Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Dickies? Also, girly boots...

• 22 Replies

virusq

• Dha Ka'ra
Dickies? Also, girly boots...
« on: Jul 08, 2010, 11:43 AM »
I tried searching for a topic regarding Dickies and didn't see anything, so here goes:

When I was at Phoenix Comic Con, it was mentioned that most of the Mandos were wearing Dickies for their flight suits.  I assumed they meant they'd found matching work pants and long sleeved shirts, but now I realize that Dickies also makes jumpsuits.  Are jumpsuits the norm?  How many people get away with using the pants/shirt combo?  If you use the pants/shirt combo, is there a particular cut/style you prefer?  I was thinking about getting the DIckies work pants with the extra pocket, but I'm pretty sure the extra pocket will be obscured by my thigh armor.  I was also considering the Dickies jeans, but I'm afraid they'll be too recognizable as jeans.  Maybe I should go with the double-knees?  Also, as far as I can tell, all of the Dickies long sleeved shirts have cuffs on the end.  Are these generally obscured by gloves/vambraces, or do you cut the cuffs off?

The next question I have revolves around my boots:  I'm 5'1", so I wanted boots with a bit of a heel.  (Short Mandalorians just lose something in the intimidation arena.)  I realize stiletto heels are against the rules (and look really stupid), but what about something like these:

Dar'manda

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions.
Re: Dickies? Also, girly boots...
« Reply #1 on: Jul 08, 2010, 12:35 PM »
Jumpsuits/flightsuits are the usual norm, yes...mainly because they come off the canon sources of Boba and Jango as what they wear underneath.  2 piece outfits can be used, and have been used.

As for the boots...not sure if I can make the call on those.  They look good, but the recommendation for boots is normally combat boots.  Might have to check with Novall and the folks on the application team as to if these would be considered.  Main reason is to give the impression that we are warriors/hunters of the galaxy...and in such you'd want to have practical footwear.

virusq

• Dha Ka'ra
« Reply #2 on: Jul 08, 2010, 12:56 PM »
I have a pair of combat boots that I wear on occasion, but they make me all of 5'3", which is why I was looking for something with a bit more of a heel.  I was eyeing these up specifically because they didn't look too showy, in my opinion, and because the front panel looked a bit like leather greaves.  (To me, anyway.)

Dar'manda

• Official Membership revoked, see signature.
« Reply #3 on: Jul 08, 2010, 01:31 PM »
i think heals are allowed as long as they're not stilettos

This member has been permanently removed from the club by Dar'manda for violations of the Mandalorian Mercs By-Laws.

Allfather

• Reconciler
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Family events 15+ clan level invasions Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #4 on: Jul 08, 2010, 01:34 PM »
You could always try the monster boots like I have seen some people wear. Think they come from goth shops like Hot Topic and others and have a super thick and chunky sole.

Personally, I love the boots you asked about. They have a very cool and lightly armored appearance with the front flap. If they came in that style with a 1 or 2 inch heal, I would probably grab a pair for my Jedi gear and go back to the black boots.

"Remember, Private..Friendly Fire is not a nice warm place you and your hippy buddies sit around at night toasting marshmallows and singing Kumbaya." --Me to one of my troops way back when

Spanner Murraan

• the Big Stick
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #5 on: Jul 08, 2010, 02:14 PM »
Well, JJ is just shy of 5' and wears standard Doc Martens, which make her like 5' and a half..  Nothing wrong with it.

But I think those boots would be very impractical for trooping.  You would be hurting bad after a very short time in them.

"what in the samhell is a Puma?"

GreatSkyRiver Falco

• Haamyc ner nu'amyc
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #6 on: Jul 08, 2010, 02:19 PM »
I use a two piece Law Pro BDU's as my undersuit. just dont get an insulated one if its from dickies :P

nothing wrong with a short mando! (I'm 5'5)

OriKebiin'traYustapir
Victory, not vengence.
reality is a hologram created by our minds.
M.A.J.I.C # 008

OriKad

• The Grizzled Old Sergeant of Mav Oya'la Clan
  • Awards Force Hunter Brigade Member Special Weapons 267th Rapid Assault Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Airmobile brigade member
« Reply #7 on: Jul 08, 2010, 02:27 PM »
It's the short ones you have to worry about.  Short Mandos never had size and bulk to intimidate those reckless glory-seeking barves... nope, the short ones had to kick their shebs every time.  Every single time some shabla aruetii came knocking on the door hoping he'd be going home able to say "I beat a Mando" the short ones actually have to engage.

