Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

WIP - Armorer

• 20 Replies

angele

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Family events 15+ clan level invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
WIP - Armorer
« on: Aug 25, 2023, 08:49 PM »
My Mando name is Ca’tra Senaar and I’ve been an official member since 2014. You might remember my late Crusader official kit.

I have to admit that I’m very excited about the Armorer. I see her as a very wise warrior with some pretty staunch viewpoints on the way her covert should behave. She always makes sense and is readily followed by her people. She is wise enough to stretch and change her viewpoints to become more inclusive of other Mandos for the health of the culture.
Her kit is well used and well loved. It has an antiqueness about it. I will strive to do her proud.

This build is based on the screen used costume displayed in the Mandalorian Experience at Star Wars Celebration 2022.

THE FLIGHT SUIT

I chose to do a two-piece flight suit; it just makes sense for a female. I chose two patterns which I have made before and I know they fit me. The shirt pattern has a front opening, but it can be moved it to the back and the pants have a side seam which can be removed.

I bought the fabric at a local fabric store. I was able to find a nice greyish green cotton duck. I washed and dried it four times to add some instant weathering.

The screen used costume showed a very obvious side pleat with contrasting piping in the pants. Also, notice the nice greyish green fabric!

I started with the pants, making a mock-up of the side pleat to find out just how much extra width I needed to add. It was five inches!

The pattern I started with had side seams which I needed to take out so I joined the front to the back and added five inches in the middle. The fabric is completely non-stretchy so I also had to add a few inches in the seat area so I could sit down.

Then I sewed them up to try on.   

After making them up in the fabric and tucking them into boots, I decided to take them in quite a bit. I left just enough room to bend my knees. This picture told the truth.

The screen used costume showed an obvious back closure and princess seams in front and back.

CONTINUED IN NEXT POST

angele

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Family events 15+ clan level invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
Re: WIP - Armorer
« Reply #1 on: Aug 25, 2023, 08:54 PM »
CONTINUATION OF FLIGHT SUIT

The shirt pattern I used had a front closure which required me to move it from the front to the back.

The shirt is pretty snug so I added an underarm gusset which the actual costume has too.

Here I am wearing the flight suit! I am rather pleased.

« Last Edit: Aug 25, 2023, 09:12 PM by angele » Logged

angele

« Reply #2 on: Aug 27, 2023, 08:06 PM »
THE APRON

I was very pleased to find this faux leather for the apron. It is very soft and has just the right weathering.

I used a brown linen fabric as the lining of the apron. I planned to sew each tier to the linen starting from the bottom and going up.

Each tier had to be fitted to my body individually.

I used a thinner, more flexible pleather for the trim on the edges of the tiers and around the “Y” shapes on the back. I must say, I am most pleased!

THE BOOTS

I was extremely lucky to find a half a cow hide locally in just the right color for the gaiters, spats and gloves.

The boots were bought at a thrift store with great effort to find just the right type of sole with no real heel. The plan was to dedicate these boots to the kit.

Using the same thinner pleather as the skirt edging, I sewed box pleats for the gaiter trim.

The gaiters were pretty straight forward and simple but the spats had to be fitted to the boots.
The toe caps were 3D printed but had to be sized down tremendously. They were printed at 75%.

With the toe caps painted and weathered, I epoxied the spats to the toe caps to prevent slipping. Then I weathered the leather and the boots are ready to go!

Here’s me wearing the flight suit, apron, and boots.

Geila Alo

• Awards Clan Growth
« Reply #3 on: Aug 29, 2023, 12:21 PM »
Wow, you have done a really amazing work! And thank you for the detailed wip, it will be helpful for others  :D.
The only thing that can be good to think about is the colors of the gaiters and the pleated leather band. As seen in visuals the gaiters are darker in color than the pleated band. It would be a good idea to try to get the gaiters more dark brown. Keep up the good work!

Geila

angele

« Reply #4 on: Aug 30, 2023, 09:13 PM »
Wow, you have done a really amazing work! And thank you for the detailed wip, it will be helpful for others  :D.
The only thing that can be good to think about is the colors of the gaiters and the pleated leather band. As seen in visuals the gaiters are darker in color than the pleated band. It would be a good idea to try to get the gaiters more dark brown. Keep up the good work!

Geila

RECOLOR BOOTS

Greetings Gelia Alo, Thank you so much for your suggestion of darkening the leather of the spats and gaiters. The recolor project also gave me the opportuntiy to fix another annoying fit problem. I have always thought the gaiters were too slouchy so I inserted large cable ties into the top hem seam and up the Velcro on the inside. What a nice difference! The gaiters stand up now more like the srceen-used costume.

I used a wet method to recolor the leather. I mixed up some VERY thinned acrylic paint and got a color I liked.

