Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Vegetarian [non-leather] boots

• 10 Replies
Vegetarian [non-leather] boots
« on: Jul 13, 2010, 07:28 PM »
Hey,
I'm a vegetarian and so I don't use leather products. This is making it hard to get boots for my Mando. I'm not very picky about what I want, but he is a Rebel Alliance affiliate, so probably something similar to the Rebel pilots or troops. But no matter what, black is best. Vinyl, canvas, rubber, I don't care, but not leather. And as usual, combat-style boots are probably best. Any ideas?

Corvax

Re: Vegetarian [non-leather] boots
« Reply #1 on: Jul 13, 2010, 07:53 PM »
Well Rebel pilot boots and Rebel Fleet trooper boots are leather riding boots.  Endor style Commandos use a kind of canvas hiking boot.  That could work if you use a Boba style spat to cover up the laces. 

Personally I have a pair of fleece lined boots that are high top height and close with a back zipper.  I got those back in '05 at a Sears on clearance. 

- Founder and Supreme Leader of the "Legion Of Snarky Troopers", LOST. -
"If  you whine long enough, someone will eventually hear you. If you keep whining after you're heard, someone will eventually shoot you."

Kora

• Queen of the Winter Harvest
  • Awards Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #2 on: Jul 13, 2010, 08:14 PM »
On one hand, I'd almost suggest some of the cheaper costume boots as those aren't real leather. On the other, I know how quickly those can fall apart and not be comfortable. So it's probably best to avoid those.

I'd say either go some sort of synthetic leather boot or canvas. Maybe, if you can't find a full boot, find some shoes and make spats out of fabric/vinyl (I've been told this is how the scout trooper "boots" actually work).

We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty.
- Mal, "Firefly"

Kora Solusar/Tiika Ruslin/Vaya Sinar MendrosŤ

Peregrinus

• Ven'cuyi o'r ni'havlaam... >_>
« Reply #3 on: Jul 13, 2010, 09:49 PM »
Yup. Those were the same canvas hiking boots used for the Rebel Endor Commandos Corvax mentioned above, with white marine vinyl formed and glued over the toe, arch, and made into the barrel and closed with velcro.

--Jonah

MABEL #008

WIP "clearing house" posts:
Protector-themed v0.5 kit

Plus, guns:
Custom Westar-34
Merr-Sonn

lonewolf1183

• THE Executioner
  • Awards 267th Rapid Assault Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #4 on: Jul 14, 2010, 11:06 AM »
The pleather jedi or 'generic star wars/ jedi/ pirate/ superhero' boots are a good choice.  They're tall and in a few colors.  For costuming purposes, I'd say they'll last you about a year depending on use, longer if you don't get a chance to haul the suit out often like me.  And they're pretty reasonable, always available and at about 45-50 bucks.

THE Mandalorian Executioner
Dum spiramus tuebimur
Member #299

OriKad

• The Grizzled Old Sergeant of Mav Oya'la Clan
  • Awards Force Hunter Brigade Member Special Weapons 267th Rapid Assault Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Airmobile brigade member
« Reply #5 on: Jul 14, 2010, 12:36 PM »
If you don't end up with a good enough alternative to leather (In material properties/availability), feel free to PM me about it.  I have a couple "debate points" that could help you square leather away with your conscience, but public threads here aren't the place for debating personal choices or morality or any subject of that sort.

I got a pair of polyurethane boots that lasted me around 30 miles walking the dog through a Pittsburgh winter so far, with almost no noticeable wear, so it IS possible to find leather-alternative boots.  Another good suggestion is a pair of canvas hi-tops covered by spats, like Kora said.

« Reply #6 on: Jul 14, 2010, 01:11 PM »
I'd really look at these:

http://www.asmc.de/en/Footwear/Boots/Canvas-commando-boots-p.html

Good boots, similar to the TCW syle Deathwatch, $16-$19 currently (after conversion via XE).  The price changed after I registered with them online, and I got a free catalog out of it. You have to do it to order, so not sure. But either price, cheap.

The shipping is where it kills ya, it's literally more than the boots cost! Almost double it, actually! XD For me in Michigan, it was about $35.25.... So, We'll say $20 total item, $35.25 shipping.. $55.25 and you get a nice, sturdy, strong boot that IS non-leather. I can't read german perfectly, but the online catalog seems to imply it's 100% canvas.

For sizing help: http://continentalimport.com/sizechart.html

Hope that helps mate!

This member has been permanently removed from the club by Dar'manda for violation of the Mandalorian Mercs Codex.
« Reply #7 on: Jul 17, 2010, 04:07 PM »
Whoa man. That shipping is insane. I was kind of thinking either cannibalizing a slip-on sneaker with wraps and shinguards and foot plates, or just attaching a shinguard to the front of my vinyl Luke ROTJ boots. What do you think...too tall?

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #8 on: Jul 17, 2010, 04:33 PM »
There is no such thing as too tall when it comes to Swarz boots :P. I wear a pair of cheapo costume boots that stop just shy of my knees, so your Luke boots should be just fine. I definitely advise shin armor, as you mentioned. Tall boots with no armor look kind of out of place on mando kits.

QMU 72| M.A.B.E.L. 77| Cabur Akaata 144

Chasbar Baar'atin

• Artillery/Heavy Weapons Spec
« Reply #9 on: Jul 22, 2010, 10:30 AM »
Another way to go...
                                          Is look at a pair of Walmart style Rubber boots, they've got plenty of sizes, their not entirely uncomfortable, plates could be attached direct since its a purpose specific boot, and its a win win all around... ;)

Anyone who said brute strength didn't solve problems, obviously wasn't using enough of it.  Ca'nara cetar'narir, mando'ade, Oya!
« Reply #10 on: Jul 22, 2010, 10:36 AM »
You could also try Rural king they have a rain/work boot that is rubber and it can be trimmed to fit and cost around $13.50. That's what i chose to use but you will need to rub the brand stamp of with alcohol and a rag. They are seamless and no string too.

Rules to live by
1. Do what ever it takes to get the jog done!
2. It's better to ask for forgiveness then for permission!
3. when all else fails use explosives!
4. Intelligence, quick thinking and the ability to react are your best weapons.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!