Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Hawk Kit Armor (Post Imp, Covert, Female)

• 17 Replies
Hawk Kit Armor (Post Imp, Covert, Female)
« on: Nov 23, 2023, 01:12 PM »
Hello! I've finally narrowed down the color scheme I'm going for on my first kit and decided it was time to move from armor concepts to a WIP thread.

Original color scheme:

Updated based on feedback:

Action figure test with tentatively selected spray paints:

Plans going forward:
Soft Parts: See thread in "soft Parts"
Paint:
  • Rustoleum Universal Spray Paint Metallic in titanium silver
  • Rustoleum American Accents 2x Ultra Coverage Paint and Primer in the satin finish and colors Espresso, Warm Carmel, and Claret wine
  • Rustoleum Matte Clear Coat
  • Opinions on these paints (and alternative suggestions) are more than welcome! I went with it because it worked well on EVA and the local hardware store has a huge selection of it. I tested all of the colors on my action figure and then weathered them with a black acrylic wash (cheap craft store acrylic)
Amour:
  • Trying to decide between a modern chest plate or a post-imp chest plate
  • I'm leaning post imp, but would like to make the larger plates out of sintra rather than 3D print them. It seems like sintra has an advantage in terms of durability and prep work. I would still plant to 3D print more complex details (IE the whistling birds on the gauntlet). I have a couple EVA templates that I would like to try converting to sintra. I might make both a modern and a post imp chest plate set to test sizing and decide which one I like better.
  • Any thoughts, pieces of advice, tips, tricks, and heads up about known pitfalls are welcome!
Helmet:
  • I can either print one (I have an elegoo neptune 3 plus and enough PLA+) or buy a black series Bo-Katan helmet to modify
  • I'm leaning towards the black series again for durability purposes. The elgoo is also brand new and I'm still figuring out the quirks. A good helmet print is a challenge I'm going to need to build up to.
  • I'd like some opinions on whether the black series helmet is too big for me (pictures below: the armor was my first EVA build and the chest plate came out too big, but I think the shoulders were pretty well sized. The vest and belt/holsters are temporary pieces I had around the house that I used for a size mock up, not part of my kit)

« Last Edit: Dec 03, 2023, 11:28 AM by EngineeringMaylen » Logged

Two_Bears_HF

• Trantor Kies
Re: WIP Hawk Inspired Kit
« Reply #1 on: Nov 23, 2023, 11:52 PM »
Action figure test with tentatively selected spray paints:

Well, dang, now I wanna do an action figure of my own kit!

Love the plan, love how it feels "in-universe", and I think you've got an awesome start to your plan.

My own bucket is a Black Series Pre-Production Boba Fett under the custom paint job and it's a fantastic helmet all told. I'm sure the Bo-Katan will be great as well. I'm not sure if the Bo-Katan has any moulded-in battle damage the way the Fett-style helmets do, but if it does, it's nothing a little auto-body or wood filler and getting real comfortable with sandpaper can't fix.

Keep up the great work!

Canada Atlantic Stronghold OM #2930
Traffic Cone Brigade society member #49
Gunning for Privateer and Gunslinger

Kandosii Tor

• MMCC 1164
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #2 on: Nov 24, 2023, 02:46 PM »
While I was reading your description of the armor, I was hoping to read something about that particular chestplate being too large. I was able to wipe the Ruus'alor sweat when you said it was too big!

As for helmet sizing, that particular helmet should be perfectly acceptable for apps, assuming your shoulders continue to sit the way they do now. The shoulders, I will note, do fit you very well!

Because of the recent Post-Imperial CRL changes, you should be able to apply as Post-Imp with any of the chestplates seen in The Mandalorian. Season 3 has included your classic Fett style plates with or without the collar for, I believe both Covert and Mercenary styles. (Don't quote me on that. I'm still familiarizing myself with the specifics of the CRL update!)

I have been planning my own Post-Imperial build as well and am currently trying to decide which style chestplate to go with. I plan on making both sets and deciding later.

« Reply #3 on: Nov 28, 2023, 10:20 PM »
    Well, dang, now I wanna do an action figure of my own kit!
    You definitely should! It was really fun and it's been super motivating having it stare at me from the shelf. Thanks for the feedback and help! The Bo black series doesn't seem to have any molded in battle damage. It feel pretty smooth, but I'll hit it with some pre-sanding and then see what it looks like under the first coat of primer.

