Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Bit of an issue with vest

• 7 Replies

Kora

• Queen of the Winter Harvest
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
Bit of an issue with vest
« on: Jun 01, 2010, 06:31 PM »
I don't have any pictures to illustrate what I mean just yet, so I'll try to explain as best I can.

This particular vest laces up the sides, but something I noticed from the way it originally was (with a backing behind the grommeted/lace up part) was that it would bunch horribly when I laced it up. So I never actually ended up using it. However with my new plates I find myself needing a new vest and, rather than spend the money on another one, I'm trying to make this one work. I've removed those pesky panels, and that has helped with the bunching some. But, it's still doing it enough to bother me.

Lacing it looser isn't an option as it's still not as skin tight as my old vest even when I have it laced as tightly as I can. I'm not sure if maybe it's because I need to shorten it somewhat, that line of logic being that maybe the curve into my hips is throwing it off. Would adding more grommets work (as there are only 8 total on each side of the vest, ie 4 on each flap)? If so, how in the world does one even add grommets (as I've never worked with them before)?

We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty.
- Mal, "Firefly"

Kora Solusar/Tiika Ruslin/Vaya Sinar Mendrosè

Saz

• Hodor'alor
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Best Blaster - Official Member with best looking Verpine Shatter Rifle Order of the Ori'Ramikad
Re: Bit of an issue with vest
« Reply #1 on: Jun 01, 2010, 06:40 PM »
I would probably say it is the curve of your body and you may need to compensate for that curve by having the two sections closer at the middle and more distance at the hips and chest.

Helmet builder and custom Maker, PM me for details or click here.

ITYS Counter now at 177.

Aysel

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #2 on: Jun 19, 2010, 12:11 PM »
try lacing it like a corset laces, start the laces from the top and bottom and have them meet in the middle, that way you can get the tightest fit at your waist something like this

tal nu'gotalu verd - ijaat vaabi
MAJIC (Mandos against jetpacks in combat) member #001

M5 #33

Kora

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #3 on: Jun 19, 2010, 03:13 PM »
Hm. I hadn't thought of trying to lace it that way. Whenever I have a spare set of hands I'll try the different lacing ways to see if I can get it to not bunch. If so, this vest will be for my winter kit now. Went ahead and decided to make my old vest work for my remake.

- Mal, "Firefly"

Mar'eyce

• Ma-ray-shay
« Reply #4 on: Jun 19, 2010, 05:55 PM »
Is there any kind of boning in the lacing closures? The vest I wear has 1/4 inch spiral steel(the flexible kind) along the edges where my gormmets are, and that prevents bunching and gapping. It also gives some support and structure....not enough to be corset-y, but just enough.  The flexible boning gives support while molding to your shape, which may be just what you need. It works well for me. :)

Kora

« Reply #5 on: Jun 19, 2010, 07:51 PM »
Aha! That may do the trick. So many things to try now. . .*chuckle*

- Mal, "Firefly"

Ver'ta Mdej

• Artillery is a lullaby
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #6 on: Jun 19, 2010, 08:04 PM »
If you just want to try out boning the edges, you can use 1/4" heavy duty zip ties to substitute for boning.  ;D Even heavy cording along the edge can help a lot with bunching.

Tracyaat cuyi buycika laar.

Hey, it's okay to be late to the party .. if you are the only one who leaves.

If I were a D&D character, I'd be Lawful Good. Yeah, I'm not much fun.

Mar'eyce

• Ma-ray-shay
« Reply #7 on: Jun 20, 2010, 07:36 AM »
Ah, zip ties. I have used those in costuming before. They are great for giving light support to garments.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!