Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Softs Sahi's NeckSeal Tutorial! =D

• 0 Replies
Sahi's NeckSeal Tutorial! =D
« on: Jul 28, 2010, 03:17 AM »
Okay so I've been making bulk neckseals for Naast clan and I thought I would give a step by step on how I make them. They are simple, comfy and take no more than 30 minutes to finish!

First you're going to want to find your material of choice. I usually prefer a soft duck cloth cotton or whatever you feel matches your vest/set best! Then get a nice filler material, I like it to be a thick polyester fluff that you can always find on sale at JoAnns and other such craft stores.

Next measure the circumference of your neck then add on a few inches of overlapping for the velcro or closure method of your choice. Make sure you measure height too, you don't wanna be making a NeckSeal for a Kaminoite (Kaminoian? Lol)  Double this measurement and add about 2inches because you're going to wrap the material over the filler and close up the bottom. Measure and cut out a rectangle of the filler to fit the length and height of your measurements..

Lay out the filler material on your measured and cut fabric.

Fold the material over the filler to close to the NeckSeal. Make sure that you have your filler covered from top to bottom with a little excess at the bottom.

Pin the fabric down in rows to make sure the filler doesn't fall out and your fabric doesn't move around a lot.

Sew a line at the natural closure at the top to again stabilize the fabric and filler.

Move it down a little ( about an inch usually ) and sew another line, continuing this process stop when you get about a line or two away from the bottom, which ever you're comfortable with.

Then you'll want to fold the edges in on each other and pinning the two sides together. 

Finish by sewing a seam line to close it up all the way.

Sew on your closures ( I use velcro 99% of the time on NeckSeals but I have seen snaps before too.) On the edges, remember to put them on the corresponding sides so it closes properly. When it's done it should stand up nicely. =)

If you're wanting a skirt around the bottom to tuck into your vest, I will also post how I add them on. You can either add it on when the NeckSeal is finished Or you can add it in there in the closer seam step. I will show how to do both in my next post of updating this. I hope this helps those out there that are wanting a quick and easy NeckSeal. You can also do this by hand if you don't have a sewing machine but it will take much longer. If you have any questions feel free to post them here or PM me.
-Sahirate

« Last Edit: Jan 21, 2018, 03:48 PM by Hik'aari Kelborn » Logged
I don't wanna change the world... I just want to leave it Colder.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!