Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Iviin Dartome's WIP

• 10 Replies

Calidus Dartome

• Saved a step...
Iviin Dartome's WIP
« on: Mar 08, 2010, 10:27 PM »
Well due to complications I am starting this thread for my younger sister (forum name is Iviin Dartome). She became interested in mandalorians because of me and now wants to make armor. I am helping her to make quality armor for low cost. So here we go.

My sister purchases a trash can for about 4 bucks and put the templates onto the trash can

Next is the dremeling of the plates. (Don't worry, I cut the pieces and safety measures were taken.)
Here is the ab plate cut out, the sides were then sanded with the dremel. Once the power tools were no longer needed, my sister sanded down the plate in a horizontal direction.

Next was the primer, about 4 coats and sanding

Then rub-n-buff was applied, "SHINY"

More work later...

Tassone Phoenix

• Proud Dune Sea Mando
  • Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Beastmaster Brigade Member Award for 50 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions
Re: Iviin Dartome's WIP
« Reply #1 on: Mar 09, 2010, 10:27 PM »
Looks good so far. That is so cool that you are helping your sister out. My family has been helping me and I don't know what I would do without them. I cut my trashcan armor with a box cutter and it sucked. It was so freaking hard. I think the blade wasn't sharp enough. Anyway I don't have a dremel but I have an off brand rotary tool. Can you take a pic of the tip you used to cut out the armor? Thanks and good luck with the armor build.

Tassone Phoenix aka Victoria 

Shonare Vhekadla Clan

Mandalorian Mercs Costume Club: #0333

M5: Mandalorian Mercs Mighty Mini Mando #3

My Mando WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=19027.0

My Mando's Beast Hunter Thread: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=70601.0

Verdika's thread: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=51095.0

Calidus Dartome

• Saved a step...
« Reply #2 on: Mar 09, 2010, 11:06 PM »
Thanks.
Here is what I used to cut the plates, basically the pointed ones in the pack. it was five dollars for one bit, or seven for a pack. I went with the pack and then if one goes bad there are spares.

For armor
Cut out more plates and sanded the sides, (note to self, use better breathing system, plastic everywhere!).

Then my sister sanded down the plates in a horizontal direction, then primed and sanded about three times.
Then she spent a great deal of time using the rub-n-buff to make them shiny. (the white plate is actually a neck armor template to be replaced by plastic)

Here is a picture of her, she doesn't have a flight suit yet so under the vest is a black turtleneck shirt. The plates are held on by velcro. The upper chest plates still stick away from the vest so more velcro will be added to fix this.

Tassone Phoenix

• Proud Dune Sea Mando
  • Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Beastmaster Brigade Member Award for 50 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #3 on: Mar 11, 2010, 12:05 AM »
What you guys have looks pretty cool. Thanks for posting those pics of the bits. I don't have any pointy ones like that. I might have to go to the store and buy a pack. Those bits would make things so much easier. Hopefully soon I will finish my kit and then make a kit for my little cousin using this trashcan method. Keep up the good work.

Tassone Phoenix aka Victoria 

Shonare Vhekadla Clan

Mandalorian Mercs Costume Club: #0333

M5: Mandalorian Mercs Mighty Mini Mando #3

My Mando WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=19027.0

My Mando's Beast Hunter Thread: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=70601.0

Verdika's thread: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=51095.0

Calidus Dartome

• Saved a step...
« Reply #4 on: Mar 16, 2010, 10:59 PM »
onto the Boot Plate
Here you can see the back plate, and the cup for the boot plate

A template was cut from paper and then drawn onto the cup. Then the cup was cut and roughly sanded with the dremel. The my sister continued hand sanding and then primed

Here it is sanded after the first prime. (note, that is not a hole, just where the plastic got interesting.)

Sentinel

• Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #5 on: Mar 17, 2010, 06:52 AM »
Have you tried the cutting wheels for the dremel??  I usually use those to cut out the big pieces then the small ones for detailing, but if the little pointy ones work, then keep it up. I know you can get either 5 big wheels for 5-6 bucks or 25 little wheels (not as tough) for about the same.
good luck,
GJ

Biohazard

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #6 on: Mar 17, 2010, 07:19 AM »
Actually, if you can manage it, buy the EZLock edition of the cutting wheel. It has a locking mechanism on it, and is easy to change wheels. Plus the wheels are made of Carbon Fiber, I do believe. I've been using the same wheel for almost a year now. Amazing product. Still have the other five backup wheels in my case.

I LOVE the idea of using a cup as the boot armor. I never thought of that before. :D Nice work!

The plates look good on her. Note, though, that when she's going to be putting them on the vest, she'll want them a little closer together, and possibly a little bit higher on her chest.

Anyways, great work so far guys! I'm impressed! ;D Don't lose steam! Keep going!

Jaing Vau

• "Verd ori'shya beskar'gam"
« Reply #7 on: Mar 17, 2010, 08:31 AM »
I got a 150pc dremel set at Wally world for $25 if that helps. It had like 2 of everything!  ;D

Calidus Dartome

• Saved a step...
« Reply #8 on: Mar 17, 2010, 01:58 PM »
OOOOH, that is on my list of tools to buy now, thanks.
Actually, if you can manage it, buy the EZLock edition of the cutting wheel.

redkraytdragon

• Disintigrations are likely...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #9 on: Mar 18, 2010, 02:51 AM »
Also seriously consider investing in a bench grinder. They are generally pretty cheap (around $30 - $50) and will save you a lot of time as well as get those edges cleaned up nice and smooth for ya!! ;)

« Last Edit: Mar 18, 2010, 03:16 AM by redkraytdragon » Logged

Calidus Dartome

• Saved a step...
« Reply #10 on: Mar 18, 2010, 03:14 AM »
POWERTOOLS! "drools on floor"

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!