Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Grendel's WIP 2024

• 14 Replies
Grendel's WIP 2024
« on: Mar 24, 2024, 10:38 PM »
So that happened...
Since my last attempt I've been divorced, sold my house, traveled to south east Asia for a year (India, Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia, Malaysia, Philippines), came back to the States, helped a friend rehab from surgery, and got myself settle back in Vegas, and done some short trips to So Cal and Mexico.

I finally have most of my crafting gear out of storage an have a quiet place I can craft in my down time.

So the plan is similar to before.
I am still inspired by the Gar Saxon armor from the Darth Maul Son of Dathomir comic

I love the black and grey flight suit with the red piping accent on the sleeves, black vest with red piping , and how the shoulder bells have a nice Mythosaur like shape on em in red. I will likely duplicate as much as is reasonable.

The gauntlets have a great shape to them, though I have my doubts they will pass.

I plan on using  Dark Grey,/Silver-ish, Red, Black, Yellow as my color scheme.
I will be using  Jango armor for most of the kit, though likely using legacy back plates for articulation. Depends on which pack I go with.
I have a color design for the armor that is inspired by the Darth Maul armor and Saxons from the comic that should be original enough.

The plan is to tackle this in phases.

Phase 1 - Soft parts
            1.5 - Dye/ initial weathering
Phase 2 - Shape sintra into Armor
            2,5 Work out placement on vest and harness, batle damage placement (if any)
Phase 3 - Helmet acquisition/build
Phase 4 - Electronics
Phase 5 - Weapons acquisition/build
Phase 6 - Paint/weathering
Phase 7 - Pre app dialing in of everything (Fitting, paint, weathering)
Phase 8 - App begins

Re: Grendel's WIP 2024
« Reply #1 on: Mar 24, 2024, 10:51 PM »
First thing is first...

Phase 1

1- Make a mannequin of myself by doing the trash bag, tshirt, duct tape thing and making a stand for it
2 - Pattern out the upper for my flight suit, Long sleeves and the short sleeves design with piping. Neck piece attatchments
3 - Make the flight suit top
4 - Start patterning out my Vest and make a prototype.
Do I make one out of duck clothe, padded? Possible alternative for the leather one?
5 - Make the leather version of my vest with piping and hidden closures
6 - Make a pattern out of a comfortable pair of old pants
7 - Make flight suit pants
8 - Test for mobility and comfort and modify anything that needs it
9 - Make changes or new patterns

« Reply #2 on: Mar 24, 2024, 10:56 PM »
I plan to reconnect with the Sarlac Clan here in Vegas and go to some armor parties in the near future.

In the immediate future I am going to go through my costume material, look for potential stuff for this build,. Make list of what needs purchasing  and get started on redoing the mannequin I  made four years ago so I have something to work on as I make patterns.

« Reply #3 on: Apr 02, 2024, 08:27 PM »
So I took a old button down shirt that I believe will make a good pattern for my Flak Vest.
Removed the sleeves.

Started figuring out where the red piping will go.
Marked and pinned the shirt to create shape of the Chest Plates.

Figuring out if I want the piping to be A or B

I'm likely doing B, based on the ab and collar plate sizes

« Last Edit: Apr 04, 2024, 04:21 PM by Grendel » Logged
« Reply #4 on: Apr 04, 2024, 04:45 PM »
Pulled out the original plates I cut years ago and started drawing them on the shirt to compare, get placement, etc.

Ab plate, sorry for the fuzzy pic

Collar Plate

Laying it flat to get the general placement and to draw it on the shirt

Chest plate is a bit short and not the correct size I think?!

It is a bit short!  Sorry fuzzy again,

Gaps are HUGE!

« Reply #5 on: Apr 04, 2024, 04:47 PM »

Marking out the general shape to start working on the chest plate size

Comparing the difference, yet keeping  the diamond the same size

« Reply #6 on: Apr 07, 2024, 12:12 AM »
Made it out to N Las Vegas Clan Sarlacc's Apmor Party today and got wrapped in duct tape to make my new mannequin.

Thank you Carlos and A-Rex for the help!

**EDITE**
I did not think to shoot photos of me getting wrapped up on duct tape.
There are plenty of cute cosplayers on youtube you can watch that will show that part.

However! I have done this a few time's over the years and have some thoughts to share.

