Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

craft ring install

• 13 Replies

Ter'ell Tritain

• Awards Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
craft ring install
« on: Jul 10, 2010, 01:39 PM »
ok so i got the craft ring for my rubies 1pc. but i have some question since the link for this in the tutorial section doesn't work.

1. when i cut the ring, should i just cut in half or cut it at the ears for the helmet

2. should i use hot glue or something ells to glue it in.

Bazii Malric - And when the enemy sees the heavy weapons mando...

"Kark me!  Is that guy carrying a turbolaser off a star destroyer?"
"Yes.  Yes, I do believe he is.  Stang, uh, take cover!!"

Ohl'd Vart

• The PoL Cat
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: craft ring install
« Reply #1 on: Jul 11, 2010, 01:53 PM »
I cut mine in half at first, test fit it, then you may have to trim the ends back a little more to keep it off the ears....I used hot glue and clamps for all of mine.... ;)

Rob

Judicial Incident Report Form (for anyone to report an issue): https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?action=form;n=34
"Let's never forget that we're here to have fun in this hobby, first and foremost; none of this spaceman suit stuff is real, and it means very little to the outside world. Never take yourself too seriously playing dress-up, because no one else does...it's all about perspective." - Ol'Varticus

Dar'manda

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #2 on: Jul 12, 2010, 09:07 AM »
I cut mine at the ears....so that they had somewhere to wedge into.  But the difference between mine and Ohl'd's is that mine was a preformed helmet and was using it to "stretch" the helmet while Ohl'd's helmet is scratchbuilt and used to "hold shape" for the back.

I bent mine just slightly more wider than the helmet opening, wedged it in, then hot glued it down.

Jazz

« Reply #3 on: Jul 16, 2010, 07:16 AM »
im gonna be on this part really soon. I know you put this inside so that your face fits inside right but can you also use this to kinda make the helmet "fit" better like phyically/cosmetic wise. Idk why but when i put the rubies 2 piece on, it feels too big on me and when my bro who is almost the same like me, looks way better on him than me,not sure why.

So when putting the craft ring inside should i kinda bend the helmet in a way to look thinner/less wide or no cause it will cause it to warp?

Also on my jango 2 piece, when putting the pieces together should i glue them better or what cause the way its set up already just feels cheap like it will fall apart unless its secured better.

please give me your advice on this matter,thanks.

Dar'manda

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #4 on: Jul 16, 2010, 08:26 AM »
The Mandalorian helmet is supposed to flare out from your face and seem larger than your head.  Look at images of Boba Fett.  I wouldn't recommend using it to "thin" the helmet.  It's not supposed to hug your face.

Ohl'd Vart

• The PoL Cat
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #5 on: Jul 16, 2010, 11:30 AM »
Tag's right...it's "bell" shaped. Also, that craft ring doesn't have much power for plastic/shape control at that point, at least not in a scratch build helmet...by the time the ring goes in, the shape of the bell is pretty much set in stone.... ;)
Rob

Judicial Incident Report Form (for anyone to report an issue): https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?action=form;n=34
"Let's never forget that we're here to have fun in this hobby, first and foremost; none of this spaceman suit stuff is real, and it means very little to the outside world. Never take yourself too seriously playing dress-up, because no one else does...it's all about perspective." - Ol'Varticus

Jazz

« Reply #6 on: Jul 16, 2010, 11:45 PM »
ok so i got a craft ring, so basically just do exactly what Ohl'd did in the picture which looks like he cut the ring in half, put it on the backside of the helmet and hot glued it around.

So basically the craft ring does ?

a) hold the back part of the helmet to protect it

b) hold you head better in place? If not, where can i learn to hold my face better in place so it doesnt wabble around

thanks guys

Ter'ell Tritain

• Awards Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #7 on: Jul 17, 2010, 03:43 AM »
b) hold you head better in place? If not, where can i learn to hold my face better in place so it doesnt wabble around

thats why you add padding. if place the padding in the right spots you will be able to get the front of your bucket away from your face a little bit and it won't wobble around.

and i have went a head and installed my craft ring in my bucket. i will post pics later in my bucket wip thread.

Bazii Malric - And when the enemy sees the heavy weapons mando...

