Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Question about Rub n Buff

• 14 Replies

E'nam Atreuh

• "Ke nu'jurkadir sha Mando'ade..."
Question about Rub n Buff
« on: Jun 04, 2010, 10:52 AM »
 I'm Florida and it came to my attention that the Rub n Buff is based with wax,  so should I use it on my armor or just paint?

Dar'manda

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions.
Re: Question about Rub n Buff
« Reply #1 on: Jun 04, 2010, 10:54 AM »
A lot of folks who do Jangos use it for the silver as it's more shiny than paint.  I have always wondered if it can take a layer of paint over it or not.  I know one member here used it as his base coat and painted over it...but I never heard if there was eventual wearing off of the paint or not.

OriKad

• The Grizzled Old Sergeant of Mav Oya'la Clan
  • Awards Force Hunter Brigade Member Special Weapons 267th Rapid Assault Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Airmobile brigade member
« Reply #2 on: Jun 04, 2010, 11:30 AM »
In my experience the paint acts like a protective topcoat, so if it's applied in thin layers, it should stay on pretty good.  Masking it, however, is kind of a pain, since the masking tape, masking fluid, or whatever, just wants to take the rub n buff off.

Anyway, its waxness is a lot like shoe polish.  A little heat is good if you use the hot Florida weather to your advantage when buffing it.

Ver'ta Mdej

• Artillery is a lullaby
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #3 on: Jun 04, 2010, 11:49 AM »
One thing to be aware of is that if it's applied in too many layers it can become gummy with age. Not always, since I've seen it used in theatrical costume and last for years, but I had some old costume pieces polished with rub n buff that got sticky after several years.

Tracyaat cuyi buycika laar.

Hey, it's okay to be late to the party .. if you are the only one who leaves.

If I were a D&D character, I'd be Lawful Good. Yeah, I'm not much fun.

Hondo Karr

• Awards Team Player - 1 of 2 Official Members who are best Matching Pair Award for 25 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #4 on: Jun 04, 2010, 02:04 PM »
I don't have the humidity here that you have in Florida however, I have extreme heat... 115-120 even up to 125 at times for several months i the late Spring through early Fall. Ive used rub n buff on stuff with no problems at all. Also, I've painted over it with no issues. Actually makes a very nice base coat.

E'nam Atreuh

« Reply #5 on: Jun 04, 2010, 04:09 PM »
hmm i guess ill try it

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #6 on: Jun 04, 2010, 06:02 PM »
I started using base coats of rub n buff on plastic and wooden props and armor parts over the last few months. In fact, my bucket started with a layer of it. No problems so far with the paint over it, though when you add battle damage, you may want to use a clear top coat to seal it. I've noticed that, while the paint will adhere to the rub n buff, it tends to be easier to chip off. Plus, rub n buff technically doesn't 'dry' in the same way as paint. Even after it's dried/cured/whatever, it'll still rub off on fingers and clothing without some kind of top coat.

QMU 72| M.A.B.E.L. 77| Cabur Akaata 144

E'nam Atreuh

« Reply #7 on: Jun 04, 2010, 10:41 PM »
ahh good to know...

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
« Reply #8 on: Jun 04, 2010, 11:39 PM »
Figured I'd give you the heads up. Took me a couple days to figure out; I kept expecting it to actually, y'know, dry. Don't get me wrong, it doesn't come off much, but I ended up with silver fingertips a few times. Also, before you paint, give the rub n buff a few hours to dry/set/whatever-the-shab-it-does. Otherwise, you end up with the bubbled crackled lightning bolt effect you get from a bad paint reaction.

E'nam Atreuh

« Reply #9 on: Jun 05, 2010, 06:58 PM »
I'm just afraid that it will never stop coming off here in the muggy Florida weather...

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
« Reply #10 on: Jun 05, 2010, 09:10 PM »
Which is why you hit the entire thing with a clear sealing coat ;D. I'm pretty sure Florida doesn't get hot enough to melt the paint off :P.

E'nam Atreuh

« Reply #11 on: Jun 05, 2010, 09:27 PM »
oh it does when it's put away.. trust me i had to get a set of new armor.. long story short.. my paint ran off and it was a big goop.. plus my trash can armor warped!... so now i have sintra...

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
« Reply #12 on: Jun 06, 2010, 12:54 AM »
That may be evidence of improper storage; you'll want to keep it in a relatively cool place, regardless of where you live, and definitely never leave it in the car :P. And, I may be wrong, but doesn't sintra become flexible at lower temps than trash-can plastic? Depending, of course, on the trash can in question.

E'nam Atreuh

« Reply #13 on: Jun 07, 2010, 11:42 AM »
oh i learned my leason...

TheMandoMan

• MMCC #0001
« Reply #14 on: Jun 07, 2010, 11:20 PM »
When I repainted all of my armor earlier this year, I put a base coat of Rub'n'Buff on all of my armor.  I let it sit for a day, then used my Windsor and Newton masking fluid to mask off damage and painted with Rustoleum Painters Touch.  Worked out just fine, and none of the Rub'n'Buff came off.  I've also used latex rubber meant for making molds to mask off damage which worked great as well.

"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later." -Mitch Hedberg

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!