Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Vest breathing...

• 12 Replies

manakari

• Awards Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions.
Vest breathing...
« on: Apr 22, 2010, 05:26 PM »
Okay, I have made my vest using the new sew tutorial. It has turned out wonderful. My only concern is I used marine grade vinyl and this sucker has some weight to it. How do you guys and gals promote air circulation under your vest?

Hondo Karr

• Awards Team Player - 1 of 2 Official Members who are best Matching Pair Award for 25 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: Vest breathing...
« Reply #1 on: Apr 22, 2010, 08:19 PM »
honestly, you suck it up. not much else to say. there are some very minor things you can do to make this stuff comfortable such as vents and fans in the helmet, although i wouldn't call them lifesavers by any means. there's really not much. there are some materials that are more breathable than others but ultimatly it doesn't make much difference. stay hydrated, stay indoors or get in shade as much as possible and take the bucket off for a few minutes when you cann. that's about it.

manakari

• Awards Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #2 on: Apr 22, 2010, 08:48 PM »
Awesomeness, I have offically made a sweat suit lol

pinocchio

• The Biscalor
  • Awards Celebration Chicago Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #3 on: Apr 22, 2010, 09:30 PM »
welcome to the club, first 30 minutes at a con you think you're gonna pass out from heat exhaustion, then you adapt and it becomes second nature.

COMPLAINING DOES NOT GIVE YOU POWER, BUT CREATING WILL.

manakari

« Reply #4 on: Apr 22, 2010, 10:24 PM »
I'm use to the heat. I use a SAW while playing airsoft, so I know all about that. It will be worth it.

Mar'eyce

• Ma-ray-shay
« Reply #5 on: Apr 23, 2010, 08:00 AM »
It's just something you get used to. My first vest was vinyl, but I didn't like how it didn't breathe. I switched to heavy cotton, which is a lot more comfortable.

It's a fact of life that costuming can at times be hot and uncomfortable, but your choice of materials can help some.

Vhey Uram Falco

• Always smell the milk before you drink it.
« Reply #6 on: Apr 23, 2010, 08:39 AM »
Keep in mind, it could always be worse. At least you're not in full military combat armor, which weighs around 40 pounds, and kevlar doesn't breath. Also, you're not on fire, which makes everything worse. Also, try some underarmor or something similar, it really helps.

Time to make armor

Dar'manda

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #7 on: Apr 23, 2010, 11:02 AM »
And the great part is that because you sweat in it so much, if you equalize your water intake you'll never have to go pee while wearing your armor. :D LOL

Praetor Ordo

• Ibic cuyi haar yusta
« Reply #8 on: Apr 25, 2010, 11:41 AM »
Keep in mind, it could always be worse. At least you're not in full military combat armor, which weighs around 40 pounds, and kevlar doesn't breath. Also, you're not on fire, which makes everything worse. Also, try some underarmor or something similar, it really helps.
Amen, brother!  120 degrees in full battle rattle gives you a new appreciation for the word HOT!

Advice, though... STAY HYDRATED!  Nothing would be worse than passing out and having some Trekkie EMT cut your armor off of you to poke you with an IV needle.

If nothing else, add a camelbak into your kit and replace the hose to your gauntlet with the drinking tube.  If you need it, unplug, tape a sip, and plug it back in.

« Reply #9 on: Apr 25, 2010, 05:27 PM »
And don't for get, this is science fantasy.  If anyone asks about the mysterious tube going into you bucket, just politely inform them that it's impolite to ask about the artificial cranial fluid you have to have pumped in there.

Dar'manda

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 267th Rapid Assault Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #10 on: Apr 26, 2010, 03:51 PM »
I've worn cotton, marine vinyl, and currently real leather.  They're all hot.  When you're layering that on top of a flightsuit with armor and sealing up the rest of your body, there's no getting around the sweat.   ;)

Mijo

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2010, 09:29 AM »

Advice, though... STAY HYDRATED!  Nothing would be worse than passing out and having some Trekkie EMT cut your armor off of you to poke you with an IV needle.

If nothing else, add a camelbak into your kit and replace the hose to your gauntlet with the drinking tube.  If you need it, unplug, tape a sip, and plug it back in.

that way, if anyone asks, you can reply with: Yes, indeed I -am- drinking jet/flamethrower fuel.

E'nam Atreuh

• "Ke nu'jurkadir sha Mando'ade..."
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2010, 11:24 PM »
Just be glad your not in Florida

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!