Be proud of your 5'1" self.  You've got the exact height disparity to bring all your force to bear in a kidney or sternum shot.  Heels will just hurt your feet and make you off balance.

Kora

• Queen of the Winter Harvest
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #8 on: Jul 08, 2010, 03:42 PM »
From the guidelines: High heels/stiletto female boots are not acceptable mandalorian armor attire. Platform boots are acceptable.

I'm one of those people who cringes even at platform boots though, so I'm probably not the best person to ask. XD

We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty.
- Mal, "Firefly"

Kora Solusar/Tiika Ruslin/Vaya Sinar Mendrosè

Corvax

« Reply #9 on: Jul 08, 2010, 06:26 PM »
I see high heels and I think "eye candy" and not fighting gear.

And remember Kal Skirata is a shorty.

- Founder and Supreme Leader of the "Legion Of Snarky Troopers", LOST. -
"If  you whine long enough, someone will eventually hear you. If you keep whining after you're heard, someone will eventually shoot you."

virusq

• Dha Ka'ra
« Reply #10 on: Jul 08, 2010, 07:47 PM »
Actually, come to think of it, isn't most everyone in the Star Wars universe on the short side?  I mean, Leia Organa's only 5'1, and Mara Jade's only 5'4...  Um.  Anyway.

I was going to wear my pair of Doc Marten's, but I'm pretty sure they're cursed.  I've had them for over five years and they've never fit my feet properly.  I figured if I was committed to that much pain for the sake of shoes, then maybe trying a heel wouldn't be too much more of a sacrifice.

The contemplation may be all for not, however.  Those particular Bare Traps only come in women's 7 and 8s, and my feet seem to be extra partial to 7 1/2s.  Soooo... I may be back to the drawing board by the weekend.

I went looking for Dickies, this afternoon.  I noticed a lot of the women's Dickies have little fancy pockets on the rear, which would be completely OOC for the outfit.  I think I'm stuck looking for men's pants, at this point.  I'm starting to lean toward Tactical Pants on ebay, but I'm afraid that I'm paying for utility pockets that are rendered obsolete due to my leg armor.  :X

Kora

• Queen of the Winter Harvest
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #11 on: Jul 08, 2010, 07:48 PM »
I just use dress pants and a collared shirt from the thrift store. Lot cheaper than Dickies.

We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty.
- Mal, "Firefly"

Kora Solusar/Tiika Ruslin/Vaya Sinar Mendrosè

GreatSkyRiver Falco

• Haamyc ner nu'amyc
« Reply #12 on: Jul 08, 2010, 07:52 PM »
you can take pockets off, I did.

OriKebiin'traYustapir
Victory, not vengence.
M.A.J.I.C # 008

virusq

• Dha Ka'ra
« Reply #13 on: Jul 08, 2010, 07:54 PM »
Ooh, you know, I was thinking about taking the pockets off, but then I was thinking there would be some kind of discoloration from doing that ... but that shouldn't be a problem if they're new pants...  Hmmm.

GreatSkyRiver Falco

• Haamyc ner nu'amyc
« Reply #14 on: Jul 08, 2010, 08:00 PM »
now your thinkin! although, if they are pre-stressed, there might be some discoloration.

dont go crazy, if its the backside of the pants, then have a kama added to your kit! ;) or just remove the "flaps" if its an inside pocket( the pouch is inside the pants rather than sewn on the outside like cargo pockets).

OriKebiin'traYustapir
Victory, not vengence.
M.A.J.I.C # 008

Tassone Phoenix

• Proud Dune Sea Mando
  • Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Beastmaster Brigade Member Award for 50 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #15 on: Jul 09, 2010, 01:10 AM »
I wear a Dickies brand long sleeve shirt and matching pants. I didn't remove the cuffs on the shirt because I wear gloves and wraps (and will eventually have gaunts) so you don't notice the cuffs. I didn't remove any of the pockets because with the vest and sash belt you don't see any of them. I have seen a ton of dickies at various thrift stores through out the Phoenix area. Also those K-Momo type store usually sell new Dickies at a decent price and in all colors.

I am short (5'2") and don't mind people saying "aren't you a little short to be a Mando" . I just laugh because I was always told "it's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog".  Not sure if it is true, but I like to think being short means I am closer to the ground so I have better balance.

