Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

How do you cover your neck?

• 22 Replies

Drago Seron

• Butcher of Endor
  • Awards Special Operations Brigade Member Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
How do you cover your neck?
« on: Jul 17, 2010, 03:18 AM »
 I'm just trying to get some options besides a neck seal. What other ways have you (fellow Mercs) covered your necks with your gear on?

DragoSeron3copy by Doc Kruzer, on Flickr

Horsemen-WAR

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
Re: How do you cover your neck?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 17, 2010, 03:32 AM »
I've seen a few use scarves of a sort, armored collars (some of them literally dog collars with armor tacked on), as well as balaclavas. There's also the hood-thingy-thing Hydra used on her Umi kit, and the high-collared capelet inspired by her Lizean kit that I used on my old green and gold armor. The collar on my capelet was high enough, and loose enough, that it just about covered my chin, and was overlapped by the helmet when I wore it.

QMU 72| M.A.B.E.L. 77| Cabur Akaata 144

Kora

• Queen of the Winter Harvest
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #2 on: Jul 17, 2010, 03:36 AM »
Turtle neck (use 'em to make a mock neck seal), scarf, balaclava are my preferences.

We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty.
- Mal, "Firefly"

Kora Solusar/Tiika Ruslin/Vaya Sinar Mendrosè

Drago Seron

• Butcher of Endor
  • Awards Special Operations Brigade Member Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #3 on: Jul 17, 2010, 04:26 AM »
 Any pics to show off? My tailor left me in a lurch and I need something quick and easy (and no sewing skills if possible) to finish my kit by September.

Horsemen-WAR

TheMandoMan

• MMCC #0001
« Reply #4 on: Jul 17, 2010, 04:43 AM »
Like Kora said, turtle neck.  Just go to a thrift store and get a black turtle neck shirt and cut off the neck part leaving about 6 inches all the way around to tuck into your vest.  Cheap, easy, and works great.

"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later." -Mitch Hedberg

Drago Seron

• Butcher of Endor
« Reply #5 on: Jul 17, 2010, 06:24 AM »
 Well I'm looking for any sort of ideas. The more options I have, the better this thing will look.

Horsemen-WAR
« Reply #6 on: Jul 17, 2010, 10:42 AM »
Drago, I should have my neckseal made this week. If I do, i'll show you. If you like it, wife said she can od it gratis, just let us know the color. We picked up a ton of random bits last night at a clearance at jo-ann's!

I personally prefer neckseals above all else. They just look best, imho.

This member has been permanently removed from the club by Dar'manda for violation of the Mandalorian Mercs Codex.

Kantis Nolef

• Awards Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #7 on: Jul 17, 2010, 11:42 AM »
For my desert armor I use a neck gaiter, which is pretty much what Raltho Valmas suggested with the turtleneck. For my new set I'm going to use one of Aden's armored collars.

I think I might be related to Scorch, or maybe Fi.
How do you say "-censored-" in Mando'a?

Drago Seron

• Butcher of Endor
« Reply #8 on: Jul 17, 2010, 01:54 PM »
I'll take you up on that offer Ijaat.

Horsemen-WAR

Kora

• Queen of the Winter Harvest
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #9 on: Jul 17, 2010, 02:33 PM »
I personally prefer neckseals above all else. They just look best, imho.

Ironically, I've never been able to really tell (unless somebody has an oddly long neck). :P

We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty.
- Mal, "Firefly"

Kora Solusar/Tiika Ruslin/Vaya Sinar Mendrosè
« Reply #10 on: Jul 17, 2010, 03:39 PM »
Ironically, I've never been able to really tell (unless somebody has an oddly long neck). :P

It all depends on the helmet and hwo you see them.. 8/10 times I didn't notice at events.. But when I did, the difference was significant aesthetically speaking.

This member has been permanently removed from the club by Dar'manda for violation of the Mandalorian Mercs Codex.

