Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Roki's Body Armor (new stuff, pg 8 !)

• 136 Replies

Rokeim Gekla

• Hasn't defiled in a while
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Shock Infantry Brigade Member Order of the Ori'Ramikad Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
Roki's Body Armor (new stuff, pg 8 !)
« on: Apr 17, 2010, 02:31 PM »
Since it seems my original thread pulled  Houdini,  i shall start anew !   Look for revampedness in the coming days (or even later today, if i get ambitious)

But for now.. the reason i was lookin for my thread.   

I've got a small conundrum.   I've got cabling going from both gaunts,  i know what i'm going to plug said cabling into,  but i'm not sure how to mount/disguise it so its workable (and looks good too)

I'd like to get some sort of small canister, or flat pack to put these in,  but i'm not sure what exactly i could use. 

Yes,  those are old Monster cables (quit cringing, they got toasted in a power surge)

Going to be using 2 sets of 3 cables,  3 going to left gaunt, 3 to right. 

I was considering mounting them in my jetpack, but thats a last resort.  Having gaunt firearms powered by a JP that may, or may not be worn (circumstances pending, etc etc) probably wont be a good idea. 

« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 03:10 PM by Rokeim Gekla » Logged

Rokeim Gekla

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Shock Infantry Brigade Member Order of the Ori'Ramikad Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
Re: Roki's Body Armor redux
« Reply #1 on: Apr 18, 2010, 08:10 AM »
And here it all is.    The status hasn't changed much,  joblessness, college, new job, etc etc got in the way.. but now.  Its very close.  As, its at the seamstress getting velcro sewn on so it can all be attached :)   Should have it back by the end of the month.

Just have a few things to finish gluing, a smidge of detail painting, velcro attaching and it'll be troopable :) 

Aniron

« Reply #2 on: Apr 18, 2010, 08:46 AM »
WOW  :o
this looks amazing! love the paintjob and your helmet. outstanding work! :)

« Reply #3 on: Apr 18, 2010, 09:24 AM »
Dude, that is outstanding!

Any close-up shots from that custom gaunt? :D

Jaing Vau

• "Verd ori'shya beskar'gam"
« Reply #4 on: Apr 18, 2010, 12:25 PM »
I always did love your kit. I think the best 2 parts are the helmet and the gaunts, awesome cannons  ;D

Rokeim Gekla

« Reply #5 on: Apr 18, 2010, 02:43 PM »
WOW  :o
this looks amazing! love the paintjob and your helmet. outstanding work! :)

Dude, that is outstanding!

Any close-up shots from that custom gaunt? :D
Pix sent via pm :) 
I always did love your kit. I think the best 2 parts are the helmet and the gaunts, awesome cannons  ;D

Thx :)  I love the gun-gaunt too.    The big guns are off of a pair of GI Joe Sigma 6 Duke figures,  saw them guns and was like...  :o  perfect !  Didnt even have to paint them lol

Aniron

« Reply #6 on: Apr 18, 2010, 02:56 PM »
can you post the detail shots,please? :)

Rokeim Gekla

« Reply #7 on: Apr 18, 2010, 03:08 PM »
ask and ye shalt recieve

these bottom ones arent 100% accurate anymore, i've added a few little things (yesterday in fact)  no pics of new mods yet Sad

These were taken last fall.  there's been a little more work done to them the last few days, no new pics yet,  but they're not too much different.   Took care of some cabling mostly, still not sure how i'm going to terminate the cables, meh lol.   

Admins -  i can easily split this off into a gaunt thread if need be :)

Kel Toi

• The Kilted Mando!
« Reply #8 on: Apr 18, 2010, 03:46 PM »
Loving the look of your kit  ;D ;D ;D

Jaing Vau

« Reply #9 on: Apr 18, 2010, 04:05 PM »
That is an amazing gaunt. What did you use for the blasters?

Aniron

« Reply #10 on: Apr 18, 2010, 04:15 PM »
The big guns are off of a pair of GI Joe Sigma 6 Duke figures,  saw them guns and was like...  :o  perfect !  Didnt even have to paint them lol

Jaing Vau

« Reply #11 on: Apr 18, 2010, 05:26 PM »
 ;D dumb question i guess wasn't it.   :D

Rokeim Gekla

« Reply #12 on: Apr 18, 2010, 07:00 PM »
Fruits of my day...

Cabling issue, mostly resolved.  Got them terminated in a nice little canister-thingy.   
JP and Harness now attach to eachother
Gun now has shoulder strap.

The canister-thingy isnt finished.  Heck, its barely together.. period.   Not painted nor glued,  but its a mockup, and here it is :)
Right side

Left side

Whole Darn Ting

« Reply #13 on: Apr 18, 2010, 07:26 PM »
 :o   :o   :o

SO AWESOME!!!