I have been planning my own Post-Imperial build as well and am currently trying to decide which style chestplate to go with. I plan on making both sets and deciding later.
    Thanks for the Ruus'alor feedback! I misunderstood the size/scaling instructions when I made the foam chest plate. I think I've got it a lot closer to dialed in now. I didn't scale the shoulders, so they should be able to translate pretty much straight to sintra. I'm also thinking I'll make both a post-imp and modern chestplate, so I can try them on before I paint. I feel better knowing I'm not the only one torn over that decision. I have a suspicion that the one I don't use for this kit will someday end up in a second kit.

Update:
    Got started with my weapons while I work on picking and sizing the armor.
    3D Printer and Westar 35(s):
    I got my 3D printer up and running. I used 2 different Westar models off of Thingiverse/Printables to put it through its paces and test my post-processing plans. Both of the models printed nicely, but for the purposes of getting these to MMCC standards, there were some pros/cons to each. I'm still not sure which one I like better and if I want to duplicate one of them or keep the slightly mismatched pair (assuming both meet approval standards when I'm done).
    2 Piece Westar: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5923200

This was technically a one piece stl that I split in half so that I could print it without supports.
      Cons:
      • Really difficult to sand
      • Longer print time/bigger printer needed to print it in one go
      Pros:
      • Easier assembly and less seams to fill
      • No obvious modifications needed to fit in the Star Wars universe
    12 Piece Westar: https://www.printables.com/model/249501-westar-35-mandalorian-pistol-remixfixes

Cons:
      • Lots of seams to fill and smooth
      • Had to grind off the english letters
      • I couldn't find the stl for the slide (rounded part that runs the length of the blaster). I ended up making one. It needs some minor adjustments and the I'll figure out how to post a remix.
      • Not necessarily the model's fault, but I tried using a heat gun to get the pieces to fit a little better together after sanding and underestimated how easily PLA melts. This blaster is going to have some interesting weathering on the top of the slide
      Pros:
      • Much easier to sand all the pieces prior to assembly
      • could print on a small printer if needed
    Both models were processed the same following printing (proper PPE was worn and I did all of this outside).
    • Sanded the raw prints with 80, 120, 180, and 220 grit sandpaper
    • Assembled the prints using superglue
    • Used bondo glazing and spot putty to fill all the seams
    • Sanded the seams
    • Put on a layer of RUST-OLEUM Gray Filler Primer Spray Paint
    • Sanded with 120, 180, and 220 grit sandpaper
    • Repeated the filler/sand steps many times (I think the 12 piece had 3 coats of primer and the 2 piece had 6 ish)
    • I used a dremel like rotary tool to sand some of the detailed areas. It worked alright, but I discovered that the heat generated by the friction of the sanding bits is enough to melt the pla I was removing and allow it to mold around the bit (good thing the ones I bought were cheap)
    • Applied more bondo spot putty to even out deeper grain lines as needed
    • Last round of sanding I used 180, 220, and 400

Both blasters have their shiny silver base coat on.

Next up is toothpaste, a coat of dark silver, 2 color coats to put accents on the slides and grips, and then a dark acrylic wash for weathering.

Any and all feedback on the blasters is appreciated![/list][/list][/list]

« Last Edit: Dec 03, 2023, 10:18 AM by EngineeringMaylen » Logged

Kandosii Tor

• MMCC 1164
    Re: Hawk Kit Armor (Post Imp, Covert, Female)
    « Reply #4 on: Dec 03, 2023, 12:56 PM »
    Those blasters are looking pretty slick! Great work!

« Reply #5 on: Dec 03, 2023, 08:12 PM »
    Those blasters are looking pretty slick! Great work!

Thanks! Unfortunately I ran into some paint incompatibility issues. It appears the weathered steel (my second layer of paint) is reacting badly with everything I try to put over it (red accents, clear coat, 2 different primers). The third layer doesn't stick, everything under it turns back to goo, and it won't cure after that. The Facebook group gave me a lot of advice in an attempt to root cause and save the paint job, but at this point I'm going to have to sand them back to primer or start over. I'm bummed but, it's been a learning experience.

Update:
    Paint:
    The rustoleum spray paints did not end up playing well together. After a weekend of experimenting with all the advice from the Facebook group, I switched to Montana Gold. I'm using their primer, Shock brown, Shock Light Brown, Brick, and Silver Matte. I'm hoping to continue using Rustoleum's Filler and primer under the Montana Gold, but am making some test samples before I commit to that.

