Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

color meanings

• 26 Replies
color meanings
« on: Jun 22, 2010, 10:28 PM »
i found this on a couple site about what each mandalorian color stood for and some info about the armor(star wars wiki info)

The wearer was protected from the majority of all blaster fire. Armor made of actual Mandalorian iron, which could also deflect blaster bolts, made it lightsaber-resistant.
 The helmets almost always possessed a T-shaped visor and a sophisticated heads-up display (HUD).
 Mandalorian warriors decorated their armor to reflect personal accomplishments, clan affiliation, or simply personal preference. They often repainted their armor to reflect rank, clan, and possibly the current terrain. They were also known to paint their armor in the traditional colors that represented specific causes the individual might currently be undertaking. The colors, however, did not always have a specific meaning. Sometimes they were just colors that the particular Mandalorian liked. Some Mandalorians wore pieces of armor to honor relatives, both dead and alive.[9] As of the Clone Wars, these colors were known to have significance:

1. Gray=Mourning a Lost Love
   2. Red=Honoring a Father
   3. Black=Justice
   4. Gold=Vengeance
   5. Green=Duty
   6. Blue=Reliability
   7. Orange=A Lust for Life

Leader of the swtor clan mandalorian warriors if you are getting the game and you want a clan just send me a message

Kodiak

• Kelborn Mereel, Kodiak Darling
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Family events 15+ clan level invasions 40+ hrs Charity Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
Re: color meanings
« Reply #1 on: Jun 22, 2010, 10:39 PM »
By sheer coincidence, mine seems just about right  :D.

Peregrinus

• Ven'cuyi o'r ni'havlaam... >_>
« Reply #2 on: Jun 23, 2010, 02:06 AM »
Very old news, but it seems the prior threads enumerating these were lost to the server move. Can we get this stickied in the planning section this time round, please?

Along with the caveat that whilst these are traditionally associated meanings for these colours, many Mandalorians just paint their armour in the colour(s) they like, meanings be darned. ;)

--Jonah

MABEL #008

WIP "clearing house" posts:
Protector-themed v0.5 kit

Plus, guns:
Custom Westar-34
Merr-Sonn

Kodiak

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Family events 15+ clan level invasions 40+ hrs Charity Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #3 on: Jun 23, 2010, 02:25 AM »
We lost a lot of useful information in that server change. Is there an active push to get the tutorials reworked? half of the ones listed in the beginners thread are dead.

Dar'manda

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #4 on: Jun 23, 2010, 08:40 AM »
There is an active push, but there is no active work by the ones pushed....the members of the forum.

Ohl'd Vart

• The PoL Cat
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #5 on: Jun 23, 2010, 02:14 PM »
There is an active push, but there is no active work by the ones pushed....the members of the forum.

You can blame that damned Celebration 5...and, oh yeah...life.... ;)
Rob
(My tutorial is coming soon...I promise....)

Alorad of BVC (now House): 2007-2013
Alor of MMCC: 2013-2023
Counselor to Mandalore: 2024
Retired from MMCC: 02/10/24

"17 years...it was good, while it lasted."

Dar'manda

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #6 on: Jun 23, 2010, 02:16 PM »
It's ok Rob.  You weren't the only one approached. :D

Ohl'd Vart

• The PoL Cat
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #7 on: Jun 23, 2010, 02:59 PM »
It's ok Rob.  You weren't the only one approached. :D

I know you love me, bro.... ;) :D
Rob

Corvax

« Reply #8 on: Jun 23, 2010, 03:04 PM »
I still cannot find a valid citation for why blue means what it means.  It isn't in KT's article or any of the RC novels, or listed on Wookiepedia. 

- Founder and Supreme Leader of the "Legion Of Snarky Troopers", LOST. -
"If  you whine long enough, someone will eventually hear you. If you keep whining after you're heard, someone will eventually shoot you."

Peregrinus

« Reply #9 on: Jun 23, 2010, 09:18 PM »
I still cannot find a valid citation for why blue means what it means.  It isn't in KT's article or any of the RC novels, or listed on Wookiepedia.

Chapter heading, chapter five, Legacy of the Force: Revelation -- page 81 in the paperback edition. And it is on Wookieepedia. "Mandalorian Armor".

--Jonah

MABEL #008

Plus, guns:
Custom Westar-34
Merr-Sonn

Canderous Falco

• I'm the memer they call when things go wrong.
« Reply #10 on: Jun 23, 2010, 10:15 PM »
... isnt it also noted in True Colors? I think she uses the same chapter heading format, and I'm pretty sure it's mentioned in passing in at least one of the RC novels. I also recall that they only mentioned blue, green, red, black and grey in the one RC novel...