Cando Pax

• Legacy
  • Awards Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 10 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #11 on: Jul 17, 2010, 03:45 PM »
Dar and I made out's by cutting off the sleeves to a t-shirt of his, it was one of those under armor shirt, real stretching.

Hondo Karr

• Awards Team Player - 1 of 2 Official Members who are best Matching Pair Award for 25 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #12 on: Jul 17, 2010, 04:16 PM »
Step 1: Properly sized helmet. If the helmet is properly sized, little neck is even visable. This takes care of most issues on most people.

Step 2: I use an armored collar.

That's it for me, with those two things I have no need to add the discomfort of a neck seal or balaclava.

Also, although we almost always recommend people use a neckseal of some type, Jango didn't and he looked just fine.

« Reply #13 on: Jul 17, 2010, 09:03 PM »
Also, be shorter than other con-goers. The visible neck and chin issue is more of a problem when people look up to you, so to speak. You can also do quite a bit with small modifications to your flightsuit collar. That's my plan. If I need more coverage after my bucket is complete, I'll deal with it at that time.

« Reply #14 on: Jul 18, 2010, 03:06 AM »
Chin-plates and long hair:

Advantage: stays on even when I take off the helmet and the fixings keep my hair in order and could hold a microphone as well

Disadvantage: noisy. I have to put a leather backing on the lower one, too.

Drago Seron

• Butcher of Endor
« Reply #15 on: Jul 18, 2010, 01:04 PM »
 A'den-mostly looking for something that will cover the neck for when I take the bucket off.

Tomoe-I'm bald so the hair idea is a bust for me. It would have worked when I was younger though.

Horsemen-WAR
« Reply #16 on: Oct 06, 2010, 01:38 PM »
I am using a black balaclava. Picked up a brand new one at a local army surplus store for only $8.

OriKad

• The Grizzled Old Sergeant of Mav Oya'la Clan
  • Awards Force Hunter Brigade Member Special Weapons 267th Rapid Assault Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Airmobile brigade member
« Reply #17 on: Oct 06, 2010, 04:06 PM »
My vest and flightsuit have tall mandarin collars. My V2 flightsuit (Rebel pilot style) covers my neck, and I made a flightsuit for a vod that has a 4" tall in the back and 2" in the front stiff collar.

« Reply #18 on: Oct 06, 2010, 05:13 PM »
I am using a black balaclava. Picked up a brand new one at a local army surplus store for only $8.

You can mod one of these so it doesnt go all up over your head and half your face, since you're likely going to be sweating buckets anyway.

Unless you're going snow mando, and plan on hanging out in actual snow... in which case  you'd prefer the full balaclava.

Gabrin Kinoda

• House Manager, Ohld Vart's So. Beach LadyBoy Revue
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #19 on: Oct 06, 2010, 05:27 PM »
Paintball neck protector. A lot of them have brand logos on the front, so I just wear it inside out.

------------

Council Advisor, 2007-2012

OriKad

• The Grizzled Old Sergeant of Mav Oya'la Clan
  • Awards Force Hunter Brigade Member Special Weapons 267th Rapid Assault Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Airmobile brigade member
« Reply #20 on: Oct 06, 2010, 06:30 PM »
Unless you're going snow mando, and plan on hanging out in actual snow... in which case  you'd prefer the full balaclava.

After trying to get some action shots in the middle of last winter's snowpocalypse... you wouldn't need that unless you suddenly transplanted up north from the deep south (south enough to have no idea what snow is from firsthand experience).  The slogging through snow builds up body heat.  That was actually when I took the pic that's now my avatar.  I was just as sweat-drenched as I was from midsummer troops.

« Reply #21 on: Oct 06, 2010, 06:58 PM »
the deep south (south enough to have no idea what snow is from firsthand experience). 

Oya Buurenaar Verda Clan!  ;)

Drago Seron

• Butcher of Endor
« Reply #22 on: Oct 06, 2010, 07:35 PM »

I was able to get a neck seal made.

Horsemen-WAR

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!