Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Tempest of K'Amon (Alias Hastur C'Tan)

• 22 Replies

Frost K'Amon

• We will bury them!
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Tempest of K'Amon (Alias Hastur C'Tan)
« on: Jun 01, 2010, 01:42 AM »
Well, this is the thread for the newly debuted Tempest costume. The beta was rolled out at Animazement 2010, and I figured he should get a thread here too.

---Conception, Production, Etc.---

This is the earliest full drawing of Tempest, dated to sometime last year. I had no idea what the boots would look like at this time, nor what other certain details of the costume would be. I did many individual drawing sheets after this, however I was unable to decide on a number of important design features. As can be seen below, Tempest lacked a weapon at this time. Certain details are consistant with the current costume however, such as the shape of the visor, the blue pinstripes, as well as the devided collar plate and solid chestplate.

Having done more design and concept work on tempest, I decided he would use a railgun, and put up several designs in a poll. Honestly, I was just hogging attention, as I'de already prettymuch decided on this design at the time. The Gun is comprised of cherry, cedar, and 1/8th inch plate aluminum. it eventually includes e-l wire in the barrel:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v322/Nachturnus/RailgunA.png?t=1275368576

Here are some pictures from salient points in the railgun's construction, from early to late:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v322/Nachturnus/IMG_6250.jpg?t=1275369098
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v322/Nachturnus/photo1.jpg?t=1275369095
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v322/Nachturnus/IMG_6257.jpg?t=1275369068
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v322/Nachturnus/IMG_6261.jpg?t=1275369081

The most recent design picture, undertaken after certain components of the costume had been purchased, is as follows. Oddly enough, there is no real armor depicted here, but the railgun, wetsuit, and boots are much more similar to their final incarnations. Ivven Oyre is pictured here with Tempest.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v322/Nachturnus/Scan0000-5.jpg

--BETA Version .5B--

In helping Soren Deiderich with making his first (and really awesome looking) suit of armor, my own progress was delayed slightly, and thus I ran out of time to get version 1.0 off the line for animazement. I still wore the costume (as I'm impatient that way) but there are certain features that were not entirely finished, and will be so before I declare Version 1.0 complete.

One can see the costume closely resembles the original concept in color scheme, and even in design schema. The boots are huge, and based loosely off of ironman/war machine style boots.

The Rail gun is actually amazingly large, and fairly heavy (about 12 lbs), and I will need to build a strap system for it. It became very tiresome to carry. One can also see that Tempest has borrowed Frost's belt. This was because I realized, literally 30 seconds before I walked out the door, that my costume had no pockets, and thus I had no where to put my car keys, cellphone, and wallet. Something will be done about that situation in the near future.

The Codpeice hangs quite a bit lower than I expected, and I will need to raise it's attachment system. It is a hanging cod, just as S'Do's is, suspended by two ribbon belt-loops. I will need to shorten these. One can also clearly see the front of the helmet and the SWG-style shoulders in this picture.  The shoulders came out pretty well in my opinion, and they fit wonderfully. I discovered to my surprise that they seemed to opperate just fine without a strap around the second part of the shoulder.

The diagonal cuts in the visor actually drastically increase my viewing area, and the range-finder is a very different shape from the standard Boba one. The carriers for the arm/hand armor need to be darkened even further. They were dyed the night before the Con, and didn't take very well to the darker color. I intend to dye them again with a navy blue, which if it gets about 20% saturation like the black did, should bring the color closer in line to a lighter blue than one can see in small areas of the wetsuit.

In this shot, you can see the cut-off back of the helmet (which allows me to look straight up without the helmet wobbling/falling off), the boots, the stop-gap backplate, and my incredibly sexy butt. The boots only have two colors painted on them, as I literally painted both colors that morning, and the same goes for the backplate. The Backplate is actually the baseplate for a very cool looking PSG/Jetpack, however I was unable to complete that before the con. There is obviously a problem with the back of the suit below the backplate, as my butt is prettymuch the only defining feature back tehre, and thus I will have to think of something to do with that. Kamas and Capes are out of the question, but if anyone has any other ideas, please post them in the thread :D

Another picture of my armor from the front. One can clearly see the split collar, as well as the arm armor. If you're wondering why myself, the Storm Trooper, and Riv Serulius Don't have any of our weapons with us (other than Riv's sneaky DL-44) is because we were in the Dealer Room at the time, and they didn't want people walking around with large prop weapons for saftey, security, and hazard reasons. A few of the earlier pictures are from the dealer room as well.  

