glad you found someone to help you with your build you can still ask me questions on items as well I will try to answer them to the best of my knowledge but as t stated before I'm not familiar with the era

No worries Duvnar. Currently trying to figure out how to shape PVC for the chest plate. I made a longer post asking about this in the Armor Construction section if you want to check that out. I also plan on starting a WIP post on here as a place to collect all the info and progress I've got going

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!