Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Naasad Tal's WIP - NEW BLASTERS - 8 Jan 2016

• 303 Replies

Naasad Tal

• "Aliit ori'shya tal'din"
  • Awards 150 troops 15+ clan level invasions Family events 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
Hey guys, sorry I have not updated this thread in so long, I have been without reliable computer access for about 7 months (let me tell you, ITS BEEN HELL!), the good news is I recently got myself a brand spankin new smartphone (thank you uncle Sam) & just this morning I found out that I can use it to upload pics from photobucket to here (ALL HAIL THE GALAXY S 4G!!!) So it may take me a couple days, but I will start working on gettin you guys up to speed with what  I have been up too in my forced absence...I look forward to hearing back from you guys & getting critiques & comments as well

Thanx for being patient & looking

Chris

Chris S. OM# 454
Shonare Vhekadla Clan #33
Brigades: Desert Ops #2
Societies: VRCA #20, Elegant Mando #66, Cabur Akaata #72, Vode Be Vhekad #2
Re: Naasad Tal's WIP - Please excuse my absence
« Reply #101 on: Mar 12, 2011, 05:39 AM »
realy likeing ur kit one of the better new kits ive seen keep it up and keep posting pics

"From that day forth my arm changed and a voice rang out power give ME MORE POWER! And if I become a demon, so be it. I will endure the exile. Anything to protect her."

Naasad Tal

• Awards 150 troops 15+ clan level invasions Family events 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
Re: Naasad Tal's WIP - Please excuse my absence
« Reply #102 on: Mar 12, 2011, 04:23 PM »
Ok guys here we go with the progress & completed pics ive gotten since I posted an official update...

First, my helmet...still in progress but makin progress...

Still gotta ways to go, but if I can get over my fear of it, maybe I can get it finished up (or mostly) this week. I got the welding shield for the visor as well as the ear pieces & all the other odds & end greebs im gonna use on it

Next, my right gauntlet...

Just gotta attach the feed tube for the flamethrower...the left gauntlet still has, a aways to go yet

Now, my gunbelt...gotta small design change (compare to above pic)

Still gotta get the pouches (how they comin Josh?) & gotta mount the dets & flamethrower fuel tank

Got some new "toys"...a hold out blaster which sits in a cross draw holster on my gunbelt

& I was thinkin one day "I got close range covered as well as  reach out & touch someone, but no mid-range weapons", so I redesigned & rebuilt my rifle, & without furthet adeu, I give you "The Beast 2.0"

I moved the "windage computer" to the left side with the canister, put a removable power pack on the right & it now has interchangable barrels, still got the 36in one to reach out with, but it also has a 13in for a more verp look & feel...my adika wanted to pose with it...

...how could I say no ;)

& finally got my flight suit...

Also got the fabric for my trench & girthbelt/loincloth thing, got those knocked out  & did a quick test fit...

Still gotta ways to go, but as I said, still makin progress...lemme know what you guys think, as always comments & critiques welcome

Thanx for lookin,

Chris

Chris S. OM# 454

Cdr. Ch'ren Jud'se

• Last official Verd'ika with no relatives in!
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
Re: Naasad Tal's WIP - updated 12 Mar 11 - FINALLY got those pics up
« Reply #103 on: Mar 12, 2011, 04:31 PM »
wow! i love that verpine! nice job on it! makes me want to redo mine xD
And as for the robe thing, looks good! make sure you add a few taters to it so it looks used, like maybe some burns?

Teren Clan

Naasad Tal

« Reply #104 on: Mar 12, 2011, 04:47 PM »
Im working on weathering the jacket & loincloth/girthbelt this weekend, got some blaster strike holes in the jacket, but theres still alot more weathering to do on it...ill put up more pics onve I get em

Chris S. OM# 454

Shevla Ram'ser

• Osik, they have a tank...
« Reply #105 on: Mar 12, 2011, 07:48 PM »
Jedi robe? --> Jedi Mando?    That's the first thing that crossed my mind, ner vod. I LOVE everything, but I hope there are altercations planned for the robe....  well, if the App team thinks it's too close to jedi mando, that is.

Especially lovin' the gaunts and verp.  :)

"If it's 'NERF or nothing' , I choose nothing..."

Naasad Tal

« Reply #106 on: Mar 12, 2011, 07:53 PM »
Thanx for comments guys, as for naasad being a jedi mando, hes only force sensitive, full jedi mandos are not allowed by the crls. I guess with the hood  & the colors of my kit my jacket does bare a resemblance to a jedi robe but its not...My guys a gunslinger/assassin who works mainly in the desert & the jacket is a duster with a hood (see the first pic on the first post for my original inspiration)

Again, thanx for the comments & I hope to have more pics up soon

Thanx for looking,

Chris

« Last Edit: Mar 12, 2011, 08:08 PM by Naasad Tal » Logged

Chris S. OM# 454

Solus Kyr

• Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 50 official invasions. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #107 on: Mar 12, 2011, 09:54 PM »
Jedi robe? --> Jedi Mando?    That's the first thing that crossed my mind, ner vod. I LOVE everything, but I hope there are altercations planned for the robe....  well, if the App team thinks it's too close to jedi mando, that is.

