Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Flo Brin: Post Imperial Soft Goods

• 2 Replies

Flo Brin

• "Hettir te rusur!"
Flo Brin: Post Imperial Soft Goods
« on: Jun 01, 2023, 06:30 PM »
:porg1: Soft goods! Let's GO! :porg1:

So this will be more of an overview than a log since I'm just now starting up with forums again, and my soft goods are mostly done. Also only of my upgraded soft goods, not the old ones.

First of all, this was from my first attempt at soft goods:

A tip from past Flo: Don't sew double sleeves to the end of the short sleeve. Does not look as accurate and it takes away some flexibility.

Flightsuit Jacket

I created my flighsuit from scrubs from Walmart. Instead of buying two pairs of pants, I opted to buy a scrub jacket to use with the scrub shirt for the jacket portion of the flightsuit.

First I seam ripped the arms off, then I seam ripped the front two panels. I popped the snaps off and replaced it with a separatable zipper for convenience.

I also added a little piece of velcro to the top to help keep the zipper flap down.

I seam ripped the front panel of the scrub shirt out and traced the shape onto the panel I replaced it with

The scrub jacket sleeves were altered and cut to have a more snug fit. Before sewing it back together, I added contrast stitching to the short sleeve portion and the long sleeve portion. Unfortunately I did not take any pictures of the process, but I sewed the sleeve back onto the jacket by sandwiching the long sleeve between the short sleeve and the jacket. After that I sewed the sleeve on like one normally sews a sleeve on.

Reference of what it looks like all sewed together! I did add some contrast stitching down the front of the jacket before sewing the sleeves on. I would also reccomend adding some elastic loops onto the end of your sleeves so it doesn't bunch up in your gauntlets if you go the route I did.

Sideview of the sleeve! Came out very nice, and I'm still very happy with it!

After I finished the jacket, I decided to kit up and take note of the things I had left to do on my soft goods. At this point it was:

• Add bias tape to flak vest sleeves

• Change girth belt to cummerbund since it kept wanting to ride up anyways

• Make new gaiters (the old ones were store bought, and certainly not made for us short Mandos)

• Tailor pants

• Get new gloves

(Also, fyi, flak vest pattern is from Sionnach Studios on Etsy. I do not have any wip stuff from when mine was made, but Sionnach provides a very quality, visual guide on how to sew this flak vest)

Girth Belt To Cummerbund

The girth belt was actually really easy to modify into a cummerbund. I just needed to make an apron extension. Also, apologies, no wip stuff from my girth belt either. Essentially, it's just a pleated tube with quilter's batting inside. Mine closes from the front with snaps and velcro.

I sewed the apron together, pressed it flat with an iron, and added some quilter's batting in the middle.

I topstitched the top and sewed half of it onto the top side of the girth belt (top closure, that is). At this point, all I needed to do was add the snaps that kept the new apron flap over the top of girth belt, transforming it into a proper cummerbund fit for a lady Mando such as myself! (Or any Mando with hips)

Visual reference as to how it's sewed/snaps together.

Gaiters

The gaiters I had beforehand were not made for short Mandos like me. They were great for what they were, but they weren't MMCC worthy enough to me with how they looked on my legs. Too tall, too tight, and therefore, weird looking.

See, I look like a faun, those are goat legs.

So, scrapped those, the pants and gaiters. I made new gaiters using a Bo Katan gaiter pattern from Sionnach Studios, 10/10 reccomend these people for your fem PI soft goods needs.

Again, won't have much of a build log, and more of an overview of how I made them. Sionnach Studios provides visual guides with most of their patterns.

I used pleather upholstery from Walmart, the back half has embossed dots on it, which will make for some lovely weathering and adds texture to what would otherwise be very boring gaiters.

The stitching was very fun to do! The topstitching especially. I would reccomend not skipping this step when you make gaiters, it's makes it so neat and clean!

A sideview of the gaiters, they don't have elastic stirrups sewed on in this picture

Finished with elastic stirrups installed! Notice the fabric sewed onto the bottom for extra wear and tear protection.

Boots

I ditched the chelsea boots! Although very awesome looking, I wanted to break up all of the dark greys and blacks a bit. These are repurposed combat boots from another cosplay, I remember getting them from Walmart for like 15 dollars. I had to strip the old paint off, which was forced very easy with an alchohol prep pad. I used Angelus acrylic leather paint in grey and painted the caps and heels. Cherry on top? This is the same paint that was used to paint my belt, so it ties in nicely.

I do like these vibes way more than the other boots. Still some finicking to do with the gaiters to get them to sit a little nicer, but this is a good look.

« Last Edit: Jun 29, 2023, 02:26 AM by Flo Brin » Logged
Help me get to MercsCon!
https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=242433.msg2448520#msg2448520

"Hettir te rusur!"
Aka, "Burn the ships!"

- N.O.S #51 - W.A.W #4

Armor WIP
Soft Goods WIP
Helmet WIP
Re: Flo Brin: Post Imperial Soft Goods
« Reply #1 on: Jun 06, 2023, 11:46 AM »
Looks great so far. What are you using for boots?

Flo Brin

• "Hettir te rusur!"
Re: Flo Brin: Post Imperial Soft Goods
« Reply #2 on: Jun 07, 2023, 01:06 AM »
Looks great so far. What are you using for boots?

Just some regular chelsea boots! You can really get em' anywhere where shoes are sold.

Help me get to MercsCon!
https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=242433.msg2448520#msg2448520

"Hettir te rusur!"
Aka, "Burn the ships!"

- N.O.S #51 - W.A.W #4

Armor WIP
Soft Goods WIP
Helmet WIP

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!