Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Anyone have a Kama Pattern?

• 20 Replies
Anyone have a Kama Pattern?
« on: Mar 03, 2010, 10:57 AM »
I've looked all over the forums and can't seem to find a good pattern for a Kama. I picked up my Canvas yesterday and I'm ready to start but can't find one lol.. Anyone have one you could post or a general drawing so I can get started :>

Thanks
Obraa Ski

Dar'manda

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions.
Re: Anyone have a Kama Pattern?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 03, 2010, 01:01 PM »
Never seen a pattern on the forums, honestly.  People's kamas have varied in design.  Some use a simple rectangle wrapped around the waist.  I use a trapezoid shape connected together at the front.  I saw a really cool kama built with two large dinner napkins sewn at slight angles (making a triangle gap up the back) onto a belt.

Dha'ward Firaxan

• Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #2 on: Mar 08, 2010, 01:06 PM »
My two piece Kama is made of two pieces of black material sewed into the smaller belt i have inside my big belt.

Like Tag said there really hasn't been a real Pattern

Mandalorian Mercs - Firaxan Clan

TheMandoMan

• MMCC #0001
« Reply #3 on: Mar 08, 2010, 10:21 PM »
The best way would be to measure your waist and measure how long from the belt to wherever you want it to end (knee, mid-calf, etc).  Then decide if you want it to flow a little, in which case you would make the bottom of the kama a few inches wider on either side than the waist, so it would be a bottom-heavy trapezoid in shape.  Or if you want little to no slack, it'd be more like a rectangle.

Hope that made sense.   :P  I actually do not have experience in kama-making, but this is how I am planning to make mine.

« Last Edit: Mar 08, 2010, 10:24 PM by Raltho Valmas » Logged
"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later." -Mitch Hedberg

OriKad

• The Grizzled Old Sergeant of Mav Oya'la Clan
  • Awards Force Hunter Brigade Member Special Weapons 267th Rapid Assault Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Airmobile brigade member
« Reply #4 on: Mar 09, 2010, 10:22 AM »
A plain rectangle works great if you have a flat butt, but if you have a rounder behind, you'll need a plain rectangle with a dart or two at the top.

Chro

• Rebel Spy
  • Like lukewarm water.
  • Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #5 on: Mar 09, 2010, 10:36 AM »
Mine's just a rectangle looped around a belt, I never even did a proper measuring job. It's a finely crafted eyeballed rectangle though  :P

Chro on FB    |    Wampa Clan Ver’alor    |    Podcast Team

Mar'eyce

• Ma-ray-shay
« Reply #6 on: Mar 09, 2010, 01:45 PM »
My kama is trapezoid shaped(wider at the bottom) with a slit in the back. I find that this works very well for ease of movement.

Gratulor

• "Frihet fra Imperiet skal være vår mål! Oya!"
« Reply #7 on: Mar 09, 2010, 03:59 PM »
Depends on if you want your Kama to be a rectangle-shape like the Clone Commandos or a special shape. If you're going for the former, you can begin by taking a piece of fabric and measure the height and width you want and mark the corners of the shape. Be sure to leave enough space for the thread, more is better than less, and then cut out the pattern. You can mark in the back cutout afterwards and then sew the Kama. It's really simple.

Hope this helps.

Atma Brevar - Mandalorian Protector progress: 30% complete. (On hold since May, hopefully continued later this year)

GreatSkyRiver Falco

• Haamyc ner nu'amyc
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #8 on: Aug 07, 2010, 11:49 AM »
i got a question,

how is the kama attached? on its own belt?

with loops or rivets/velcro ?

I am stuck here, don't know if I should make loops to attach to any belt and be adjustable or bolt it to its own belt.

any advice or examples?

OriKebiin'traYustapir
Victory, not vengence.
reality is a hologram created by our minds.
M.A.J.I.C # 008

Bare Col'Mera

• "BAH-reh"
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #9 on: Aug 07, 2010, 02:31 PM »
I also have a kama question:  What materials are recommended?  I figure it should be something heavy so it hangs properly and doesn't bunch up or anything, but what has worked for everyone else?

GreatSkyRiver Falco

• Haamyc ner nu'amyc
« Reply #10 on: Aug 07, 2010, 02:42 PM »
mine is leather, no liner, from an old coat so it has a good weight to it.