--VERSION 1.0 AND THE FUTURE OF TEMPEST---

Version 1.0
Tempest still has a lot left to do before I will delcare him in his first version Animazment is traditionally my "Test Bed" convention, where I work out kinks and problems with my armor. Tempest will need to complete the afore-mentioned parts in order to be considered in version 1.0. This version will probably never be shown at a con, but will immediately be upgraded into version 1.5

Version 1 to do:
Modifications: Raise Codpeice.
Finish Building- PSG/Jetpack, Boots, Boot armor, Range Finder greebles, A belt with pockets.
Finish Painting- Boots, Railgun, PSG/Jetpack, Range Finder, (dying) Arm armor carriers.

Version 1.5
This costume will probably be aired at CV. It will include upgraded and greebled out boots, probably with some modifications to make the knees taller and the back of the knees slightly lower for movement sake. The Rail Gun will include a strap, and probably some other mods, possibly a magazine slotted in on the side. Hopefully his side arm, the Flayer Pistol will also be complete at this time. I will also implement whatever I decide on using to cover up my butt. I also intend to "clutter" the thighs up a little, as they seem bare to me, and thus I will probably either add in an armature around them, or possibly a holster for the flayer, as well as some other armory/belty things.

The Future

In the end, I want to Flute  all of tempest's metal armor, and run EL wire along all of the metal components, creating the "TRON" effect. I hope to get his PSG working with EL wire and LEDs, as well as figure out some way of not sweating my face off in the costume. I also will probably upgrade the helmet from the rubies 2pc it is now to a resin helmet at some point. maybe get it stuffed with fans and other goodies.

« Last Edit: Jun 01, 2010, 02:46 AM by Frost K'Amon » Logged
Re: Tempest of K'Amon (Alias Hastur C'Tan)
« Reply #1 on: Jun 01, 2010, 01:47 AM »
Wow! Thats amazing! Great job Frost :D

New Year, eventually a new signature...

Soren Diederik

• OM #0374
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #2 on: Jun 01, 2010, 01:51 AM »
In my defense I helped you out while making your boots and then stayed up after you went to bed to make my stuff and didn't got to bed until 0500. But yes, all of your suggestions and use of your shop really helped me out a lot! Its looking good and I know you've got a lot left to do.

Lifeburn

• This is the time to attack!
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #3 on: Jun 01, 2010, 02:06 AM »
Looks awesome Frost! I really like the helmet design. And you're definitely gonna have to find something to cover your lower backside. Can't wait to see the finished version 1.0 though.

Frost K'Amon

• We will bury them!
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #4 on: Jun 01, 2010, 02:10 AM »
And Yall though I was crazy to mod up a Rubies 2pc. Did a pretty good job of it I think, Imo.

Cut the cheeks out entirely, which definately helped the helmet keep better to a sort of "boba" shape.

« Reply #5 on: Jun 01, 2010, 02:14 AM »
Still don't see how you'll have time enough to keep the stripes lined up...but I'd suggest the chainmail kama we talked about on FB. You've got a really sleek design here and I'd love to see it keep the same lines.  But so far, so good, ner vod.  Have fun with it!    Oh, also, I'd check the attachment of your plates to your gaunt...looks like you were about to lose one there.

"...if she did indeed ever find herself dancing on rooftops with chimney sweeps she'd beat herself to death with her own umbrella."
--Terry Pratchett

Soren Diederik

• OM #0374
« Reply #6 on: Jun 01, 2010, 02:21 AM »
Hey, I moded a Rubies two piece myself. With enough elbow grease it works well.

Frost K'Amon

• We will bury them!
« Reply #7 on: Jun 01, 2010, 02:45 AM »
Hey, I moded a Rubies two piece myself. With enough elbow grease it works well.

And there inlies the Caveat :D

It certainly does take a huge ammount of work to make them passable, and even more to make them good. I've decided I prefer resin, but I wasnt about to chop up a hundred dollar helmet the way I did this one. I'll upgrade it eventually, but not today.

Calidus Dartome

• Saved a step...
« Reply #8 on: Jun 01, 2010, 02:52 AM »
Cool!

Dar'manda

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #9 on: Jun 01, 2010, 08:53 AM »
Only suggestion I can think of for the back minus a kama would be to make a butt-plate with similar "angular" design of the rest of the armor.  I think it might also be cool to finish off the boots with some large toe cap armor.  The ankles bulk up with the armor and then everything shrinks down with the smaller boot poking out.

Frost K'Amon

• We will bury them!
« Reply #10 on: Jun 01, 2010, 10:48 AM »
Only suggestion I can think of for the back minus a kama would be to make a butt-plate with similar "angular" design of the rest of the armor.  I think it might also be cool to finish off the boots with some large toe cap armor.  The ankles bulk up with the armor and then everything shrinks down with the smaller boot poking out.

thats actually my current plan w/ the boot armor tag :D

How do you mean angular butt-plate? something similar to stormies?

