Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Jango's Rain Poncho & Hat (comic)

• 21 Replies
Jango's Rain Poncho & Hat (comic)
« on: Jun 21, 2010, 07:16 PM »
No, I'm not referring to the ugly rug that never made it into the movies and screamed for a motivational pic. What I want to create is Jango's rain garb, the one he wears on Kamino in the "Zam Wessel" comic-book. It's much more stylish in shape and the Japanese influence on the hat is interesting as well.

I want it to be waterproof for real and warm enough to replace the woolen mantle that can't hide it's medival market origins. I found a light grey garden-table cover which I took apart, then cut and arranged the panels for a first impression:

There will be a vertical seam in the center and the folds won't be as horizontal as in the drawing, but it will be more functional this way. It will also look longer on me and cover-up my kama, but the sides will be open for the shin-guards and beskad-sheath.

The paper squares will be replaced by aluminum plates. I wonder if I want them to be part of a funktional hook-loop system or if they will just cover up the seam of the velcro inside. Opinions?

« Last Edit: Nov 06, 2010, 06:56 PM by Tomoe » Logged
This member has been permanently removed from the club by Dar'manda for violation of the Mandalorian Mercs Codex.

Mafio

Re: Jango's Rain Poncho (comic)
« Reply #1 on: Jun 21, 2010, 07:39 PM »
Hm...  looks  real simple.   A quick alternative  when you are to lazy to wear the full 'gam  or  need  to get a compfortable gear  to  relax from the trooping day before.

Snap-Buttons (druckknöpfe) might work better for the closing.    I always thing on snapbuttons  when its a raincoat/jacket.

The Hat reminds me  somehow  on a cobra's neck.   

Ok   a Longshot.    ;)

Bare Col'Mera

• "BAH-reh"
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #2 on: Jun 21, 2010, 11:45 PM »
I think that would look great.  Actually, I was going to include a similar idea on my build.  It looks functional and practical, and I can totally see a Mando wearing it.  When you get it done, would you mind if I got in touch to talk to you about it some more?  As you can see, I'm thoroughly impressed with the concept.

GreatSkyRiver Falco

• Haamyc ner nu'amyc
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #3 on: Jun 21, 2010, 11:58 PM »
thats nice Tomoe.

Hm...  looks  real simple.   A quick alternative  when you are to lazy to wear the full 'gam  or  need  to get a compfortable gear  to  relax from the trooping day before.

Snap-Buttons (druckknöpfe) might work better for the closing.    I always thing on snapbuttons  when its a raincoat/jacket.

The Hat reminds me  somehow  on a cobra's neck.   

Ok   a Longshot.    ;)

oh snap! Serpentor!

OriKebiin'traYustapir
Victory, not vengence.
reality is a hologram created by our minds.
M.A.J.I.C # 008
« Reply #4 on: Jun 27, 2010, 10:38 AM »

This is what takes me so long to update: I bast the rounded hems before blindstitching. This way, there won't be visible seams and the rounding will be nice and even. Same methode could be used on a Kama as well.

Jai'galaar members: Ich habe noch meterweise Stoff von der Seitenbahn der Tischabdeckung übrig. kann jemand 1-2 Meter brauchen? Das Zeug taugt auch für Kamas, Gamaschen etc. Tenshi, Du könntest vielleicht eine Rolle davon oben auf den Rucksack schnallen und damit die nötige Rückenabdeckung erziellen?

This member has been permanently removed from the club by Dar'manda for violation of the Mandalorian Mercs Codex.

Jango Jet

• Jai'galaar Clan
« Reply #5 on: Jun 27, 2010, 11:48 AM »
WOW looking phantastic!

Sieht phantastisch aus!!!!! Es sieht so aus, als ob die Figur aus dem Comic gestiegen ist und seinen Mantel aufgehängt hat!
Ich glaube, ich brauche dringend noch einige Comics zum Thema Mandalorianer... Einfach als Inspiration  ;)
Hat tatsächlich große asiatische Einflüsse. Eine sehr schöne Arbeit! 

Hm, mit einem Kama habe ich mich noch garnicht beschäftigt...