Why is it every time someone see's a robe they think Jedi...
First off it has no arms/sleeves, second why is it only Jedi can wear robes?
Where is this rule written?
Do you see a light saber?
Do you see him waving his hand?

Lets all work together to get over this ridiculous stereo type.

Chris You have done an amazing Job when I saw the picture with the robe I thought WOW! That Looks Cool! you continue to out due yourself as always. Keep up the good work you Kit is looking amazing and you'll be Official in no time. "even with the robe"

Corr Ordo

• I'm a bad person. Just plain awful.
« Reply #108 on: Mar 12, 2011, 10:01 PM »

Why is it every time someone see's a robe they think Jedi...
First off it has no arms/sleeves, second why is it only Jedi can wear robes?
Lets all work together to get over this ridiculous stereo type.

I thought, "hooded trench vest" first, actually. But Solus has a point.

My favorite part is definitely your gauntlets. I was considering something like that earlier, and now that I've seen yours, I'm pretty set on that idea. Keep up the awesome work! :)

What? Is this thing on? Oh, uh, death upon your head and such.

Kel Toi

• The Kilted Mando!
« Reply #109 on: Mar 12, 2011, 10:06 PM »
First off (1) The gun belt is amazin ! Where can i get one ? (2) The Verp look's great . (3) Weathering is spot on ! (4) Love the robe etc ... But i would go with a cod piece , other wise your kit look's Great , Plus i think your attention to detail is brilliant , well done . I look forward to seeing this finished  ;)

Hondo Karr

• Awards Team Player - 1 of 2 Official Members who are best Matching Pair Award for 25 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #110 on: Mar 12, 2011, 10:34 PM »
I'll disagree with Thomas and Corr... first thing I thought when I saw it was Jedi-Mando... mostly because of the hood and the color. It reminds me of the deviant art pic of the hooded Mando with the lightsaber eveyone on Facebook likes to recolor as their RP character.

Overall, I think it looks really good however, I definatly think it's too fabric heavy.

Solus Kyr

• Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 50 official invasions. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #111 on: Mar 12, 2011, 10:45 PM »
I'll disagree with Thomas and Corr... first thing I thought when I saw it was Jedi-Mando... mostly because of the hood and the color. It reminds me of the deviant art pic of the hooded Mando with the lightsaber eveyone on Facebook likes to recolor as their RP character.

Overall, I think it looks really good however, I definatly think it's too fabric heavy.

Funny because thats the pic he first sent Me when he started building this kit and by the way nobody asked you.  :P

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Cyrus Rang

• Go ahead and run...Chasing you is fun!
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #112 on: Mar 12, 2011, 10:48 PM »
IMHO I would ex the hood but thats up to you. At least take a few inches off the bottom of the coat. And add one of those slits in the back at the bottom to give it a more trench coat look.
Other than that its looking good.

Naasad Tal

« Reply #113 on: Mar 12, 2011, 10:51 PM »
The pick is the "arctic assassin" pic from deviant art (its in the first post on this thread), but I think as it was suggested originally A'den that, ive added my own flair to the design, as for the colors, im in the desert gotta do desert-y colors

I appreciate all the feedback so far, keep it coming guys!

Chris S. OM# 454

Hondo Karr

• Awards Team Player - 1 of 2 Official Members who are best Matching Pair Award for 25 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #114 on: Mar 12, 2011, 10:52 PM »
He posted here for all to see so there  :P

I understand the idea of using fabrics for a variety of things such as enviromental camo. However, a straight cut, singleo color cloak wouldn't do that as well as something multicolored. I also understand the use of it to keep cool. However, 1 in Arizona except for this year's Fiesta Bowl Parade, in armor it's going to make the heat issue worse, not help deflect it and 2. "in universe" the armor's sealed and self cooled.

The more armor that shows the better, the more armor that's covered by fabric the less Mando it looks. I think if you added a cod and lost the loincloth that would help. Loincloths while way more comfortable than cod plates seldom if ever looks as good.

Cyrus' comment on the trench and hood are good idea's as well.

