Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Looking for feedback on design

• 9 Replies
Looking for feedback on design
« on: Apr 08, 2015, 01:40 PM »
Hi everyone. 

I'm a Rebel Legion member currently working on a 501st costume for myself.  I've been trying to talk my husband into joining me.  Right now he just handles at troops occasionally, but I'd really like him to be able to participate.  The only costume he's interested in doing is an original Mando.  Since I'm the costumer/stitcher in our house, I'll be doing most of his build for him.

He really wants to do a design based on a Knight Templar.  I've done several sketches for him, and so far this is the one he likes best.  I read through the submission guidelines, but I'd really love to hear feedback on what about this would and would not be approveable. 

Ref Al'drann

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Award for 25 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Re: Looking for feedback on design
« Reply #1 on: Apr 08, 2015, 01:52 PM »
I don't see an issue with it. I like that you used inspiration from another source, but made a clear effort to integrate it into the existing Mandalorian design. My only recommendation would be to remove or change the holes on the cheeks. They make the helmet look too knight-y, in my opinion. That's not an approvability issue, that's just a design suggestion.

Looking forward to seeing the build! Great work so far.

Wolfin Sylvermane

• We are only Immortal for a limited time.
« Reply #2 on: Apr 08, 2015, 01:58 PM »
I'll drop my 2 cents and say it looks great.  I really like the way you have two toned the red cross. 

mobcake

• "We Mando boys like to show we've been in action"
« Reply #3 on: Apr 08, 2015, 02:23 PM »
As an Assassins Creed fan, I'm obligated to let you know that this design is a terrible idea. Just kidding! It looks really well done and I agree with Wolfin on the two-toned cross. I also like the look of the holes on the cheek but I have to side with Ref on them. They look awesome but I think they would take away from the Mandalorian aspect of the build. The concept looks amazing, vod. Can't wait to see it done!

Maljohn Han'Tor

• "I have a bad feeling about this."
  • Awards Family events Award for 10 official invasions. Special Weapons Force Hunter Brigade Member
« Reply #4 on: Apr 08, 2015, 03:05 PM »
As someone who's also a Medieval reenactor, I think this concept is awesome!   

While I LOVE the holes in the helmet, I have to agree with general consensus, I think it takes it a step too far into the Great Helm arena.  You might think of turning the holes into slots, so you can keep the aesthetic, but change it enough to not immediately read "knight's helmet".  I'd also suggest putting a black fabric on the inside of the helmet if you DO add holes or slots, that way you won't be able to see the face underneath, & can keep that "sealed environment suit" feel that Mandos are supposed to have.

Either way, I look forward to watching this build.

Sith killed my Mudder! Sith killed my Fadder! Sith killed my people!  They took my fadder’s sward!

Mandalorian Riders #0015, Nerf-herders #09, B.E.A.R.D.S.  #062, B.O.M.B. #35, Kilted Mandalorian brigade #22, B.O.O.M. #05,  VRCA  #60, XMG  #10, Iron Fang #4, KOVA #13, M.A.R.S. #40, M5 #64, L.O.B. #11

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #5 on: Apr 08, 2015, 03:11 PM »
Good concept Vod, as far as "general consensus" goes I'll say this... We do have a OM with a very knight style addition to his helmet that is badShebs and goes a tad further design wise than this concept. Either way I like it but in the end it's between the maker and the app team ;D

It is not who you are but the service you do for others that defines you.
QMU#084

Maljohn Han'Tor

• "I have a bad feeling about this."
  • Awards Family events Award for 10 official invasions. Special Weapons Force Hunter Brigade Member
« Reply #6 on: Apr 08, 2015, 03:20 PM »
Good concept Vod, as far as "general consensus" goes I'll say this... We do have a OM with a very knight style addition to his helmet that is badShebs and goes a tad further design wise than this concept. Either way I like it but in the end it's between the maker and the app team ;D

Bowfanny, I assume you're talking about OriKad?   ...& you make a good point.    For reference, here's what OriKad's kit looks like in both Weapons Master & Beast Master modes:

Sith killed my Mudder! Sith killed my Fadder! Sith killed my people!  They took my fadder’s sward!

Mandalorian Riders #0015, Nerf-herders #09, B.E.A.R.D.S.  #062, B.O.M.B. #35, Kilted Mandalorian brigade #22, B.O.O.M. #05,  VRCA  #60, XMG  #10, Iron Fang #4, KOVA #13, M.A.R.S. #40, M5 #64, L.O.B. #11

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #7 on: Apr 08, 2015, 03:45 PM »
That is in fact the one I spoke of Vod! :D

It is not who you are but the service you do for others that defines you.
QMU#084

bassplaya

• Nothing worth doing is easy
« Reply #8 on: Apr 09, 2015, 12:06 PM »
Wow! I really like the way you designed this; simple and balanced. I actually really like the cheeks. if you were to make them separate from the helmet, dish them out and add them later I think you could get away with calling it a breathing apparatus that is stylized to look medieval. I'd say if you can keep the concept go for it, so far one if my favorite designs

« Reply #9 on: Apr 09, 2015, 03:45 PM »
Thanks for all the feedback, everyone.  It's awesome to know we can do this as-is. 

Maljohn, we were definitely thinking we'd put a mesh of some sort behind the holes to prevent skin showing.  Your idea of doing slots in place is holes is great.  I really love that idea. 

Well I ordered the fabric for all the soft parts just now, so I'll probably start a WIP thread for this a couple weeks after we get back from Celebration. 

Thanks everyone!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!