"Kark me!  Is that guy carrying a turbolaser off a star destroyer?"
"Yes.  Yes, I do believe he is.  Stang, uh, take cover!!"

Ohl'd Vart

• The PoL Cat
« Reply #8 on: Jul 19, 2010, 12:58 PM »
The craft ring is there for structural support for the bell of the helmet.  ;)

Add thick padding to the front of the inside of the helmet (forehead), and thinner padding in the rear, and it will keep the T-visor off of your nose.  ;)
Rob

Jazz

« Reply #9 on: Jul 19, 2010, 03:34 PM »
on my two piece jango i know im supposed to put the ring on the back of the inside of the helmet but how can i since the two piece isnt a flat surface on the inside like the pictures above but there is a rectangle bump on the back so i cant really flatten the ring so should i cut the ring in two pieces and skip over the rectangle or am i supposed to cut that rectangle piece out in order to flatten that back part of the helmet and put the ring in.

thanks guys, hope im making sense  :P

if someone with a two piece or anyone who knows im talking about let me know what to do. Also i assembled my helmet the correct way but the top of the helmet is a little loose like i can see if seperating but it doesnt come close to falling apart since the sides are so tight. Should i hot glue the top or not even mess with it?

Dar'manda

« Reply #10 on: Jul 19, 2010, 04:33 PM »
I've never installed a craft ring in a 2pc helmet as it's always had close to the correct shape.  Plus with it having a seam down the middle I would worry that the craft ring would expand the seam and crack the helmet in half.

The craft ring was only really a necessity in the 1 piece Jango Rubies helmets to stretch them out.  They can be used in scratchbuilds, but only as support, not to stretch or shape the helmet.

I don't think you'll get much use out of a craft ring in a 2 pc helmet.

After putting the 2 pc together you need to glue it together.  I would recommend using small strips of plastic and gluing them across the seam on the inside with goop, jb weld, 2 part plastic epoxy, or some other industrial bonding agent.  When it's glued up and cured, then you're going to need to use some bondo filler to fill the gap in where the seam goes together on the outside.

Jazz

« Reply #11 on: Jul 19, 2010, 05:21 PM »
rofl i assumed i needed the 2 piece but after getting the two piece i realized i was wrong lol. Well thanks for telling me about it, i only wasted about 3$ on it, so no biggie.

and thanks alot Taglar, i will get to work on that soon. The helmet was pretty well when its put together just for that one piece on the top,

« Reply #12 on: Jul 19, 2010, 09:59 PM »
I cut mine in half at first, test fit it, then you may have to trim the ends back a little more to keep it off the ears....I used hot glue and clamps for all of mine.... ;)

I don't want to do any hijacking of this thread but OMG Rob, You've opened my eyes at easier helmet building. I've built both mine and my bf's helmets from scratch using this same method but I hadn't even considered using craft rings in the back. I hadn't thought of doing multiple pieces either.. with the back piece being one, then wrapping the front around that so you just gotta glue the ear cap piece down. OMG. xD I got through so much trouble with just fitting the front and back together... or just doing the right side and left side and connecting them together. I'm blown away at how much simpler this is!!!! Thank you so much for a bit of insight on better helmet building! I'll probably be doing craft rings from now on with future builds and using this WAY BETTER method! I already want to start on another bucket now! Lol.

Mine looks so much messier in the build process xD but I get a similar end product. Here's tom's helmet. =D
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=17607.0   I had to tape it together at the ears, it was sooo difficult. I almost quit several times on his. And mine has this weird point almost in the back because I did a left right connector thing. OMG I'm block away at how easier this is xD

« Last Edit: Jul 20, 2010, 10:13 AM by Taglar Dreskk » Logged
I don't wanna change the world... I just want to leave it Colder.

Ohl'd Vart

• The PoL Cat
« Reply #13 on: Jul 20, 2010, 09:33 PM »
No problem, Jen...glad I could help!  ;) And Tom's bucket looks pretty sweet!

Making the bottom of the helmet one piece, then wrapping it around and connecting at the back, is a whole lot easier to manage, and also adds to the integrity of the bucket. Adding the craft ring just gives it that much more strength.  ;)

This is the kind of "hands-on learning" stuff that's in my tutorial...as soon as I get through re-writing it for the forum!  :)
Rob

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!