Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

First Vest; From Scratch

• 20 Replies

Bare Col'Mera

• "BAH-reh"
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Re: First Vest; From Scratch
« Reply #15 on: Jun 28, 2010, 07:50 PM »
I have stared installing one set of eyelets, and here is a pic:

Bare Col'Mera

• "BAH-reh"
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #16 on: Jun 28, 2010, 10:06 PM »
It's been a day of tremendous progress.  I present my vest, as complete as it can be until I get my plates completed.  Yea!

I can adjust it as I need to with the leather cords.  I may trim them up a bit, but I'm in no hurry.  Once I have shoulder bells, I can hem and alter the shoulder flaps appropriately.  Well?

« Last Edit: Jun 29, 2010, 01:48 AM by Bare Col'Mera » Logged

Spanner Murraan

• the Big Stick
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #17 on: Jun 28, 2010, 10:24 PM »
Lookin a lot better

"what in the samhell is a Puma?"

No'saj Huune

• Nomad in Killeen/Ft. Hood
« Reply #18 on: Jun 28, 2010, 10:48 PM »

Good...Good....  ;D

Those who wander aren't always lost.

JJ or J'buir

• Murraan Mando Mamma
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #19 on: Jun 29, 2010, 08:46 AM »
good morning.  Looks like you have the fitting part under control.  Good job.  When you make your shoulder bells, place them on your vest, where you want them, while you are still wearing it.  have a buddy trace it on lightly with a pencil or the thin remains of a bar of soap (cheap shebs dress makers chalk, you can scrub it away later with a scrap of fabric.)  Next take off the vest and lay it out flat.  Measure and draw out a half inch around your traced lines.  This is your seam allowance.  cut on the second line getting rid of the excess fabric.  fold and press your hem under at your first lines and your flaps will be the exact outline of your shoulder bells.  for future reference im posting a link to threadbanger's  quickie shirt tailoring method.  Its called the pinch and pin method.  for mandos, after the "pinned" part, you could mark, with a pencil or dress makers chalk , the fabric up close to the body and take the pins out to be able to actually take off the vest.  Lay it down and cut away the excess fabric (with half inch seam allowance) and hem, insert velcro, hidden zippers, straps, buckles, grommets, etc....  

« Last Edit: Jun 29, 2010, 08:48 AM by Taglar Dreskk » Logged
Mamma kiss my boo boo.  How about I keldabe kiss your boo boo? Suck it up!
« Reply #20 on: Jun 29, 2010, 09:48 AM »
You always stand with yoru arms away from the body, but I see a problem coming nevertheless: with unhemmed shoulders, the seam swallows some of the exess fabric from the horizontal shoulder seam. It wont once you hem it. With the tightening of the body piece, you get a fold between collarbone and upperarm. Depending of the thickness of the fabric this could dimish the neat look of a proper plate arrangement.

This is why I attached the shoulder pieces so far, but if you sew the fold inside in the right spot and have a flightsuit to padd it a bit, it could work. But checking this area before you do all the hemming could safe you some trouble later.

This member has been permanently removed from the club by Dar'manda for violation of the Mandalorian Mercs Codex.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!