1- Wear a shirt that is form fitting but not tight. A button down shirt, athletic fit or a little bit loose tshirt. Nothing baggy!
The extra material doesn't always stay were you taped it once you are removed from your cocoon. Also wrap your long hair/beard up into a bun.

2- Be sure the person being wrapped has their arms out to the side a bit and in a comfortable position. I either hook my thumbs in my bet loops or put my hands on my hips (Peter Pan pose). If you can position the person on a stool with somewhere they can place their hands easily to rest the arms, this will also be good.

Have water nearby and a straw, Once you're wrapped up you won't be able to bend or grab your water. Assistance is helpful! You may also want to remind them to use good posture through out the process, especially at the beginning!

3- Wrap the person several different directions in layers. All horizontal, then all vertical, then diagonally one way and then another layer the opposite diagonal way.
The first layer try to only over lap the tape by a quarter of an inch, and when you wrap the chest/back area the person being wrapped should take a full breath each time you put a new strip on. so they will be able to breath as the process continues and gets tighter. 

4- Go Slow and be take your time placing the strips. Make sure they lay as flat as possible and don't bunch or ripple . This is were it will deform easiest. the smoother you can make it the better.

5- Use long strips as much as possible. Your dummy will hold it's shape better than using a bunch of smaller strips. I don't know why, but it works better. Especially do long, from the hip, over the shoulders, down the other side to the hip ones. Doing them diagonally across the chest/back, wrapping down along the ribs, around to the back as long as possible are really great!

6- Be careful when wrapping around the armpit for the first time to not deform the sleeves to much, as wrapping will pull on the material. Also the tape is harder to maneuver and place in the tight space. It can also be harder to build  up layers here.

I've literally cut and un taped my armpits (on the dummy) and redid them after the build to make more room for sleeve patterns on two of these. It's ok if you only get two layers underneath. you can add later, so long and the shoulders and arm parts are thick and hold their shape.

7- Wrap plastic wrap horizontally around the neck and tuck it inside the dummy. Have the person flex their neck muscles as you wrap their throat area in tape. this will give a little extra room and help them not feel uncomfortable. You will only need one width of tape high for your dummy.  Then you can add vertical layers all the way around and another horizontal.

8- Look in the mirror and have someone mark your centerlines (front and back), hash marks along the back one, belt line, naval, where your ribs and collar bone are, bust or chest shape. All useful for when you are stuffing it later and for leveling. do all of this while stand straight and making sure the wrap has not shifted by pulling down on it snug.

9- Have someone use safety scissors, cut you out from the back by following the vertical line they drew. They will be lifting the bottom edge away from you and putting their hand under to separate you and the material. They will be cutting the shirt, along with the tape to get you out. If you do not have safety scissors, they can put their finger on the edge/tip so as not to poke you when they are progressing up your back.

Back to the WIP**

Here's is my refitting it once I got home.

Sorry about it being out of focus!
When you travel with one, it will deform. I have found it helps to put it back on, have someone pull it snug in the back and hit it with a blow dryer . Just enough to warm it up. DO NOT get hot!
You don't want the tape to stretch.
Once it cools down it's time to put together my shiny new  mannequin.

I had to demo and salvage the stuffing from my old one, I lost weight and it has deformed a bit.

Gonna salvage this neck and the arms.

Flayed open and salvaging it's guts

fluffy fluffy guts

The overly complicated base I made years ago..

Look you only need the wooden structure to go from your waist to your shoulders-ish.
So long as you use a heavy enough base, that is a little wider than your shoulders and a few inches wider (front to back) than you. It won't have a risk of falling over.

I use two old, thin pillows. You don't want them to  be wider than your ribcage in either direction. Front to back or side to side (narrower than hips).

I connect them at about the where your delts (shoulders) start and on the sides at about where the bottom of your pecks are and naval.

Sorry I didn't get the full shot. I wrap a piece of one inch foam around the bottom to simulate my hips and this image is just me showing I put stuffing behind it to fill the gap behind it.

« Last Edit: Apr 12, 2024, 09:21 PM by Grendel » Logged
« Reply #7 on: Apr 07, 2024, 12:57 AM »
So here is the back sitting on the frame.

Notice all the registration marks.
Thank you Carlos!
Those make this whole thing work well! SUPER important!
Also important, mark the middle of your body vertically, front and back, where your chest is , collar bone, rib cage ends and abs start, naval, belt line all the way around.

