Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

SpecOps V2 Vest (First Troop Update 5/2/10)

• 16 Replies

No'saj Huune

• Nomad in Killeen/Ft. Hood
Re: SpecOps V2 Vest (Pic Intensive)
« Reply #15 on: Apr 21, 2010, 08:44 PM »
Never thought about spraying it but maybe for the next one I will  ;D

Those who wander aren't always lost.

No'saj Huune

• Nomad in Killeen/Ft. Hood
Re: SpecOps V2 Vest (First Troop Update 5/2/10)
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2010, 02:20 AM »
Well I performed my first troop on May 1st for Free Comic Day with my clan mates and put the SpecOps V2 to the test...

This was taken before I realized my center diamond had fallen off, but as you can see it worked out pretty well.  The armor is held on by heavy duty snaps and I have to tell you that this vest is a pain in the shebs to align everything correctly but heres the run down.

Cons:
  • If the vest is loose on you at all it will shift position every time you take it off to line up a piece of armor. 
  • Once zipped up the "lines" are not perfectly aligned so the best thing to do is start with your collar armor and go from there. 
  • You will have to remove a ton of extra straps, the shoulder velcro straps (unless you can figure out a way to use them), the D-rings on the chest, and several of the holders.
  • For those of us of "larger stature and proportions" once the cinch belt is on the bottom of the vest can and will ride up so you'll have to cinch it a bit higher than normal.

Pros:
  • Very light weight even with armor and a cape attached.
  • The mesh is very breathable.  I could feel the wind flowing through it keeping me cooler than I expected.
  • Once you do get the snaps on the only pieces of armor you'll have to take off is the ab-plate and collar, everything else can stay on!
  • Easy to fold over in the arm holes.  You can see in the pic how my left side looks great, but the right it came loose, but thats a simple fix with some stitching.
  • The cinch belt helps with your posture like you wouldn't believe!  No slouching allowed at all, it kind of works like a back brace or weight lifters belt applying a small amount of pressure on your lower back for support.  In the four hours I was wearing it I never once felt like slouching over nor did my back hurt.

So all in all I recommend the vest for trooping but definitly try it on more than once in full kit to know where to place your girth belt and/or tactical belt.  I had mine over the lower backside and just at the bottom of the front, but one time bending over to pick up my weapon and it slid right off the front.  Not sure how to fix that though.

Another thing that kinda got to me but wasn't a big deal is the neck guard.  With my buy'ce on I could hear it rubbing against the inside of it which got annoying real fast (but to be honest I didn't have all the padding installed yet).  Also the neck guard can and probably will get caught on the bottom rear portion of your buy'ce, so take care to put on your buy'ce so it doesn't happen to you.

Oh and I didn't end up using some "ice packs" in the back pouch like I thought I would have to, the weather was very nice and breezy so there was no need.  However at home the night before the troop I did put a few in to test it out and let me tell you I was freezing with them on my back but was overall very very cool, even in my buy'ce.

So yeah, this vest did exactly what I thought it would and then some.  And if you're like me and a "larger than normal" sized vod this will probably work for you.

Those who wander aren't always lost.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!