Though I HAVE been known to be wrong, lol... I was reading both series at once for a while, so it's possible that I got the Revelation citation mixed with the RC novel... I remember it being mentioned as a quote from a Coruscant based historian's notes on Mandalorian society, if that helps any. What about other colors? There's sure to be meaning for other ones, like purple or brown...

Beige- for the neutral Mando... ?

Kora

• Queen of the Winter Harvest
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #11 on: Jun 23, 2010, 10:43 PM »
This has really been discussed to death. There are no meanings beyond what is listed there, and most people just end up painting their armor whatever colors they like.

We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty.
- Mal, "Firefly"

Kora Solusar/Tiika Ruslin/Vaya Sinar Mendrosè

Kodiak

« Reply #12 on: Jun 23, 2010, 11:22 PM »
Beige- for the neutral Mando... ?

Tell my wife I said... hello.

It's interesting stuff to think about, but I agree, most just paint theirs whatever.

Corvax

« Reply #13 on: Jun 23, 2010, 11:29 PM »
Chapter heading, chapter five, Legacy of the Force: Revelation -- page 81 in the paperback edition. And it is on Wookieepedia. "Mandalorian Armor".

--Jonah

Ah that explains it, I read Revelation but do not currently own it to reread it. 

It is listed on Wookiepedia, but does not have the reference to that particular color, which was driving me batty.

"If  you whine long enough, someone will eventually hear you. If you keep whining after you're heard, someone will eventually shoot you."

Canderous Falco

• I'm the memer they call when things go wrong.
« Reply #14 on: Jun 24, 2010, 12:23 AM »
Glad to see I'm not the only one who watches Futurama and posts on the boards.

Armor colors are indeed like tattoos... they are all individual; people have them for different reasons- there being, perhaps, as many reasons as there are suits of Beskar'gam. We have guidelines, but people will paint as their own fancy leads them. Maybe Purple was a lost love's favorite color, or Salmon reminds the wearer of how the sun sets at a special place that they'll go back to when the job is done.

Or maybe there's a Mando out there brave enough to don pink in support of a crusade against breast cancer. :P

OriKad

• The Grizzled Old Sergeant of Mav Oya'la Clan
  • Awards Force Hunter Brigade Member Special Weapons 267th Rapid Assault Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Airmobile brigade member
« Reply #15 on: Jun 24, 2010, 10:01 AM »
It's kind of like flowers.  Each color and type of flower in an arrangement has a traditional meaning, but the majority of people just pick flowers and arrangements thereof because it's pretty.

Dar'manda

« Reply #16 on: Jun 24, 2010, 12:45 PM »
correct, just because there is a listing of what the colors mean to some folks doesn't mean it applies to everyone.  I didn't paint my kit with any reference to justice or reliablity...I just painted it because I liked the colors.

Peregrinus

« Reply #17 on: Jun 25, 2010, 12:34 AM »
But you are reliably judicious... ;)

--Jonah

MABEL #008

Plus, guns:
Custom Westar-34
Merr-Sonn

Corvax

« Reply #18 on: Jun 25, 2010, 03:35 PM »
I painted mine colors that I liked... but I can easily fit the meanings in. 

Baelin Halon

• United by the Creed
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 50 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #19 on: Jun 25, 2010, 03:57 PM »
It's kind of like flowers.  Each color and type of flower in an arrangement has a traditional meaning, but the majority of people just pick flowers and arrangements thereof because it's pretty.

A Mandalorian Bouquet. When you care enough to send the very best...

OriKad

• Awards Force Hunter Brigade Member Special Weapons 267th Rapid Assault Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Airmobile brigade member
« Reply #20 on: Jun 26, 2010, 09:02 AM »
A Mandalorian Bouquet. When you care enough to send the very best...

A Mandalorian bouquet... They sniff the flowers so their head's REAL close when your TD in the vase detonates. :)

Ohl'd Vart

• The PoL Cat
« Reply #21 on: Jun 28, 2010, 03:59 PM »
Mine's always splattered with the blood and guts of my bounties, so I really don't know what color my armor really is.... ;)
Rob

« Reply #22 on: Jun 28, 2010, 04:08 PM »
Mine's always splattered with the blood and guts of my bounties, so I really don't know what color my armor really is.... ;)
Rob

Rob, they call that senility now-a-days.

I picked white, copper, and black because they looked cool.. Most people I know pick colors for their looks, not meanings. Just as the books say Mandos did at times.

This member has been permanently removed from the club by Dar'manda for violation of the Mandalorian Mercs Codex.

Baelin Halon

• United by the Creed
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 50 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #23 on: Jun 29, 2010, 02:14 PM »
I went with red because my son told me to.

And if red is to honor the father, then let my armor honor the father I want to be for my children.

OriKad

« Reply #24 on: Jun 29, 2010, 02:18 PM »
I went with red because my son told me to.

And if red is to honor the father, then let my armor honor the father I want to be for my children.

Oya!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!