Armor:

I've tentatively picked the patterns I intend to use for all of my pieces except the backplate/jetpack. I had enough EVA on hand to test the patterns and fuss with sizing this weekend. If the pictures below look good, I'm going to move onto sinta.
    • Hemlet: Black Series Bo-Katan
    • Chestplate/Belly Plate: pattern from letsmakegeekstuff on etsy
    • Shoulders: pattern from MandoDaveDesigns on etsy
    • Gauntelets: PVC pipe tutorial from the forum with 3D printed whistling birds from thingiverse
    • Hand Armor: pattern from MandoDaveDesigns on etsy
    • Groin plate: pattern I drafted based on the Nite Owls in the Mandalorian season 3
    • Knees: pattern from the Legacy Project Template (I wasn't clear on these were okay or if I need to switch to the Fett knees for post-Imp)
    • Shins: Jango Fett Template
    • Backplate: TBD
    EVA Pattern/Paint Test:
    No flak vest and all armor tenuously attached with masking tape. Placement and seams will need to be fine tuned when I move to an approved material. I also plan to dirty up the paint job with a dark acrylic wash.

(I couldn't figure out where my hand armor went... and this is the only picture I was able to get with all the armor on and mostly placed correctly)

Feedback is very welcome!

Blasters:
    They look very sad at the moment, so no updated pictures.

« Last Edit: Dec 03, 2023, 08:40 PM by EngineeringMaylen » Logged

Kandosii Tor

• MMCC 1164
    « Reply #6 on: Dec 03, 2023, 11:01 PM »
    I have never worked with EVA foam before, but sintra is cheap, lightweight, and pretty malleable with just a little heat. I don't believe it would be a tough transition for someone familiar with EVA.

That said, I think that chestplate sizing is absolutely perfect!

Shame about the blasters. Were you able to solve the riddle of why the paint didn't work?

Second Son

• Awards Special Weapons EnviroOps Special Operations Brigade Member
    « Reply #7 on: Dec 04, 2023, 11:43 AM »
    E/M - scale looks right.

Kandosii Tor is spot on that EVA skills translate to Sintra.  Check out Flo Brin's thread about making this style chest plate from Sintra, using a foam template. Very good photos of the process.

Here's her full WIP and you can see the finished piece on her kit here:

« Reply #8 on: Dec 07, 2023, 10:44 PM »
    I think that chestplate sizing is absolutely perfect!

Shame about the blasters. Were you able to solve the riddle of why the paint didn't work?

E/M - scale looks right.

Kandosii Tor is spot on that EVA skills translate to Sintra.  Check out Flo Brin's thread about making this style chest plate from Sintra, using a foam template. Very good photos of the process.

Here's her full WIP

Thank you for the feedback and the resources! The threads were very helpful to read through and I feel a lot better about sizing the rest of my kit knowing I'm on the right track with the chest plate.

Update:
    I wasn't able to really figure out what went wrong with the blasters, but I'm leaning strongly towards paint incompatibility. Good news, I was able to salvage both blasters.

2 piece blaster (bottom blaster in the above picture):
    This is the one I hit with the red first. The red never fully cured. I was able to scrape and sand it off.
    Following a large portion of the advice I received, I ended up buying Montana primer and Montana gold paints. I put the primer over the weathered steel in the areas I wanted to paint red/brown. I then layered red/brown Montana paint over that. It did adhere, but not great. When I pulled the painters tape off, the Montana paint wanted to go with it.
    I gently pushed the paint back down and gave it a couple more days to dry. It seems to have adhered better as it cured. It only chips off when you drop the blaster on a non-carpeted floor. I went ahead and weathered the end result. All it needs now is a top clear coat (staying with Montana). Depending on how durable it feels after that, I'll decide if this one is wall art or part of my kit.

12 piece print (top blaster in the picture):
    This one already had the rustoleum weathered steel on it when I sprayed the red on the 2 piece blaster and realized we had a problem.
    I gave the 12 piece several more days to cure (in case the issue was gas evaporating form the still curing steel layer), washed it windex (for surface contaminants), handled it exclusively with new disposable gloves (again for surface contaminants), sprayed a layer of rustoleum matte clear sealant, and then sprayed the red. It had the same issue as the first blaster. 
    At this point, i had just taken the tape off of the 2 piece blaster and wasn't sure anything would stick on top of the weathered steel, so I stripped this blaster back to plastic using orange wipes.
    With everything except the PLA and the bondo gone, I started over on my paint layers. I had success with the rustoleum primer and filler (followed by a light sanding) and then the montana paints (primer, matte silver, shock brown, and brick). I then weathered using an acrylic wash and will hit it with the Montana clear coat tomorrow as well. The paint feels very solidly attached to the blaster.