Kel Toi

• The Kilted Mando!
« Reply #115 on: Mar 12, 2011, 10:54 PM »
I need to disagree here , i think the robe look's good ! but i said before it need's a cod piece . Plus if there is either thigh's , knee's and shin armour it will look sweet , boot plates etc ! Im liking this  ;D

Cyrus Rang

• Go ahead and run...Chasing you is fun!
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #116 on: Mar 12, 2011, 10:57 PM »
I need to disagree here , i think the robe look's good ! but i said before it need's a cod piece . Plus if there is either thigh's , knee's and shin armour it will look sweet , boot plates etc ! Im liking this  ;D

But see... you said "robe". Its supposed to be a sleeve less trench coat.  ;)

Hondo Karr

« Reply #117 on: Mar 12, 2011, 10:57 PM »
But see... you said "robe". Its supposed to be a sleeve less trench coat.  ;)

^^^^^^^^^^^  8) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yeah, this  ;D

Kel Toi

• The Kilted Mando!
« Reply #118 on: Mar 12, 2011, 11:05 PM »
Robe shmobe ! I still think it look's good  ;D Smock ! or Trench coat ! Whatever ! It will look different when the bucket is on etc ..

Solus Kyr

« Reply #119 on: Mar 13, 2011, 12:10 AM »
I love messing with you PJ.

Yes I will say I agree with loosing the Loin cloth and going with a Cod would look good.

Cdr. Ch'ren Jud'se

• Last official Verd'ika with no relatives in!
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #120 on: Mar 13, 2011, 12:12 AM »
Robe shmobe ! I still think it look's good  ;D Smock ! or Trench coat ! Whatever ! It will look different when the bucket is on etc ..
you forgot toga  ;D :D

Teren Clan

Naasad Tal

« Reply #121 on: Mar 13, 2011, 03:08 PM »
Just wanted to clear up a couple concerns that some folks had...

1st, the heat in AZ...the material is a light breatheable linen & doesnt add, much if any, extra heat or weight to my kit

2nd, the amount of fabric...yes it is alot of fabric, but it could worse, I deliberately chose not to do sleeves for this reason. As for using it to cover up armor, thats the point, on a desert planet (where my character works) like say, Tatooine, the native populice (tusken raiders, etc) wear layers to protect from sandstorms & the like, my jacket serves this purpose as well as concelement in a crowd, even though the armor may be conceled for the most part, it is all still there & when I submit my app, I was planning on doing the pics without the jacket so the armor can be evaluated for what it is.

3rd I absolutely hate the cod piece so I want to keep the loincloth,  I know, that it adds even more fabric but I think that it adds a little extra over the top uniqueness to my kit

I actually will make 2 of the  changes to the jacket that Cyrus suggested...ill keep the hood but maybe shorten it (although the pic is without boots & with them on the bottom of the jacket is about  2in off the deck) & then ill do the slit up the back, itll go from the bottom of the jaclet to about my waist

Thank you all for the comments & advice, I truly appreciate everything being said aboug my kit whether its good or bad, so please it coming

& to Kel T, the gunbelt came from my own head, with a little bit of  inspiration from Han Solo's...but im glad you like it ;)

« Last Edit: Mar 13, 2011, 03:13 PM by Naasad Tal » Logged

Chris S. OM# 454

Hondo Karr

« Reply #122 on: Mar 13, 2011, 03:41 PM »
At least you have a plan lol.

I did a Tuskin based Mando for my son. Gave him a kama and loincloth (bleh   :-X ) but, it works with the kit. I also gave him a shemagh which rides around his neck but could wrap the helmet as well.

One thing about fabric... it's a tricky beast.... heavy fabrics look by far the best, more "realistic" to the movies but, they add alot of heat. Lightweight fabrics for capes, kama's and loincloths are certainly more comfortable but, they tend to look "costumey" or "Halloweeny".

Maybe try shortening the loincloth to no longer than midthigh. I think that will help alot too. It's at or below the knee's now.

Naasad Tal

« Reply #123 on: Mar 13, 2011, 03:48 PM »
Thanx PJ, Ive had so many ideas & plans go thru my head with this whole that most nights I cant sleep cuz my brain wont tuen off...ahhh costuming ;) 

shortening it may work, I have done some heavy weathering to the loincloth & I think once I get it on with the rest of the kit it'll work out, I did actually end up shortening it about an inch due the weathering

Chris S. OM# 454
« Reply #124 on: Mar 13, 2011, 08:39 PM »
Trench coats don't have hoods, which might be why some viewers are skewing towards "robe" or "cloak" instead of "duster" or "trench coat." I mean, you can call it whatever you want, but a real-world trench coat has a very specific look that this doesn't fit into. Also, I really like your paint job but it seems like, especially with the flash, the plates kinda fade into the vest. Maybe you could add a third color to make the plates "pop". It looks like your stuff, armor and soft parts, is well made, so I'm just trying to help you go from "good" to "wow"

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!