Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Re: Tutorial - Quick $5 Helmet Padding

• 14 Replies

Legion

• Good, bad...I'm the guy with guns on my wrists.
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023.
« on: Jan 05, 2008, 11:05 PM »
Dude, I sleep on your helmet padding. :D

| MMCC #0058 | Trendsetter: The original coated Mando.

Biohazard

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2008, 11:05 PM »
And I pick up Star Wars chicks at Conventions with it. Seems like this padding conquers both worlds!  :P  ;D

Legion

• Good, bad...I'm the guy with guns on my wrists.
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023.
« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2008, 11:15 PM »
 ;D

I'm biting back a truly hilarious and utterly crude comment right now.

;D

| MMCC #0058 | Trendsetter: The original coated Mando.

Dax Odesev

« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2008, 12:16 AM »
sweet

Biohazard

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #4 on: Jan 06, 2008, 12:36 AM »
I don't know why this passed my mind, but here is the solution that I think might work for securing it.

Regular old glue. Superglue, locktite, etc.........

However, it is permanent.

------

so.......

I'm thinking glue some velcro stripes to the helmet and to the padding. That way you can remove it. They sell stripes of it at walmart and it comes with both the loops and the hook pieces of the velcro. Some even have peel off backing with adhesive already there......

I'll test it and post the results.

Dar'manda

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #5 on: Jan 06, 2008, 10:50 AM »
Nice!  I used a spray glue made by Loctite...that stuff is PERMANANT.  I have cheek pads that get rubbed whenever I take my helmet on and off and they have yet to pull away from the plastic of the helmet.

« Reply #6 on: Sep 18, 2008, 09:16 PM »
I did this to my helmet tonight.Its actually a more comfortable fit than what I expected it to be. Im honestly pretty happy that I did this, so a very very huge thank you to Biohazard!

"Seek Not To Know All The Answers, But Rather, To Understand The Question"

Dar'manda

• Official Membership revoked, see signature.
« Reply #7 on: Sep 19, 2008, 01:08 AM »
my nose is REALLY crunched up i dunno what im gonna do lol

This member has been permanently removed from the club by Dar'manda for violations of the Mandalorian Mercs By-Laws.

Biohazard

« Reply #8 on: Sep 19, 2008, 02:30 AM »
One thing I've found to prevent a crunch on the old nose is to make the top padding section (in the dome) a sharp crescent shape instead of circular. You put the hold in the crescent towards the back to allow your head to sit back against the back of the dome. That usually helps it feel less crunched.

I'll try to get a pic of my current padding setup up soon.

Frost K'Amon

• We will bury them!
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #9 on: Sep 19, 2008, 03:44 AM »
I actually have a compression system on the "brow" section of my dome, which pushes my helmet back from my face. the padding is a rectangular shape with part of it cut out, into a shape that resembles the capital letter L, where the base of the L is longer than the height, and the base is attached at an angle to the dome just above the brow-line.

Mir'ika Tarvos

• Exit light, enter night.
« Reply #10 on: Oct 25, 2008, 05:46 PM »
Thank You, Biohazard!!  I just started on my helmet, and the question popped into my head as to what kind of foam people were using, and yours looks quite comfy!  Before starting on the customizing, my nose sure got scrunched up, so now I at least know how to fix it when I put the visor back in  ;D

"Train your sons to be strong but your daughters to be stronger."--Karen Traviss, Bloodlines

"I'm your hell, I'm your dream; I'm nothing in-between."
« Reply #11 on: Nov 05, 2008, 12:21 PM »
I used pieces of closed cell foam in a similar way to pad out my lid. Closed cell foam would be the stuff you find in (usually) either white or blue sheets. The most common familiarity people would have to it is probably in the form of backpackers' foam. I used dots of hot glue to hold it in place. Enough to hold it still but can be removed if needed.

I'm 97% brilliant. It's the other 4% I'm not sure about.
« Reply #12 on: Aug 10, 2009, 09:21 PM »
It seems like it does not really take much to do the whole padding of a helmet. I may consider using the bed spread for mine LOL!

Kora

• Queen of the Winter Harvest
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #13 on: Aug 10, 2009, 10:22 PM »
Resurrection of this thread reminded me that, while at Joann's yesterday, I saw a thick green foam that I thought might actually be pretty comfy for helmet padding. Not as dense as camping foam, but denser than the foam bedding. It was in the aisle with pillows and what not. I would've bought some to try out, but I've still got some of that foam bedding left. XD

So, if anybody wants to give some of that stuff a go, let us know how it works out. (Would definitely require a bit more cutting down than foam bedding. . it's a lot thicker.)

We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty.
- Mal, "Firefly"

Kora Solusar/Tiika Ruslin/Vaya Sinar Mendrosè

Rek Polus

• Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #14 on: Jan 19, 2010, 02:29 PM »
Works like a charm, do this if your new easy, quick, and fairly cheap, though was 12 bucks at current at Wal-Mart.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!