Helmet:
    After watching several Youtube videos on custom painting black series helmets, I took the plunge. The Bo Katan helmet is not put together the same as the Boba Fett style helmets, but the range finder ear cover pops off the same way. Once that was off, I took out every screw I could find. If it exposed electronics, I put the screws back...

I then started sanding. The only areas that I found really needed sanding to even them out were a parting line on the back third of the dome and some spots on the forehead where the edge of the white "mask" paint was raised. I didn't sand it back to raw plastic, but I hit everything with 120, 220, and 320 grit sandpaper. Next was rustoleum primer and filler. I did this based on the number of people I saw have success without any sanding and the fact that I did didn't want to make flat spots.

That got sanded with 220 and 320 after it dried.

Next up was Montana primer (2-3 dusted on layers, with 320 and 600 grit sanding in between as needed).

Then 3-4 coats of Montana Gold matte silver. I did sand this with 600 grit between coats 3 and 4. It has a somewhat gritty texture if I don't.

Tomorrow I'll put on the toothpaste and start laying down colors.

Kandosii Tor

• MMCC 1164
    « Reply #9 on: Dec 07, 2023, 11:48 PM »
    The finish on that helmet looking chef's kiss.  :cookie:

« Reply #10 on: Dec 09, 2023, 10:36 AM »
    The finish on that helmet looking chef's kiss.  :cookie:
    Thank you! Every step along the way has been nail bitingÖ Iíve been so worried about goofing up one step and having to sand it all back off.

Update: Helmet
    I pulled an all night to (mostly) finish the helmet and put the house back together ahead of the start of the holiday fun/chaos. Good news, Iím pretty happy with the helmet and the house no longer looks like a craft store puked on it. Bad news, probably my last big update until January.

After all the helmet pieces were Beskar shiny (couple coats of matte silver and lightly sanded with 600 grit), I taped off the areas I wanted to stay silver (part of the ear caps and the back vent). I used toothpaste to mark out my scratches and barre damage. I had to redo the toothpaste a couple times to get the battle damage to line up where it crossed different parts of the helmet.

For the face of the helmet: I sprayed the lighter brown first , taped it off, sprayed the red, taped/cling wrapped the whole cheek area off, and sprayed the dark brown.

Nice clean bucket!

Time to get it dirty  ;D
    Several layers of acrylic dark wash and a lot of dabbing laterÖ

Now that the helmet is back together, I need to add a little more gunk where the separate components come together (ie the corner where the ears meet the cheeks). The whole thing also needs clear coated. Those will be minor tweaks for after the holidays.

I finished this at 4AM and then immediately had to take it for a test drive (note: all the other armor is still my foam mock-up).

In other news, I changed my shoulder pattern to one closer to the live action nite owls and I decided I want thigh armor. I think my gap between the groin plate and the knees looks funny.

Two_Bears_HF

• Trantor Kies
    « Reply #11 on: Dec 09, 2023, 11:45 AM »
    This kit is coming together really nicely!

Canada Atlantic Stronghold OM #2930
    Traffic Cone Brigade society member #49
    Gunning for Privateer and Gunslinger

Kandosii Tor

• MMCC 1164
    « Reply #12 on: Dec 09, 2023, 01:22 PM »
    I'm surprised and pleased at how well this is matching up to your concept art! Great work!!

« Reply #13 on: Jan 15, 2024, 08:41 PM »
    I'm surprised and pleased at how well this is matching up to your concept art! Great work!!
    This kit is coming together really nicely!
    Thank you both for the kind words and feedback!

Update on the armor front:
    I traded shin armor for tall boots and added tassets to the hips. I've also pretty much finalized my soft parts (tried a jump suit and ended up switching back to scrubs, sewed a vest, and collected waist items).
    My pvc board arrived and I've spent the last week getting all the pieces cut out and glued together.

I was able to put it all on for the first time today (using an unreasonable amount of tape). Everything is a little crooked and not quite lying flat, but I was hoping to get a sizing check before I start all the detail work (filling gaps, sanding excess epoxy, and painting). Forgive the bad photoshop, I realized too late that the white pvc doesn't show well against the white wall and the stark contrast between the white armor/black suit makes it hard to see the details. I tried to make it easier to see and ended up looking very sunburned  :laugh:

I wasn't able to get my jetpack to stay on using tape, but it is almost the same size as the eva jetpack backpack I made for my first costume. I used the backpack as a place holder for sizing purposes and also mounted the chest plate to the straps (the straps were already set up for that from my last costume).  The backpack shifted during my photo taking, so the chestplate is a little high and the jetpack is a little low.
    I'm still planning on having epaulets on the shoulders that are roughly that same width as the straps, but don't extend all the way to the chest plate. The 3D printed helmet is also not part of my kit. The visor on my actual helmet kept fogging up while I was fighting with the camera, so I swapped to the wip spare.
    h

Gauntlet details since the white on white is hard to see: Not sure if I'll keep the vibroblade on the gauntlet (definitely want to make it removable if I do keep it).

