Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Capes. Or rather, my lack thereof.

• 5 Replies

Vestara Khai

• Munit tome'tayl, skotah iisa.
Capes. Or rather, my lack thereof.
« on: Mar 24, 2023, 02:10 PM »
I've got three yards of fabric for my cape but have yet to find a pattern. I have my eye on several, but could anyone point me in the direction of any? I'm thinking something similar to Din's, but shorter.
Vor'e!

Speak softly and carry a big stick.

“You know what ‘fine’ stands for? Freaked out, insecure, neurotic, and emotional.”

Current WIP- https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=231579.0

OriKad

• The Grizzled Old Sergeant of Mav Oya'la Clan
  • Awards Force Hunter Brigade Member Special Weapons 267th Rapid Assault Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Airmobile brigade member
Re: Capes. Or rather, my lack thereof.
« Reply #1 on: Mar 25, 2023, 12:49 PM »
For something like a cape, you don't really need a pattern since capes are pretty much just rectangles (or sometimes triangles for a more billowy look).  Take a rectangle, hem the edges, gather or pleat the top a little (if it's meant to secure at both shoulders.  No pleating or gathering if it's a single shoulder cape).

Tramp Graphics

• Illustrator
« Reply #2 on: Mar 25, 2023, 01:03 PM »
For something like a cape, you don't really need a pattern since capes are pretty much just rectangles (or sometimes triangles for a more billowy look).  Take a rectangle, hem the edges, gather or pleat the top a little (if it's meant to secure at both shoulders.  No pleating or gathering if it's a single shoulder cape).

Don't forget full circle and half-circle capes/cloaks.

Vestara Khai

« Reply #3 on: Mar 27, 2023, 01:07 PM »
Thanks, guys. My sewing skills are somewhat questionable, so I can use all the help I can get.   :D

“You know what ‘fine’ stands for? Freaked out, insecure, neurotic, and emotional.”

Second Son

• Awards Special Weapons EnviroOps Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #4 on: Mar 31, 2023, 10:05 AM »
Check out this segment from Jaren's Soft Parts build. It shows the beginnings of what OriKad is describing about pleating. The extensions of the U get pleated and pinned till they look right, then you can stitch them (color match thread) to stabilize the pleats. add some velcro and you're good to go. If you really want to use one, Jaren mentions the name of the pattern used. It's about $5 on Etsy.
I made a rectangular shoulder cape, Boba style and it was the simplest part of my kit - It's literally a rectangle of cloth with the edges hemmed and bolted onto my vest.
It gets the right amount of swoosh without getting in the way or covering armor too much.

Vestara Khai

« Reply #5 on: Mar 31, 2023, 02:56 PM »
Check out this segment from Jaren's Soft Parts build. It shows the beginnings of what OriKad is describing about pleating. The extensions of the U get pleated and pinned till they look right, then you can stitch them (color match thread) to stabilize the pleats. add some velcro and you're good to go. If you really want to use one, Jaren mentions the name of the pattern used. It's about $5 on Etsy.
I made a rectangular shoulder cape, Boba style and it was the simplest part of my kit - It's literally a rectangle of cloth with the edges hemmed and bolted onto my vest.
It gets the right amount of swoosh without getting in the way or covering armor too much.

Thanks! After some rumination, it probably would be easier to just make it a rectangle.
Also I wouldn't have to potentially spend money on a pattern, and I'm a bit of a cheapskate, so that's good.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!