Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Removing Printed Labels From Gloves or Other Soft Parts

• 10 Replies

Bare Col'Mera

• "BAH-reh"
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Howdy,

I purchased a pair of mechanic's gloves at Dar'Kumn Vol's suggestion, and now I'm wondering how to remove the Printed brand names from them.  I'm sure if I took a razor to them, they could be scraped off simply enough, but does anyone have any other methods they could share?

Dar'manda

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions.
Re: Removing Printed Labels From Gloves or Other Soft Parts
« Reply #1 on: Jun 29, 2010, 04:33 PM »
A quick way can be using a black "paint marker" and running them over the printed sections.  That screenprinted stuff is kind of hard to get off.

Cando Pax

• Legacy
  • Awards Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 10 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #2 on: Jun 29, 2010, 04:33 PM »
You can actually paint over them. Don't use a gloss paint or it will chip away from the fabric. You can take a black magic marker to them and cover them up that way.

As for the hard plastic one, just take a thread remover and rip out the seems, it'll come off.

Allfather

• Reconciler
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Family events 15+ clan level invasions Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #3 on: Jun 29, 2010, 04:34 PM »
As silly as it sounds, a black sharpie is what I usually use to get rid of printed logos. Sometimes, the print is raised enough that doesn't work. But usually it covers them right up with a few coats.

If it is slightly raised, you can try using high temp hot glue to make a nice, flexible "armor" patch over it. I've also seen people use plasti-dip to do much the same thing.

"Remember, Private..Friendly Fire is not a nice warm place you and your hippy buddies sit around at night toasting marshmallows and singing Kumbaya." --Me to one of my troops way back when

Arden Fisk

• I R MANDO IRL
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Sistine Chest Plate - Official Member with most intricate paint job Open Seasons Death Watch Brigade MEmber Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #4 on: Jun 30, 2010, 07:08 PM »
Yep, another vote here for the black sharpie.  I've covered up lots of labels with that, and it's easy to throw on another coat if the label ever starts showing through again.  The ones that are sewn on can be easily cut right out with an exacto or a seam ripper.  :)

-Abby Lusk (MMCC Official Member #81)
Quartermaster for the MMCC 2009-May 2013
« Reply #5 on: Jun 30, 2010, 08:00 PM »
I have a pair of baseball batters gloves and Ive removed the sewn on label but on the painted/printed white label on the velcro strap and on the padded palm. I tried using acetone free nail polish remover but it started eating the material. I went over it with a plack sharpy...but it still shows through and gives a shinny brownish look. Ideas?

Aden Catra - The Rage of the Night Sky

Cyrus Rang

• Go ahead and run...Chasing you is fun!
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #6 on: Jun 30, 2010, 08:07 PM »
I havent done this but... how about ironing them off. It should heat the print up enough to remove it, thats why if you buy a screenprinted shirt they tell you not to iron the print.  :-\

Allfather

• Reconciler
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Family events 15+ clan level invasions Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #7 on: Jun 30, 2010, 10:25 PM »
If all else fails, grab a can of Duplicolor Vinyl and Fabric coating. Auto parts stores usually have it. This stuff is wonderful for coloring all sorts of stuff that paint won't work on. You may have to recoat every few months or so, but the black covers up just about anything. It also comes in a variety of colors to match most soft parts I have seen.

Only one that might not work is the red. I've used that on snake print vinyl and it showed the scale coloring through it. The black, blue, charcoal gray, and burgundy all cover completely. Sorry...those are the only other colors I have needed to try so far.

"Remember, Private..Friendly Fire is not a nice warm place you and your hippy buddies sit around at night toasting marshmallows and singing Kumbaya." --Me to one of my troops way back when

Chasbar Baar'atin

• Artillery/Heavy Weapons Spec
« Reply #8 on: Jul 22, 2010, 02:40 PM »
Heh...
              I kind of like the little "All Purpose" line near the ring and pinky knuckles... Pretty much sums up Mandos... ;D

Anyone who said brute strength didn't solve problems, obviously wasn't using enough of it.  Ca'nara cetar'narir, mando'ade, Oya!

Riv Serulius

• Yub Yub
  • Awards Celebration Chicago Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 25 official invasions. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #9 on: Jul 23, 2010, 09:13 AM »
The rubber pieces on the wrist can be sanded down with a Dremel.  That's what I did with mine.

Dresdon Acacin

• Do it right the first time or don't do it at all.
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a Celebration Chicago 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #10 on: Jul 24, 2010, 02:44 PM »
what about a little bottleof black acrylicpaiont,you can get them at walmart,but you will have to keepputting a new coat on every week or so

Work while they sleep   Learn while they party   Save while they spend   Live like they dream

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!