Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Modding Xknees to comply with CRLs (Worklog, photo-heavy)

• 5 Replies

Ver'ta Mdej

• Artillery is a lullaby
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
I have a set of Xknees that I'm in love with the fit and stability and comfort of. I REALLY wanted to use them as a base for my new knees. It's taken quite some time, though, and I've gone through a bunch of different revisions.

Original sketch of my concept to rework my armor:

You can see my first idea to camouflage the Xknees, and how there are no visible holes, a single smooth knee plate and then side plates inspired by medieval jousting armor joint protection.

I tried all kinds of templates in card (no photos) and had no satisfactory success.  :-\

Pity, I REALLY liked that design. I can probably make it work, but it'll take more engineering and patience than I have time for.

Next versions only made it to sketches. I hated how they looked for my overall concept. But they are workable designs, and maybe someone else can use them!

Front:

Sides:

FINAL VERSION:
I have no photos of the patterning process of the final version, but basically I wanted something that worked with my shins as well as possible because they will be so close together. I ended up with a design that echoed the center rib design of the shins.

This is a scan of the pattern I worked out with cardstock over the xknee plates:

Cut, shaped and glued:

First coat of Evil Frosting:

Sanded, ready for primer:

How the plate covers the original knee plate:

You are probably wondering how I am planning to deal with the pad and the bands and the handy, handy clips. That's all still in process, but essentially, I am covering the pads AND the clips with the same cloth my suit is made from, dyed the same, and making a channel behind the knee for each band in my pantlegs. I haven't done the alterations to my suit yet, but I DO plan to take detailed photos of the  process and make sketches of what is going where for that portion of the process.

I have partially covered one pad, but it's not done yet. I still need to sew on the elastic along the "button" edge so that it lines up to cover the openings of the channels in my pantleg. So it's waiting for the work on the suit to be done.

Unfinished covered pad, front, no visible sewing stitches - my plan is for this to appear to be just some wrinkles in my suit when worn:

Back (you can see the stitches here):

Plate on unfinished covered pad:

Finally, I plan to attach the plates after they are painted by inserting six chicago screws through a small slash in the pad covering under the original plate, and then gluing them down to the plates with hotglue (flexible hot melt so they don't crack off).

Tracyaat cuyi buycika laar.

Hey, it's okay to be late to the party .. if you are the only one who leaves.

If I were a D&D character, I'd be Lawful Good. Yeah, I'm not much fun.

Ver'ta Mdej

• Artillery is a lullaby
Re: Modding Xknees to comply with CRLs (Worklog, photo-heavy)
« Reply #1 on: Jun 05, 2010, 05:16 PM »
Any advice? Opinions?  ;D

I should probably reiterate that my reason for using these knees for a base is that I really want to have a kneepad I can depend on - I actually lost quite a bit of the flesh over one kneecap in a skateboarding accident 20 years ago, and I'm kind of heavy now, so I NEED a pad that can help actually pad my knee and not shift. It's the same kind of reasoning behind how I built Beloved's knees over well padded drywall knees (he has had knee surgery and I didn't want him to have to deal with damage from a costume piece while posing).

I didn't get these cos they were cool or pretty. If that's all you need, get some closed cell foam and build your own shell and line it with the foam :)

Hondo Karr

• Awards Team Player - 1 of 2 Official Members who are best Matching Pair Award for 25 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #2 on: Jun 05, 2010, 05:32 PM »
That totally changes the look of the knee, makes it not look "off the shelf" and works!

E'nam Atreuh

• "Ke nu'jurkadir sha Mando'ade..."
« Reply #3 on: Jun 05, 2010, 08:16 PM »
Any pics of the finished knee on? I wanna steal your idea but without the material.

pinocchio

• The Biscalor
  • Awards Celebration Chicago Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #4 on: Jun 06, 2010, 01:07 AM »
very good job man

COMPLAINING DOES NOT GIVE YOU POWER, BUT CREATING WILL.

Ver'ta Mdej

• Artillery is a lullaby
« Reply #5 on: Jun 06, 2010, 05:16 PM »
Thank so much! I am also planning to mod a set of Xknees for Adennuur, but I want to try out using WonderFlex to skin them so that worklog will have to wait.  ;D

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!