Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Rangefinder stalk length

• 6 Replies
Rangefinder stalk length
« on: Mar 20, 2023, 05:28 PM »
Hi guys.
I've been to the Facebook group to get some info on my question but I wanted some definite approvable confirmation.

Can someone please confirm the length of Boba Fett style range finder stalk?
How high it clears the top of the helmet to where the rangefinder cap begins (so from very top of helmet to the end of the stalk) and,
How far it then sticks out forward when in lowered position? (so how for in front of the visor the range finder cap is)

I've scratch built my own helmet so some of the dimensions may be off, but I wanted to get the rangefinder stalk 'in scale' to what I've made.

Many thanks for your time. I hope my question makes sense.

Hodayc Goran

• 3D printing my brain/dumpster-diving for greeblies
Re: Rangefinder stalk length
« Reply #1 on: Mar 20, 2023, 06:38 PM »
Could you post a picture of your bucket with the dimensions either listed or written over the picture?

Ecclesiastes 4:12
“Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.”

3D Armorers and 3D Printing
General Concept Ideas
Soft Parts

jethroskull

• Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023.
« Reply #2 on: Mar 20, 2023, 06:47 PM »
The template doesn't have dimensions but you can base it on the 8.5x11 sheet

« Reply #3 on: Mar 21, 2023, 05:07 PM »
Here's a couple if images of my bucket with measurments. All in inches

« Reply #4 on: Mar 26, 2023, 08:09 AM »
Hi guys
I had a question about requirements if I may, can a range finder be attached to any mandalorian helmet ? I have a foreman helmet
Thank you : )  :jango:

Hodayc Goran

• 3D printing my brain/dumpster-diving for greeblies
« Reply #5 on: Mar 26, 2023, 03:01 PM »
I think you can use any sort of rangefinder or antenna. I actually intend to modify a Din Djarin bucket with a movable rangefinder on the right earcap. There are ways to modify the 3D files, or to do physical modifications with resin casts and scratch builds. I don't think rangefinders are specifically denied to custom buckets; however, if you were doing something like a canon Boba Fett build, the rangefinder would be part of the requirements you must have before you could get approval.

Summary: better to rangefinder than to not rangefinder, unless you are building a canon kit that does not have a rangefinder. You are building a custom kit, so you should be fine here.

Also, Peej, based on your measurements pic and other sources, I would say your rangefinder stalk should be about 6-7 inches long.

As you hopefully can see in the picture below, the rangefinder stalk I have for the Boba Fett helmet, at 100% scale, is 6.76inches long. Even if your helmet is skewed a little in certain dimensions, or smaller or larger than a standard 100% scale helmet, it should be fine as long as you keep the rangefinder around 6.25-7.5 inches long. Go a little longer for a bigger helmet, a little shorter for a smaller helmet. The scaling is really subtle for this particular component, so whatever is standard should fit fine, as long as it isn't, like, a foot long or two inches long or something like that.

If you want to see the image more clearly, left click on it and click "open image in new tab".

« Last Edit: Mar 27, 2023, 01:09 AM by Hodayc Goran » Logged
Ecclesiastes 4:12
“Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.”

3D Armorers and 3D Printing
General Concept Ideas
Soft Parts
« Reply #6 on: Mar 26, 2023, 09:35 PM »
Thank you so much!   :like:

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!