As always, I appreciate the feedback keeping on the right track. You've been a ton of the help so far!

« Reply #14 on: Feb 01, 2024, 10:28 AM »
    I planned to put everything back on and get some side view shots before painting, but there was a break in the weather and I decided to just go for it. If anything needs cut down, I can repaint that piece.

The blasters and helmet were painted and weathered with diluted brown and black acrylic paint previously. I didnít realize how much that changed the colors for the better until I had them next to the freshly painted pieces.

Voice Amp Cover:
    The actual amp arrived from Amazon. I tweaked the scaling on the cover to fit it better. The product dimensions were a little off. I posted the final version of the cover on thingiverse at the request of the FB group who helped workshop the design (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:6455805). My first couple versions kept skewing into Star Trek aesthetics.

It still needs an acrylic wash to make it good and grimy. The Aurebesh on the side is supposed to say ďdanger shock.Ē

Had to try it all on.

Velcro on the flight suit is still attached with safety pins, so I can adjust it. The hips are the same size, but on crooked. One of them needs the Velcro shifted. I think I got the knees on better. Gauntlets still need some padding to keep them where I want them in my arms. The jetpack harness needs work and causes some issues with the chest plate attachment at the bottom of the armor.

I still need to finalize the jetpack harness. The harness is over the flak vest and held together with pins for these pictures.

Current harness design:  itís black straps on a black vest, so I couldnít get a good picture. I tried to mimic how a hiking backpack is strapped and used some spare nylon straps to mock it up.
    I made a belt (for lack of a better word, it really sits at the narrowest part of my chest, about an inch above the bottom of my flak vest). Then I attached 2 straps to the jetpack (one on each of the ďwingsĒ) using the slots designed into the model. Pictures of the jetpack attachment points below:

From the attachment points on the jetpack, one end of the strap runs down and attaches to the belt in the middle of my back.  The other ends of the straps go up over my shoulders and down my front to the belt.

In these pictures, the jetpack is not well enough support, so the harness is pulling the vest/chest weird and the jetpack is sagging/crooked. I am 95% sure the harness interfered with the Velcro that holds the lower middle part of the chest to the vest and cause the gapping you can see in the side view facing left. Thatís velcro is roughly in the same spot that the jetpackís over the shoulder straps met the belt.

Iíve been going to through the forum looking at options. I am very open to suggestions as to how other people who donít have flat chests run the straps or alternate mounting methods. I was hoping to get away without using a backplate (assuming the jetpack size meets all the requirements), but will add one if that is the better way to go.

« Reply #15 on: Feb 02, 2024, 02:15 PM »
    Wow! The color scheme looks even better on the true scale armor!

Maybe attaching the jetpack to a pair of tactical suspenders might work?

« Reply #16 on: Feb 16, 2024, 12:12 PM »
    Wow! The color scheme looks even better on the true scale armor!

Maybe attaching the jetpack to a pair of tactical suspenders might work?

Thank you! I bought a couple pairs of the tactical suspenders off Amazon. They ended up not working (too bulky and my belt/scrubs arenít sturdy enough to support the weight without shifting), but the design of them gave me a couple different things to try. I ended up using Velcro on the back of my vest to keep the jetpack straight and prevent it from sliding down. I also rigged up a harness out of nylon straps I had on hand. Itís somewhere between the tactical suspenders and the self pulling vest people use for weight training (belt around my chest, straps that run from the jetpack down to the center of my back, and straps that run over my shoulders down to the chest strap).

I got my Velcro all sewed on, weathered all of it (diluted acrylic wash for the armor and dry brushed actylic for the soft stuff), and took my pre-app photos.

I sent my pre-app photos to the clan. Iím itching to get ahold of the first fix list and crafting. If anyone sees anything that jumps out, let me know!

Full kit:

Blasters: Iím leaning towards only carrying the top one for now. My belt is comfortably full with only 1 blaster.

Also if anyone is going to be at Great Lakes Comic Con next weekend, Iím going to take the kit for a test run and would love to say hi!!!

Refused215

• Kids not Cons
    « Reply #17 on: Feb 19, 2024, 06:56 AM »
    That voice amp cover isssss awesome. Love it.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
    Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!