Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Flak Vest Material, Vinyl, PVC pleather, etc.

• 8 Replies

Dorn Has'skyrek

• Deserve's got nothing to do with it.
Flak Vest Material, Vinyl, PVC pleather, etc.
« on: Mar 29, 2010, 11:09 AM »
I'm looking at getting material, at walmart, the material there is a faux leathercloth  that seems very thin, like I'd need to double it or add some fabric backing is this the thickness I can expect from online viny/pvc pleather?  I've got a few sources but wanted to know if anyone could shed some light on this for me, if the thickness is the same I'd save S&H just getting it locally. 

Also is it better to avoid pvc pleather or vinyl as I've read pvc doesn't breath very well, I don't know about some of the vinyl pleather fabrics or if that is the same as what I saw in walmart or not.  I don't know if anyone made something out of PVC pleather and having wore it decided to never do that again.  Thanks for any suggestions/help you may have.

Here is an example of a vinyl I'm considering:
http://www.denverfabrics.com/catalog_itemdetail.aspx?ItmID=VY109

BedlamX

• Reconciler
  • Awards Family events 15+ clan level invasions 15+ clan level invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Re: Flak Vest Material, Vinyl, PVC pleather, etc.
« Reply #1 on: Mar 29, 2010, 03:05 PM »
Not sure of the wieght of what you are looking at, but if you really like the look of the material, you can always sew in a liner of good weight duck cloth. That will give you some added strength to less rigid materials.

Vinyl, PVC, pleather...none I have ever found breath. It's just the nature of the beast. For the vest, it's not much problem since the rest of the kit can be made of cotton blends and/or other breathable materials. Natural materials (leather and such) breathe, synthetics usually do not.

I make a lot of stuff out of vinyl/pleather. I really like it (especially since I can not afford real leather). I hate ordering it on line, though. Colors almost never match what my screen shows and weights are almost impossible to tell from a description. I've also dealt with Denver Fabrics a bit and they will send you a swatch of anything they sell if you give them a call and ask. It used to be some minimal cost and you had to pay the shipping, but it is much better to do that than buy a lot of material you will never use.

"Remember, Private..Friendly Fire is not a nice warm place you and your hippy buddies sit around at night toasting marshmallows and singing Kumbaya." --Me to one of my troops way back when

Dorn Has'skyrek

« Reply #2 on: Mar 29, 2010, 05:45 PM »
Thanks, I know it isn't going to be cool all geared up, flight suit, flak vest, armor plates, helmet etc but if there is anything I should avoid material wise I'd rather ask before I tack another layer on.  I've never made any clothing item except a scarf, I think  ???,  in home economics way back when so my experience with fabric is severely lacking.

I'm even thinking of cutting out the back of a flight suit/shirt and sewing in some mesh to breathe more since it would be covered by armor and or a cape.

Aysel

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #3 on: Mar 30, 2010, 01:25 AM »
don't use vinyl, I've worked with it before and it's a big pain in the shebes, if you can find it at your walmart for for duck cloth or twill, if your pleather is a decent weight that can work too. keep in mind that whichever fabric your going to use needs to be heavy enough to keep it's shape with the extra weight of the armor plates on it. You can also double up the vest by basically doing a vest within a vest and using interfacing between the layers to give it added stiffness, if your gonna do that just make sure the fabric you use can be ironed.

tal nu'gotalu verd - ijaat vaabi
MAJIC (Mandos against jetpacks in combat) member #001

M5 #33

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #4 on: Mar 30, 2010, 01:43 AM »
I've used vests made out of vinyl without noticing too much extra weight difference. Duck cloth also works well and breaths well, but if you're using metal plates, it'll end up sagging eventually, in my experience. As for Walmart's faux leathercloth...do you mean fashion nubuck? That's what my current vest is made out of, constructed by the illustrious vest-maker Mar'ecye. She backed it with duck cloth, because it is kind of thin, but the result is pretty much the same breathability as vinyl, though it looks rather a bit better.

You might want to think of using either backed fashion nubuck, or vinyl, and simply using mesh material to create vents on the flanks. Pretty much any material is going to have its drawbacks, you just have to make sure you balance durability with comfort.

QMU 72| M.A.B.E.L. 77| Cabur Akaata 144

OriKad

• The Grizzled Old Sergeant of Mav Oya'la Clan
  • Awards Force Hunter Brigade Member Special Weapons 267th Rapid Assault Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Airmobile brigade member
« Reply #5 on: Mar 30, 2010, 07:15 AM »
Don';t worry about breathability.  If the clones and TKs can deal with a non-air-moving torso, so can Mandos.  Having the vest actually FIT is more important.

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #6 on: Mar 30, 2010, 12:51 PM »
If we wanted non-air-moving torsos, we'd do clone or stormy armor :P.

QMU 72| M.A.B.E.L. 77| Cabur Akaata 144

Dar'manda

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #7 on: Mar 30, 2010, 12:59 PM »
I've got a vinyl vest, it's not breathable...but neither is my helmet or fully covered skin. :P  I haven't had issues with it.  It does tend to collect a lot of sweat behind it, but so do the plates on my thighs and shins.

Dorn Has'skyrek

« Reply #8 on: Mar 30, 2010, 01:09 PM »
This thread is starting to get a bit grimey.  ;D

It might have been fashion nubuck, I've heard/read that somewhere before and that might be from where it seemed like it would need some sort of backing so I'll give it a try.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!