Those registration marks are what is going to help you line up and tape back together your mannequin. I start at the bottom and work my way up slowly. take your time. I didn't get the shot but, my method is to tape skip a bit, tape and make sure to notice if the dummy slips at all or the registrations don't align, then it's easy to undo and go down far enough to make sure the edges are tight (butting up) and aligned properly.

You can kinda see if you look closer at my taping here.
I left the top of the neck open to help future me out putting stuffing inside.

Look! Nothing up my sleeve...
This time!

This is the important part!
Time to use you belt line to adjust how the dummy sits on the frame so the it is vertically and horizontally correct.

You are going to pull down ( and possibly up) on the bottom of the dummy, front and back, side to side on it to get it aligned so the dummy is "standing up straight.

this will take some adjusting, stepping back, looking at it from a distance to check from all sides if it is vertically and horizontally correct.
Does the arch of the back sway correctly?
Are your shoulders level , compared to how yours are in the mirror?
Remember to look at it from the back to compare where your shoulders sit.

« Last Edit: Apr 07, 2024, 06:54 PM by Grendel » Logged
« Reply #8 on: Apr 08, 2024, 05:01 AM »
Once you are happy with it, carefully start to staple it to the board.
You are gonna wanna continue stepping back and checking it as you are stapling it down.
Take your time.

It should look something like this.
Then you can clean up the bottom edge however you please.

You may notice it has gotten a little deformed in the process.

No worries so long as you have an even bottom that is solidly affixed, all you gotta do is stuff it to fix that.

« Reply #9 on: Apr 11, 2024, 10:30 AM »

I prefer to stuff the bottom “abs” area in front of the pillow, between the duct tape and the pillow. don't over stuff it.
Just enough for it to hold its form

For the upper chest area and upper back I put the filling/stuffing material in between the pillows.
The pilows will give the chest and back a smooth surface to work on.
Also, you are filling the cavity, not forcing/packing a bunch of stuffing in.
Remember the tape will stretch so don't force a bunch in there.
You want it to be to you dimensions.

After you've filled the chest you are gonna want to finish off the arms.
Originally I tapes the ends across the diameter of the bottom of the sleeves and then rewrapped the sleeve tube once I filled them in.
It might be easier to fill them in before finishing the chest/back cavity area.
I inserted the pieces I salvaged from my previous one to extend the arms on this one and I also re-used the neck piece.

The danger of over stuffing is a real thing-! We want our dummy to be a useful mannequin, hold it's shape and not be a over sized waste of tape.
Hence the reason for the naval and chest marks!
I use them as a guide to know where to add or move the stuffing.
Also handing to have a large mirror to look at yourself in and compare.

« Last Edit: Apr 11, 2024, 10:41 AM by Grendel » Logged
« Reply #10 on: Apr 11, 2024, 10:42 AM »
Ok, now is where it gets messy... Ish!
We want the dummy to be to our dimensions, and as I have mentioned it is easy to over stuff it and stretch the tape.
I marked the dimensions of my chest, where the ribs become my stomach, where my floating ribs are, my naval and the belt line.

The measured width around myself at the naval is forty one inches, unfortunately the Dummy ate to much stuffing!

So here is a trick, tie a loop on a end of a string

Measure to your desired length and mark it

Wrap it around the dummy  at the correct height and length by tying a knot where I marked it

« Last Edit: Apr 11, 2024, 10:51 AM by Grendel » Logged
« Reply #11 on: Apr 11, 2024, 10:54 AM »
Rinse and repeat for the ribs to abs section

If you cant tell I plan on creating a little cincher/waist corset type thing to pull in the wast on my dummy to match my dimensions

« Last Edit: Apr 12, 2024, 09:24 PM by Grendel » Logged
« Reply #12 on: Apr 11, 2024, 10:58 AM »

And there you go, I have brought in the areas of importance to the appropriate width and can see how  how much needs to be brought in. My plane is to either use rope to make a cincher or a piece of material and  make a short corset.

« Reply #13 on: Apr 12, 2024, 06:13 PM »
Thank you for that tutorial, I need to do that ASAP.

« Reply #14 on: Apr 12, 2024, 10:29 PM »
Thank you for that tutorial, I need to do that ASAP.

You are welcome! Hit me up if you have any questions before you start.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!