OriKebiin'traYustapir
Victory, not vengence.
M.A.J.I.C # 008
« Reply #11 on: Aug 07, 2010, 05:20 PM »
I picked up a leathe skirt at the thrift store, undid the front seam and sewed in a loop at the top for a belt to run through.

OriKad

• The Grizzled Old Sergeant of Mav Oya'la Clan
  • Awards Force Hunter Brigade Member Special Weapons 267th Rapid Assault Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Airmobile brigade member
« Reply #12 on: Aug 07, 2010, 06:13 PM »
My kama is attached to the bottom of my vest, made of leather.  My wife's kama has its own belt, and is made of canvas.  Both of ours are a pair of simple rectangles overlapping slightly in the back.  To make that, measure your waist, divide by two, then measure waist to knee on the outside of your hip and cut your rectangles to that measurement + 1 inch (for edge finishing)

GreatSkyRiver Falco

• Haamyc ner nu'amyc
« Reply #13 on: Aug 07, 2010, 06:40 PM »
I picked up a leathe skirt at the thrift store, undid the front seam and sewed in a loop at the top for a belt to run through.

I was thinking the same with the loop, or maybe fold the top edge down and sew it like the way draw strings are exept a belt (and no cinching :P)

OriKebiin'traYustapir
Victory, not vengence.
M.A.J.I.C # 008

TheMandoMan

• MMCC #0001
« Reply #14 on: Aug 07, 2010, 07:22 PM »

I've wanted to try this, but I could never get up the courage to actually look at the skirts.  Maybe I could play stupid and say "Oh, this isn't the kilt section?"  :P

"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later." -Mitch Hedberg
« Reply #15 on: Aug 07, 2010, 07:25 PM »
I sewed off some trangles in the back / sides of the belt-line . Probably more comfortable for the ladies if the thing sits on the natural waist level.

This member has been permanently removed from the club by Dar'manda for violation of the Mandalorian Mercs Codex.
« Reply #16 on: Sep 06, 2010, 04:00 PM »
Good will  and other places have great deals, especiallly in denham springs, la and walker, la. i grabbed a leather dress  that was 2x aka, super big... now i can make  a  kama and covers for my boots

A warrior considers himself already dead, so there is nothing to lose. The worst has already happened to him, therefore he's clear and calm; judging him by his acts or by his words, one would never suspect that he has witnessed everything.

Aayhan be Akaan

• We'll have to go to... LUDICROUS SPEED!!!
« Reply #17 on: Sep 23, 2010, 05:23 PM »
I was in Joann's Fabrics and I snatched a skirt pattern that looked easily modifiable, along with some faux leather and felt (for lining), so that's where I'm going for my first try with a kama...

One question though: Can they be decorative, as in not just a flat color, not so "plain"?
Like as in a pattern, be it flashy or subtle...?

-AA

Armor - 40%
Main hand weapon - 100%
Off hand weapon - 40%
Soft parts - 30%
Bucket - 11%

[/u
« Reply #18 on: Oct 03, 2010, 07:30 AM »
Well one shouldn't use a rag of grandma's rose-patterned bedsheets for kama, but multicolored versions exist. Patched from two kinds of fabric, a flashy trim or lining... keep in mind that the Kama's original pupose is to protect the back of the legs, even against the exhaust of a jet-pack. While it certainly has a dressy air, the functional aspect shouldn't be dropped completely.

For example, I did some embroidery on my kama lately, but the thread is heavy duty / plastic ribbon and the purpose is to have loops to hook sheaths and holster to it.

The fixing concept was originally ment to go with my chain mail kama which naturally has plenty of rings to fix stuff. That one has an arrow design of black and silver rings to provide some distance of the medival realm. It looks and sounds great, but it's too heavy to wear all the time on multi-day events. I'm glad I have a choice now.

This member has been permanently removed from the club by Dar'manda for violation of the Mandalorian Mercs Codex.
« Reply #19 on: Oct 04, 2010, 05:05 PM »
Well one shouldn't use a rag of grandma's rose-patterned bedsheets for kama,

Aw man! Looks like I need to start over on mine!  :o

;)

Ven Kyrad

• I'm not mean. I just get paid to do mean things.
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #20 on: Oct 05, 2010, 10:39 AM »
For my kama, I just bought a black  leather skirt from a thrift store and cut the back zipper section out of the back and put light grey trim on it and Bam! Instant leather kama for under $10.

Cat #353
E.M.T.S #84

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!