Tomoe, ich bin durch Zufall über diesen Thread gestolpert... Gibt es eine Möglichkeit/eine Einstellung um besser über neue Threads bestimmter Mitglieder (z. B. unseres Clans) informiert zu werden? Oder wäre das nicht auch etwas für unseren "Sammelthread"?

Verd ori'shya Beskar'gam - Ein Krieger ist mehr als seine Rüstung

Fenn Shysa-Build:

Helmet: 60%
Armor: 80%
Softparts: 100%
Weapons: 50%

Nickname: Shiny

Jango Jet

• Jai'galaar Clan
« Reply #6 on: Jun 27, 2010, 12:22 PM »
OK... SORRY!

Jetzt habe ich auch gesehen, daß Du Deinen Sammel-Thread endsprechend erweitert hast  :-[

Verd ori'shya Beskar'gam - Ein Krieger ist mehr als seine Rüstung

Fenn Shysa-Build:

Helmet: 60%
Armor: 80%
Softparts: 100%
Weapons: 50%

Nickname: Shiny
« Reply #7 on: Jul 08, 2010, 08:50 AM »
Completed:

...and tested:

The pattern:

« Last Edit: Jul 08, 2010, 09:07 AM by Tomoe » Logged
« Reply #8 on: Nov 06, 2010, 06:55 PM »
Necropost, yeah!

Got the hat in the works, the small part goes on the back and helps to stabilize the piping. The original design colors it black. I'll probably go for dark metal paint as opposed to the aluminum.

Beginning of a step-by-step documentary, since I also practize for my next helmet. Dishing that big surface will take a while.

Re: Jango's Rain Poncho & Hat (comic)
« Reply #9 on: Nov 07, 2010, 11:05 AM »
While I continued dishing I had the problem with areas folding back in when I went deeper. Since I don't have a caved dishing plate, I improvised the following cushion to support the edges of the bowl-shape while I dish on the felt in the center:

I wrap up a length of fabric  tightly( the first rag is about 0.4x2m, the other 0.4x1.3m, torn from an old cotton bedcloth) curl it into a ring and thread the long end through it to form a wraith. Then I fold the quarter along the length and wrap it over the ring crosswise.

Cheap trick, helped me a lot to control the metal.

I think I'm doens with dishing, I won't try to go any deeper but attach another piece to the front to get the look right. two tiny lamps to go in between I already have.

« Last Edit: Nov 07, 2010, 11:06 AM by Tomoe » Logged

Cyrus Rang

• Go ahead and run...Chasing you is fun!
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #10 on: Nov 07, 2010, 01:12 PM »
good job on the rain coat/poncho. can we see some pics with it on?

« Reply #11 on: Nov 07, 2010, 02:07 PM »
Sorry, I#ve worn it a couple of times now, but somehow I never get to take pics of this one... probably because it's such a practical piece.

« Reply #12 on: Nov 13, 2010, 12:08 PM »
I polish the aluminum parts with wet iron wool - no dust. Don't do it in a porcelain wash basin, that would leave marks on the china you can only remove with a special cleaning paste.

Planished and assembled the front:

Even though it is based on a graphic novel art, I like to keep it functional, for example by translating the little circles over the eyebrow with functional lamps:

Added the fabric-rim:

Dished the little clasp for the back:

« Last Edit: Nov 14, 2010, 04:27 AM by Tomoe » Logged
« Reply #13 on: Nov 14, 2010, 07:28 AM »
Now to the inside:

upper ring is the inside of a traditional japanese pilgrim's hat with a tengui for padding and sweat-band.
Below is the ring I sew for Jangi's rain hat. There is an aluminum band inside as stiffener that goes over the forehead. The ring on top is sewn from a roll of black felt. It still needs another seam and the fixing bands: two loops that go over the ears and a thin strap to be tied over the chin.

Dragon Sunkiller

• Always remember.... that way you never forget!
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #14 on: Nov 14, 2010, 07:39 AM »
That looks great! Way to go, as usual!

M.A.J.I.C. #057
OM# 371

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!