Rokeim Gekla

« Reply #14 on: Apr 19, 2010, 08:52 AM »
Probably wont get much done on it today, got class..and a composition paper due tomorrow morning (yeck)   Might drill the screw holes that'll secure the canister to my butt-plate.  Possibly prime it all for painting (still haven't quite figured out a color scheme)

pinocchio

• The Biscalor
  • Awards Celebration Chicago Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #15 on: Apr 19, 2010, 07:44 PM »
i like this

COMPLAINING DOES NOT GIVE YOU POWER, BUT CREATING WILL.

Rokeim Gekla

« Reply #16 on: Apr 19, 2010, 10:08 PM »
Well thats one vote from the Approval team... ya'll got an "approval by acclaim" clause in the rules ? ;)     If all goes according to plan, i'll be tossing you guys my admission thinger within a couple weeks

Mar'eyce

• Ma-ray-shay
« Reply #17 on: Apr 20, 2010, 07:32 AM »
It looks like you really put in a lot of work on this and didn't cut any corners. The colour scheme is nice, and the weathering looks very realistic and natural. Details make the costume, and you have done an excellent job.  Looking forward to seeing your app. :)

Saberan Vhette

• No Retreat! No Surrender!
« Reply #18 on: Apr 23, 2010, 03:47 PM »
Roki, Ner Vod,
         One awesome set of Beskar'gam you got there! Can't wait to see the completed product!

Hondo Karr

• Awards Team Player - 1 of 2 Official Members who are best Matching Pair Award for 25 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #19 on: Apr 23, 2010, 05:08 PM »
Well, he's only got what... 3+ years of effort into it now? Loking great Roke! Can't wait to see you finally suited up.

Rokeim Gekla

« Reply #20 on: Apr 23, 2010, 09:26 PM »
3 ?  Not quite.  It'll be 3 come late winter :-p.

Still waiting on the seamstress.  Today was the absolute earliest she said she'd be-able to get it done, and she hasn't called,  so I'm hoping she'll get to it next week.   I'd LOVE to suit up for Free Comic Day...

And for those who haven't learned the #1 rule of this kind of costuming.   Good product is dependent on 3 things.   Fast,  Cheep. High Quality.   pick 2 :)    This sure as heck hasn't been a fast build ;)

Rokeim Gekla

« Reply #21 on: Apr 27, 2010, 02:28 PM »
Since I had no afternoon class today.. i figured i may as well pound somethin out :)  This be the results so far, any further progress today will just be a finishing of what's already been done so far and wont have pics taken 'till much later :-p

First up, is the nearly finalized solution to my wiring problem.  What you're seeing is a piece of 3.5"x 7" PVC, painted and capped off. There are a pair triple RCA input jacks (one on each end) to accept the wiring (see previous pictures). The wire pack is attached to my kidney plate via 2 screws (for removability and such), and the kidney plate will be attached to my girth belt by 2 hooks that i've got glued to the back of the plate.   There are also 3 cables/hoses going from the wire pack (not sure if i should paint those or not.. need input here people !!!).  Which takes us to the next pic...

The cables from the wire pack will be going into these 3 points in the JP, the 2 outside points will be accepting the wires inside the cables individually, while the center point will take the whole thing.   All 3 will be permanently attached on the JP side, and be removable from the wire pack.

The purpose of the removable hosing is for if i wish to troop without the JP,  the overall look of the armor wont be totally screwed up by a trio of flopping cables. 

edit :  i was able to get the cables blackened up, glued to their mount points, and the mount points are now attached to the JP (glue is drying as i type this).  Also got the final pieces of the left gauntlet mostly installed (darts are where they should be, flame thrower mounts installed and their glue is drying).   Also added a couple little greeblies to the JP ;)

« Last Edit: Apr 27, 2010, 08:20 PM by Rokeim Gekla » Logged

Rokeim Gekla

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2010, 06:19 PM »
Got the flightsuit back today !  Got a couple plates mounted,  i can already see the need for some snaps or some such to hold down corners, but for now, i'll probably just introduce a little Bendy-ness to them and at least make it appear to fit right :-p.   Look for updates over the next few days :)

Hondo Karr

• Awards Team Player - 1 of 2 Official Members who are best Matching Pair Award for 25 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2010, 06:20 PM »
Woot woot woot woot woot!

« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 06:25 PM by A'den Skirata » Logged
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2010, 06:35 PM »
Uh-oh A'den, bandwidth exceeded!

This member has been permanently removed from the club by Dar'manda for violation of the Mandalorian Mercs Codex.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!