Dar'manda

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #11 on: Jun 01, 2010, 10:58 AM »
A butt plate, but not curvy, make it angular to match the ankle armor.  Or "polygonal" if you prefer.

Hondo Karr

• Awards Team Player - 1 of 2 Official Members who are best Matching Pair Award for 25 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #12 on: Jun 01, 2010, 01:53 PM »
Lookig great. I kow you have many things o your to-do list but, you are more than off to a great start!

Calidus Dartome

• Saved a step...
« Reply #13 on: Jun 01, 2010, 02:26 PM »
Maybe use some reference from the new Iron man 2 suit (more angular) and Halo master chief because being a video game it is gonna be more angular especially Halo CE.

Edit

(forgot to mention this as using reference for the sheb plate. sorry.)

« Last Edit: Jun 03, 2010, 04:03 PM by Calidus Dartome » Logged

Dar'manda

• Official Membership revoked, see signature.
« Reply #14 on: Jun 01, 2010, 04:36 PM »
yes, cover your -censored-

This member has been permanently removed from the club by Dar'manda for violations of the Mandalorian Mercs By-Laws.

Fenris Hettir'eso

• There is no fate but what we make for ourselves.
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #15 on: Jun 01, 2010, 09:31 PM »
I'm with McCoy on this one  ;D

Seriously though, I was thinking along the same lines as Tag. I was kind of thinking of segmented armor attached to your back plate, down your lower back, and then a butt plate. Also, if you eventually go your Tron inspired route, some EL wire down the back and back of your legs will make things more interesting than just your butt alone.

We shall bear its weight together.
Forged like the saber in the fires of death, Brothers all.
VODE AN

Frost K'Amon

• We will bury them!
« Reply #16 on: Jun 01, 2010, 09:47 PM »
I'm with McCoy on this one  ;D

Seriously though, I was thinking along the same lines as Tag. I was kind of thinking of segmented armor attached to your back plate, down your lower back, and then a butt plate. Also, if you eventually go your Tron inspired route, some EL wire down the back and back of your legs will make things more interesting than just your butt alone.

I actually cant. EL wire cant go on the suit because, if it is flexed to much, it breaks the circuit and stops glowing. In order to get the wetsuit off, I basically have to turn it inside out, which definately bends the bajessus out of it. I'll probably do the butt-plate thing.

Riv Serulius

• Yub Yub
  • Awards Celebration Chicago Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 25 official invasions. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #17 on: Jun 02, 2010, 09:07 AM »
I've always liked the colors of Tempest since you posted up the drawings.

I think the railgun needs a few more greebles.  Just minor things, like washers or nuts that could be glued on and then painted over, so they appear to be part of the construction.  Mainly just needs more texturing and contrast.  Maybe if the gun had a diagonal black stripe painted along the barrel or something, similar to the armor scheme.

Frost K'Amon

• We will bury them!
« Reply #18 on: Jun 02, 2010, 10:19 AM »
I've always liked the colors of Tempest since you posted up the drawings.

I think the railgun needs a few more greebles.  Just minor things, like washers or nuts that could be glued on and then painted over, so they appear to be part of the construction.  Mainly just needs more texturing and contrast.  Maybe if the gun had a diagonal black stripe painted along the barrel or something, similar to the armor scheme.

Yeah, the gun needs a lot more work. I ran out of time to paint it, but hopefully I'll be able to get some more done soon.

Dar'manda

• Official Membership revoked, see signature.
« Reply #19 on: Jun 02, 2010, 09:13 PM »
and also, the plates look awesome

This member has been permanently removed from the club by Dar'manda for violations of the Mandalorian Mercs By-Laws.

Frost K'Amon

• We will bury them!
« Reply #20 on: Jun 03, 2010, 03:12 PM »
and also, the plates look awesome

:D I try. People kept giving me flack about ironman when I posted the design, but no one even mentioned him at the con, so people are obviously wrong.

Calidus Dartome

• Saved a step...
« Reply #21 on: Jun 03, 2010, 04:05 PM »
:D I try. People kept giving me flack about ironman when I posted the design, but no one even mentioned him at the con, so people are obviously wrong.

Iron man has got nothing on mandos!

Spanner Murraan

• the Big Stick
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #22 on: Jun 10, 2010, 02:07 PM »
"Tempest" as in Aqua Lad?

just kidding, i couldnt hide my comic nerd-dom. 

Lookin Great, Frost.

"what in the samhell is a Puma?"

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!