Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

GreatSkyRiver's leather goods projects(with pouch tutorial).

• 36 Replies

Thaxos

• Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
Re: GreatSkyRiver's leather goods projects(with pouch tutorial).
« Reply #30 on: Jul 21, 2011, 11:50 AM »
This tutorial would make an excellent addition to the MercsWiki Tutorials section, would you mind if I added it to the wiki?

The Rules and Guides board has everything you need to learn how to utilize the forums!

Does your signature look cut off? Here's why!
« Reply #31 on: Sep 18, 2011, 07:26 PM »
Great stuff!  That belt is totally cool, love the braids look.  The pouches also look really cool and could almost be used for Jedi pouches as well as Mando pouches.  And it's super cool that they are fully functional!  It's so nice to have a place to put things like money, phone, ID when you are at a con or other events.  Great tutorial on how to make them :) .

GreatSkyRiver Falco

• Haamyc ner nu'amyc
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #32 on: Oct 11, 2011, 01:03 AM »
finally added a belt to my kama.  made from two pieces of scrap belt hand dyed and with a tooled design and the ugly dug buckle.

close up;

buckle- its the type that has a peg on the underside and hooks into the hole on the ooposite end.

look close at the top and you can see a section along the edge where a slice is missing. it was like that from the scrap pile.

here you can see where i joined the two pieces together to make it long enough to fit me. first i glued them with leather glue and a reinforcing patch on the back then clamped to dry. I punched some holes and use a leather sewing awl to sew it up to help strengthen it up. then I used a #4 edge beveler and a v-groover to cut the design. it was originally veggie tanned so I gave it a couple of coats of coal black leather dye and used a metal burnishing tool to bevell the edges of the square design so it stands out more.

I put a snap on it to fold up the right corner to make it easier to wear a holster on my right thigh or let it hang down for no holster.

I'm still trying to decide if i should color the rivets black or leave them chrome.

OriKebiin'traYustapir
Victory, not vengence.
reality is a hologram created by our minds.
M.A.J.I.C # 008

seugtai

• 'ZOOG-tay'
  • nom nom...cookie
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Celebration Chicago Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #33 on: Oct 11, 2011, 07:30 AM »
Looks great! I really like the pieced together look, it gives the kama such character.

I'm still trying to decide if i should color the rivets black or leave them chrome.

Personally, I like them chrome. I've grown to like a mix of metals; I think it adds more realism then if everything is matchy matchy. ;)

Dresdon Acacin

• Do it right the first time or don't do it at all.
  • Awards Celebration Chicago 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #34 on: Oct 14, 2011, 10:51 AM »
as long as it looks like it belongs i guess it's fine.

Work while they sleep   Learn while they party   Save while they spend   Live like they dream

« Reply #35 on: Jan 30, 2021, 11:54 PM »
Wheres the pictures to show whats being done.

« Reply #36 on: Jan 31, 2021, 12:15 PM »
I'd say photo bucket killed them, after a decade it does tend to do that. You should probably look at more up to date tutorials to figure out how to make pouches and such.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!