Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

WhiteCrow1's New Soft Parts Progress

• 81 Replies

whitecrow1

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Re: WhiteCrow1's New Soft Parts Progress
« Reply #15 on: Apr 11, 2010, 10:43 PM »

here is a great look at my new design

"shoulders...you got 'em, I shot 'em"
« Reply #16 on: Apr 12, 2010, 12:02 AM »
Those soft parts look killer!  What kind of top is that in the second part of the video? 

« Reply #17 on: Apr 12, 2010, 12:21 AM »
Very nice! Did you make this vest of *doom* yourself?! If so, mind if I ask a few questions?

This member has been permanently removed from the club by Dar'manda for violation of the Mandalorian Mercs Codex.

Drak Fiurr Verda

• ...Mew...
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #18 on: Apr 12, 2010, 12:33 AM »
I sooo want that vest now ner vod haha.

R.I.P Chris, aka Remo Jadd
BVC Command Email: bvclan@mandalorianmercs.com

whitecrow1

« Reply #19 on: Apr 12, 2010, 01:06 AM »
to ijaat: yup...a few months of planning and only a few days of actual work on it...ask away lol

to drak: i wish i had the time to make more of these, otherwise i'd sell them. the materials i use are not cheap either...a good majority of it is made from cordura which is used in most tactical vests/equipment today.

to ke'pare: the top half of a flightsuit i picked up at an army/navy surplus store (well it was a whole flightsuit when i bought it lol)

« Reply #20 on: Apr 12, 2010, 01:14 AM »
to ke'pare: the top half of a flightsuit i picked up at an army/navy surplus store (well it was a whole flightsuit when i bought it lol)

SO I take it it had an unfortunate run in with out friend, the seamstress' shears?

whitecrow1

« Reply #21 on: Apr 12, 2010, 01:20 AM »
oh for sure lolol...then had to visit an even closer friend the sewing machine to save the edges xD

Voss626

• AR-5415
« Reply #22 on: Apr 12, 2010, 07:48 AM »
That vest is amazing. Very nice work. Out of curiosity, what is your plan for attaching the shoulder bells? Will they be strapped to the vest or do you just plan on attaching them to your flight suit? I'm trying to imagine how it will work with that flexible shoulder design.

"You can run, but you'll only die tired."
―Boba Fett
Deathwatch Supercommando Build -  http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=64121.0
« Reply #23 on: Apr 12, 2010, 08:24 AM »
About what was the width of the elastic used? It looks to be about 1" to 2"??

And what material was the body of the vest? If it was Cordura, any recommendation for a cheaper but similar material?

Any special kind of zipper?

Would the size of frequency of quick releases matter?

This member has been permanently removed from the club by Dar'manda for violation of the Mandalorian Mercs Codex.

whitecrow1

« Reply #24 on: Apr 12, 2010, 07:55 PM »
That vest is amazing. Very nice work. Out of curiosity, what is your plan for attaching the shoulder bells? Will they be strapped to the vest or do you just plan on attaching them to your flight suit? I'm trying to imagine how it will work with that flexible shoulder design.

;) you'll see later lol

About what was the width of the elastic used? It looks to be about 1" to 2"??

And what material was the body of the vest? If it was Cordura, any recommendation for a cheaper but similar material?

Any special kind of zipper?

Would the size of frequency of quick releases matter?

planning on stealing my design are we? lol jk jk...but yes the elastic is heavy duty 2". the buckles really dont matter...it just made sure they were the slightly curved ones so they dont stick out.  as for the material, the back is made out of 600den cordura. you can get it for like $10 a yard at the link below. the front is made out of some high density pleather/vynil that was like $30 a yard.

as for the alternative to cordura, get yourself some duck canvas. that is what i used for the side flaps on the vest mainly for the fact that its breathable and cordura is not.

link to cordura: http://www.fashionfabricsclub.com/search/search.aspx?source=searchbox&keywords=cordura

« Reply #25 on: Apr 12, 2010, 08:07 PM »
Would said cordura work all over?

I only ask as this looks like a system I might like to incorporate later this year when I begin upgrades.

whitecrow1

« Reply #26 on: Apr 12, 2010, 09:31 PM »
cordura is hard to work with...you have to go through many measures to soften it even slightly so you can sew

RoboEmma

• aka Roboemma
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #27 on: Apr 12, 2010, 09:33 PM »
Dang, that is sexy. Nice job!

~
« Reply #28 on: Apr 12, 2010, 09:35 PM »
Would a thinner pleather or vinyl, if found, offer roughly the same?

whitecrow1

« Reply #29 on: Apr 12, 2010, 10:10 PM »
Dang, that is sexy. Nice job!

glad i could actually please your eyes haha. you seem like a tough cookie to crack xD

Would a thinner pleather or vinyl, if found, offer roughly the same?

i dont understand what you mean by that lol

« Last Edit: Apr 12, 2010, 10:12 PM by whitecrow1 » Logged

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!