Tassone Phoenix aka Victoria 

Shonare Vhekadla Clan

Mandalorian Mercs Costume Club: #0333

M5: Mandalorian Mercs Mighty Mini Mando #3

My Mando WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=19027.0

My Mando's Beast Hunter Thread: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=70601.0

Verdika's thread: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=51095.0

Thornar Vexxuel

• Creeping Death
« Reply #16 on: Jul 14, 2010, 12:56 AM »
ok you need to think military and law enforcement. each have their own type of clothing that would be a correct fit for this venue. the US CALVARY store has tons of stuff and in women's sizes. try Galls. I know 5.11 makes a lot of clothing for female law enforcement officers. you can fins something that will work and be cut for a woman and fit you right. dont give up looking. as far as boots there are a ton of flat type boots Look for motocross boots these are very comfortable and you can find them for cheap if you look.

Also there are plenty of military boots and police boots you can get in women's sizes as well.

Stand by and guard my soul, for i will die for yours!

Ver'ta Mdej

• Artillery is a lullaby
« Reply #17 on: Jul 14, 2010, 01:19 AM »
I and a few others have made 2-piece "suits", that are tailored to fit (I'm a weird shape and I hate buying pants, that's why I did it).

There are big advantages for 2-piece undersuits for ladies. I am sure I don't need to spell it out  :D

As for boots, I'm 5'6" ish and I wear platform boots. They balance out my width. If I get narrower, I'll probably change to a combat boot of some kind.

Tracyaat cuyi buycika laar.

Hey, it's okay to be late to the party .. if you are the only one who leaves.

If I were a D&D character, I'd be Lawful Good. Yeah, I'm not much fun.

virusq

• Dha Ka'ra
« Reply #18 on: Jul 14, 2010, 03:21 PM »
There are big advantages for 2-piece undersuits for ladies. I am sure I don't need to spell it out  :D

Yessss...  Hence why I'm trying to avoid one-piece flightsuits. :X

I ended up purchasing a pair of Wrangler canvas slacks and a Wrangler dress shirt from Walmart.  I think they'll do the trick after I remove the pockets.

The boots arrived in the mail and fit in a way that I've never expected from high-heeled boots.  I'm going to have to wear them around a bit before I decide to continue on to combat boots, I think.  :3

I also purchased a ton of heavy-duty fabric snaps from Joann's, so the only thing keeping me from putting all this together is JB Weld Putty, at this point.

Ooooh... And a helmet.  Does anyone know of any place in Phoenix or Las Vegas sells 2-piece Jango Fett helmets?  I asked the folks at Party City and they threw a royal fit regarding ordering individual costume pieces.  

« Last Edit: Jul 14, 2010, 03:34 PM by virusq » Logged

Tassone Phoenix

• Proud Dune Sea Mando
  • Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Beastmaster Brigade Member Award for 50 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #19 on: Jul 14, 2010, 03:30 PM »
I know you didn't ask about J-B Weld but I have seen that stuff at auto parts stores like Napa, Checkers, and Auto Zone. I have also seen that stuff at Walmart.

As far as the Rubies 2 piece, I have never seen it at at store in the Phoenix area. I tried Bert Easley's costume shop and back in the day I looked in Party City. So I bought mine from the internet.

Shonare Vhekadla Clan

My Mando's Beast Hunter Thread: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=70601.0

virusq

• Dha Ka'ra
« Reply #20 on: Jul 14, 2010, 03:37 PM »
I keep meaning to drop by Easley's on my way home from work, but it's difficult to get in and out of at rush hour.  LOL  Maybe I'll drop by this week.

I found the rubies 2-piece online for $25.99 or some such, but they wanted $8 in shipping, so I was hoping that if I had to spend the $34+, I could just pick one up locally...

I found regular JB Weld epoxy at Walmart, but the snaps tutorial that I was going by recommended the putty, which I haven't seen.  I'm pretty sure I'll have to scope out a few auto shops for it.

Corvax

« Reply #21 on: Jul 14, 2010, 05:40 PM »
Actually $35ish is about what you would pay on a good day online.  They have gone up in price in the past 2 years.

- Founder and Supreme Leader of the "Legion Of Snarky Troopers", LOST. -
"If  you whine long enough, someone will eventually hear you. If you keep whining after you're heard, someone will eventually shoot you."

Tassone Phoenix

• Proud Dune Sea Mando
« Reply #22 on: Jul 14, 2010, 06:41 PM »
I keep meaning to drop by Easley's on my way home from work, but it's difficult to get in and out of at rush hour.  LOL  Maybe I'll drop by this week.

Yeah that place is hard to reach during rush hour. When I do go, I go on Saturday's in the afternoon. You can always call them instead of heading to the store. It would suck to drive there and they don't have it. Just calling and asking would  be easier. You can google Bert Easley's Fun Shop to get a phone number and see their online page.

Shonare Vhekadla Clan

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!