Using a sponge brush, I coated the leather and let it dry. Then I masked the leather and painted the trim with a very thin light pinkish color.

I am very pleased with the results. I hope you are too.

Geila Alo

• Awards Clan Growth
« Reply #5 on: Aug 31, 2023, 10:17 AM »
Wow! Looks so much better and I really loved your idea with the large cable  ;D

Geila

angele

« Reply #6 on: Sep 03, 2023, 03:38 PM »
GLOVES

I have very small hands and was having a terrible time finding gloves in brown leather which weren’t floppy and too big, so I decided to make a custom pair. It was a very steep learning curve, having never made a pair of gloves before. Thank goodness for the internet! This is the very helpful website I used:
https://www.theshapesoffabric.com/2022/02/15/exploring-how-to-make-gloves-from-scratch/

Following the directions on the website for measuring, I was able to draw a pattern.

I then transferred the pattern to my plastic material and made a mock-up.

I cut the pattern pieces out of the same leather I had used for the spats and gaiters.
I hand-sewed the gloves and was very pleased with the results. 

Next was the quilting of the glove gauntlet/cuff. 

The first was was a bit wonky but I learned a lot and the second one came out much better.

It was extremely difficult to sew the gauntlet/cuffs onto the hands. The cuffs are quite stiff and would not allow me to turn them inside out. I had to leave the side seam open, sew around the wrist, then sew up the long seam as I went along. 

I used the same thinner pleather which I trimmed the apron in and made the cuffs on the gaunltlet/cuffs

Notice that the weathering on the gloves in the screen worn costume have distinctly lighter lines where the stitching is.

I decided to mask off the lighter areas. 

Using a wet method, I daubed on extremely watered down acrylic paint.

After they dried, and I removed the masking, I used a wire brush to lighten the weathering.

BELT

I made the entire belt from faux leather. It was a ballet of making parts, trying it on, readjusting and remaking. I failed to take WIP pictures because of frustration, so here are the finished parts.
The greeblies were 3D printed which I finished and weathered.

I really like the fit and the look of my belt.

I am hoping to upgrade the rectangular greeblie to a curved one when someone creates a curved 3D print file.
I made sure that the hammer handle fits into the empty front middle loop.

SHOULDER ARMOR

I chose shaped bump caps as a base to my shoulder armor. Bump caps are a step down from a hard hat and not OSHA compliant but can still be bought as a safety item.

Using the same faux leather as the skirt, I cut 5/8” strips and wove them to fit the bump cap shapes. Thinner pleather was used for the edge trim, which I sewed on the front, wrapped it around to the back, then “stitched in the ditch” to secure it to the edge.

The woven faux leather was epoxied to the bump cap forms.

Here’s me wearing the flight suit, apron, boots, gloves, belt and shoulder armor.
The boots have not been modified and darkened in this photo.

Geila Alo

• Awards Clan Growth
« Reply #7 on: Sep 04, 2023, 02:06 PM »
Sewing gloves by hand is no easy task, so well done!  ;D

Since the CRL says that the gloves should be made of "suede or suede-like material", you could try sanding the leather until it becomes fuzzy, so that they look more suede-like. I also think it could be a good idea to try to even out the weathering on the gloves.

Ares X

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions Family events 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #8 on: Sep 05, 2023, 10:30 AM »
Beautiful work (as always)!

Trent

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Family events
« Reply #9 on: Sep 05, 2023, 11:38 AM »
Thank you for spending the time to do this WIP and sharing your knowledge and skill. I expected beautiful results from you, and we were not disappointed. Even after seeing the screen used costume, I still mix yours and it up in the photos.

Naasad Tal

• "Aliit ori'shya tal'din"
  • Awards 150 troops 15+ clan level invasions Family events 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #10 on: Sep 09, 2023, 02:14 AM »
Absolutely amazing!

Chris S. OM# 454
Shonare Vhekadla Clan #33
Brigades: Desert Ops #2
Societies: VRCA #20, Elegant Mando #66, Cabur Akaata #72, Vode Be Vhekad #2

angele

« Reply #11 on: Sep 12, 2023, 03:29 PM »
Sewing gloves by hand is no easy task, so well done!  ;D

Since the CRL says that the gloves should be made of "suede or suede-like material", you could try sanding the leather until it becomes fuzzy, so that they look more suede-like. I also think it could be a good idea to try to even out the weathering on the gloves.

Another very good suggestion! I used 60 grit sandpaper on the hand part of the gloves to break the shine. I also used a razor to shave the long hairs from the suede part on the back of the hand and cuffs. I think they look a lot better.

