Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

WIP: Post-Imperial Soft Parts (Flight Suit, Vest, and Leather Work!)

• 32 Replies

Tramp Graphics

• Illustrator
I prefer either front or side closures. I'll never do a back closure. Front closure is my recommendation.

mitchard

• Gurreck Clan Foundling
I prefer either front or side closures. I'll never do a back closure. Front closure is my recommendation.
I can definitely see the different benefits of front, side, or back.

This vest design in particular didn't have a side closing option in the patterns, and I am still enough of a sewing novice that I didn't trust my abilities to modify it enough to make it side closing while still looking good haha.

The decision to go front or back opening will largely depend on what I end up doing for a jetpack harness. I'd like to keep it as simple as possible. Kinda of planning to do something custom, but similar to this design. It would work well with a back closing vest, but would be exponentially easier to put on with front closing imo.

https://redmanstudioworkshop.com/products/jetpack-harness

Tramp Graphics

• Illustrator
Go with what's easiest. Trust me.  :8):

Karl Dha'Werda

• MMCC Karl & Rex Dha'Werda &RL/TDE Karl Darklighter
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Donated four quarters of 2023. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions.
The most common method is a rear closure vest and it has been tried and true with jetpacks.  There are two slits at the top of the flak vest where the jetpack harness comes through the back.  This is the method most everyone with Boba/Jango style jetpack uses.  You usually can't see this because of the back plate.

With the style jetpack harness below you'd have to work it differently as the harness is built into the frame so that will be up to you if you get this style harness.  Easiest isn't always the best.

The decision to go front or back opening will largely depend on what I end up doing for a jetpack harness. I'd like to keep it as simple as possible. Kinda of planning to do something custom, but similar to this design. It would work well with a back closing vest, but would be exponentially easier to put on with front closing imo.

Fair warning I like to take pictures and I've written a novel, so be prepared for both.
Karl Dha'Werda Facebook
Oyu'baat Clan
OM Troops: 85
Mandalorian WIP
Late Crusader kit
B.E.A.R.D.S#137|Mando Rider#038|ALUMINATI#036 FMM|MLCS#026|Oribru Akaata#54|MVS#100

mitchard

• Gurreck Clan Foundling
The most common method is a rear closure vest and it has been tried and true with jetpacks.  There are two slits at the top of the flak vest where the jetpack harness comes through the back.  This is the method most everyone with Boba/Jango style jetpack uses.  You usually can't see this because of the back plate.

With the style jetpack harness below you'd have to work it differently as the harness is built into the frame so that will be up to you if you get this style harness.  Easiest isn't always the best.

Thanks for the info, much appreciated! Any recommendations for different styles of harnesses?

Edit: Nevermind, I see what you're saying after looking around online and checking the blog that image came from. I definitely do like the strap and loop style more than the rigid frame I posted.

It looks like something as simple as a sled pulling harness would do the trick after adding some straps for the D-rings or whatever, assuming it can't be seen though the neck/arm openings of the flak vest.

« Last Edit: Mar 27, 2024, 06:21 PM by mitchard » Logged

mitchard

• Gurreck Clan Foundling
New flight suit parts are in! Went with dark brown Red Cap workwear separates. The colors/material of all of the parts match nicely, just need to get to sewing now. Pants and arms will definitely need to be taken in a bit. I got a short sleeve and long sleeve shirt, so I'll be able to do the double sleeve look!

Ended up missing the Gurreck armor party last weekend, but still managed to get a few things done that I was hoping to do while there.

Put together a few Gurreck Tusk trophies for my belt! Found these neat bone beads at a local flea market. Figured they might make a nice addition to the overall aesthetic of a tusk trophy. Also whipped up another hanger for the belt, this time using a snap so I could easily access the d-ring for adding/removing stuff as time goes on. Was able to get it mounted using the same Chicago screw attaching the holster. Less holes in the belt is always nice, though it would have been hidden anyways. I still want to add a bit more to the trophies. While simple, it kind of feels like it needs at least one more thing. I might try to incorporate the Wookie braid I got from the Abominable Snowmando awhile back!  :cookie:

This one is still pretty rough and needs some finishing work (including hoisting it up a bit so it isn't dipping downwards), but I managed to throw together a thermal detonator pouch using an old leather belt that hasn't fit me in like 10 years.

Also swapped out the three individual Serbian ammo pouches for a single piece double pouch I had laying around. The three all together was feeling kind of bulky on that side of the belt, the double pouch seems like a better fit.

Once I get the belt accessories feeling a bit more complete (and have the flight suit weathered) I'll be weathering them all up at once to make sure they are consistent.

« Last Edit: Apr 02, 2024, 12:02 PM by mitchard » Logged
This is an awesome thread to follow. Love the updates and hearing your challenges and mistakes along the way, that really helps to hear what works and what doesn’t.

mitchard

• Gurreck Clan Foundling
This is an awesome thread to follow. Love the updates and hearing your challenges and mistakes along the way, that really helps to hear what works and what doesn’t.

Thank you! The forum has been such a help and wealth of information for me so far, and I figure that documenting everything (including my mistakes!) might serve as help for someone else down the road.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!