Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Balistic vests??

• 10 Replies

Omega

• Thread Killer
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Balistic vests??
« on: Apr 20, 2010, 08:49 PM »
Are anti ballistic style vests kosher to use as vests? I want to know before I put the money into one.
Thanks guys

Killing threads since 2013

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
Re: Balistic vests??
« Reply #1 on: Apr 20, 2010, 10:10 PM »
If you mean actual "bullet-proof" vests, the answer is no, just to avoid possible issues with police and whatnot. It's been discussed and beaten to death more than once.

If you mean like a plain molle style tactical vest without any of the kevlar or armor plate inserts, then yes, you can use one. In fact, our personnel officer A'den Skirata uses one on his own kit, and he, along with the approval team, are the ones that pretty much say what flies and what doesn't. I think there's a link floating around for cheap ones running around $20.

QMU 72| M.A.B.E.L. 77| Cabur Akaata 144

Omega

• Thread Killer
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #2 on: Apr 20, 2010, 10:34 PM »
thats what I meant. It was just an Idea that was floatin in the back of my head. Thanks bud!!

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
« Reply #3 on: Apr 20, 2010, 10:45 PM »
No problem ;D, glad to be of service. There's an endless variety of molle and other tactical-type vests than can be used. I suggest checking out airsoft and paintball suppliers. if you don't already have a source, they're usually the best. Sometimes you can luck out on ebay as well and find one on the cheap.

Omega

• Thread Killer
« Reply #4 on: Apr 20, 2010, 10:46 PM »
Thanks Vod!!

GreatSkyRiver Falco

• Haamyc ner nu'amyc
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #5 on: Apr 20, 2010, 10:59 PM »
my vest is a ballistic vest without plates, adjustable at shoulders and sides.

OriKebiin'traYustapir
Victory, not vengence.
reality is a hologram created by our minds.
M.A.J.I.C # 008

Mafio

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2010, 09:21 AM »
If you mean actual "bullet-proof" vests, the answer is no, just to avoid possible issues with police and whatnot. It's been discussed and beaten to death more than once.

Does this also count for  overpainted Flakvests  which are actually not designed for resisting any bullet  but  randomly covers some Calbers?  ???

I have an old Flakvest  i've painted white.   The Aramid-inlays are still in place   because  the whole  sit  would be sheb
http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/926/weste.jpg

or better said:

Its Actually the same Vest  Dhukev Zandar is using  http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v162/HAPAJEDI/HPIM1316.jpg

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2010, 02:17 PM »
You shouldn't have a problem, but you might want to check into the specific coverage of that vest, and check your local laws in regards to any kind of 'body armor' type vests. The main concern about something like this is someone putting together a kit over a vest that's designed specifically to stop bullets.

We already have had, in the past, people call the cops on members of the mercs, both in the states and in the UK, saying that there were men walking around in body armor with weapons. Once the cops stopped the mercs in question and they explained, there was no problem, but more issues could have arisen if, when asked what the armor was made of, someone responded, "oh, it's metal plates on top of a kevlar vest."

Mafio

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2010, 03:36 PM »
In germany  is  a special law  on  "could be"-Weapons.   So  you  only allowed  to carry  something which resambles a Boom-stick  when  its  for tradition/carneval, Movie/film/theater or on Private property. But  anyway    you wear your 'gam  only on Carneval or on private-property.

And jeah: Never underestimate the Stupid of Men.
In my City  some Tourist form an other Part of the Land  went into a bar  and  get  a glass ale of  the local brewery.  On the Front-size of the Glass - the Label -  where a Foto of  the Founder of the brewery from 1890.   Well, the "Tourist"  thought it was Hitler   and  that took up 5-0 and the press.  :rolleyes:

But back to the Bulletproof topic:  The Problem is not the Vest   the problem would  be teh "gun"  and the Vest.
 I dont know any law  which restirct  the citizens   to  wear Armor. 
And  if  it would so   it would be a totalitary State  where Citizens get shot  regulary.
It's obligatory  for  Bouncer  and Doorman  in Front of Clubs  to wear   Stab-Proov-Vests  btw.

The good thing  of Star Wars  is   that  the  "BOBA"-Helmet  is  branded  in  90% of the peoples brain

Well,  at least  i've had once the thougt  of  making an Mandalorian Armor  with a thick Kevlar-overall, and an MOLLE vest  whcih  carrys  teh  Jango-sized Ballistic Plates  on the outside.   - But the Plates  alone would  be go  up to the 10000$+ Price   ;D
And I'm not so paranoid yet  ;)

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2010, 06:24 PM »
Heh, I've had friends stationed in various parts in and around Germany, and most don't realize that the 'Hitler Mustache' was just a normal style of facial hair that people wore for long before Hitler.

Well,  at least  i've had once the thougt  of  making an Mandalorian Armor  with a thick Kevlar-overall, and an MOLLE vest  whcih  carrys  teh  Jango-sized Ballistic Plates  on the outside.   - But the Plates  alone would  be go  up to the 10000$+ Price   ;D
And I'm not so paranoid yet  ;)

Heheh, that would take some paranoia to put together. It'd be funny if someone serving in the military could convince their commander to let them put together a mando-like setup to go with their body armor :P.

Mafio

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2010, 03:57 AM »
Oh, i've even thought about that.
I guess that  would fall under the regulation of  private gear which depends on the mood of the CO.

I guess the first restriction would be  that everything of the Mando-set  is  in the same color/camounflage  and  that  Rank and Flag are clearly visible.    (but i guess that could be painted on the plates.)

The Helmet have to be a bit bigger  bit tighter inside.   A normal PASGT or MICH-like Helmet are  just an inner and outer shell of plastik with some kevlar-layers inside.   ;D 

But i dont think you could convinve the CO to pay you a better price  or  let you handle like an freelancing contract-mercenary   ;D
I guess on a PMC that could work.   But the Codex wont allow any illegal activities  :-X

but Back to topic...

I can think of this Vest   as  a base  for a Heavy Mando.  (in a far future)

The Arms  just stop on the right point where the Flightsuit has its "edge".   And the Plates could be fixed with Hooks or Straps  instead of bolts and buttons.  ;D

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!