Geila Alo

• Awards Clan Growth
« Reply #12 on: Sep 13, 2023, 12:20 AM »
The gloves looks more like suede-like material now  :D.

angele

« Reply #13 on: Sep 13, 2023, 04:33 PM »
HARD PARTS

I used Mysterymakers files to 3D print all my hard parts. I was very lucky to have a good friend do the printing so we could fit the chest and helmet to my body. 

Plant based UV resin was used to coat the printed pieces then they were put out in the sun to cure. Resin, cure, sand, repeat, MANY times until all print lines and pits were completely filled in. Eventually 600 grit sandpaper was used to finish each piece. 

CHEST and BACK PLATES
Print lines were still apparent at this point so back to work!

When I was completely satisfied, I primed the chest and back pieces, sanded with 600 grit sandpaper, then started painting the red color. I found out that car companies don’t want to use the same color as other car companies, so at the auto parts store there were several different names for the exact same color. I happened to find a nice red for Ford brand cars.

The red was a bit too red for my taste so I did a very fine dusting of brown to cut the red.

After curing for several days, I was excited to do the detail work. Using a toothbrush and four different watered-down acrylic paints, I flicked spots all over the chest and back plates. I also did some weathering and smudging with acrylics.

Several semi-gloss topcoats were sprayed on to finish the pieces.

BALACLAVA

I was thrilled to find this photo of Emily Swallow in costume with her helmet off!

Here’s me wearing the flight suit, apron, boots, gloves, belt, shoulder armor, balaclava, chest and back pieces.
The boots have not been modified and darkened in this photo.

After scrutinizing these photos, I decided the chest piece was floating too far from my body so some adjustments were needed. I made a strap from the same fabric as the flight suit and epoxied on some strap hangers to hold the chest piece snug against my body.

It worked out well and will not show at all.

Geila Alo

• Awards Clan Growth
« Reply #14 on: Sep 14, 2023, 01:25 PM »
Hello

Wow, you have really put in a lot of work.

I see some things that you need to consider. At first, make sure that the weave on the shoulder armor are 45 degrees.
The chest armor looks to be too big for you and therefore there is alot of floating. There should also be a space between the chest armor and the belt. I put in comparence visuals so you can see what I meen.

The shape of the backplate sadly looks to be incorrect. I put in comparence with visuals.

I am glad that you could find a photo of Emily Swallow in costume with her helmet off. I love your balaclava!

Just keep up the work, I am looking forward to see your kit get approved!

Geila

Dhagon Varad

• Adam Beck #1243
« Reply #15 on: Sep 17, 2023, 01:48 PM »
Hi Geila,

My Veralor is printing the parts for this kit for Angele.
Do you have a recommendation on back plates? with that being the only shot in the entire show of the back plate for the Armorer, not one of the 3d modeling artists can agree on its design. Angeles here is based on (modified) the back plate as seen on the hot toys action figure. would it be acceptable un modified(meaning as shown below)?

If you can point us to an approvable back plate we can work on getting that printed for her. But with the limited references and the fact its covered up 99.9% of the time even in costume I question if the Hot toys design is not sufficient as it seems to match up with the image pretty well.

Thanks for the help.

« Last Edit: Sep 17, 2023, 02:25 PM by Dhagon Varad » Logged

Geila Alo

• Awards Clan Growth
« Reply #16 on: Sep 25, 2023, 10:07 AM »
Hi

I had a discussion with the Brigade team for Canon about a Vendor name for the backplate. We think that the backplate that you can find at Do3D.com would be a good option.

Geila

angele

« Reply #17 on: Feb 22, 2024, 10:43 AM »
NEW BACKPLATE

As per a suggestion by the approval team, I purchased the backplate file from Do3D, had it printed then finished it. I used UV resin, with lots of sanding, back and forth until smooth. Then filler primer, chrome spray paint, Toreador red spray paint, flicks of acrylic in dark black/brown, a very light dusting of gold for a bronze/red then a final matte clear coat. It came out well!

I also dusted the chest plate with gold to achieve the bronze/red color of the screen used costume.

« Last Edit: Mar 27, 2024, 04:40 PM by angele » Logged

angele

« Reply #18 on: Mar 27, 2024, 04:37 PM »
I am very happy to announce that after nine more fixes, my Armorer has been made official!

Naasad Tal

• "Aliit ori'shya tal'din"
  • Awards 150 troops 15+ clan level invasions Family events 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #19 on: Mar 27, 2024, 04:41 PM »
Congrats! Well deserved!!

Chris S. OM# 454
Shonare Vhekadla Clan #33
Brigades: Desert Ops #2
Societies: VRCA #20, Elegant Mando #66, Cabur Akaata #72, Vode Be Vhekad #2

Geila Alo

• Awards Clan Growth
« Reply #20 on: Mar 28, 2024, 12:31 AM »
Congrats!  :D

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!