Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

How to make a double-sleeve jumpsuit, the easy way. Or, Slade does a tutorial.

• 7 Replies

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
I had to make a new jumpsuit anyway, so I figured I may as well put it up here in a sort of tutorial format.

Step one is to procure a set of coveralls.

I picked this one, a Craftsman mechanics coverall, up at Sears for around $20, on sale. The next step can be finished in a couple of ways. Easiest would be to find a coverall made by the same company, in the same color, with long sleeves. There were none in a matching color, so I headed out to Joann Fabrics. Unfortunately, I was unable to find a matching fabric, so I trekked back to Sears and picked up a second coverall, this one in the largest available size (xxl). This way, I made sure I had excess material.

Using a dress shirt sleeve as a pattern, I traced out the long sleeves on the legs of the spare coverall.

You want to make sure that you give yourself 1/4 to 1/2 an inch of extra space for seams. Using the legs of the coverall, as I did, lets you save yourself from having to sew one seam, at least.

After you have your sleeves, it's time to sew the seams ;D.

As you can see, I'm sewing by hand, as usual, so the seams aren't exactly perfect, but they do the job. Using the legs of the coveralls, as I did, lets you save yourself from sewing a cuff and the top seam of the sleeve, as shown in the above picture. You want to make sure that you sew right to the edge, overlapping the existing seam on the cuff, to ensure that it does not unravel.

At this point, it's always a good idea to pull the sleeve on, to make sure it's going to fit properly. That done, it's time to move on to sewing it onto the flight suit.

Here, you flip the coverall inside out, and find the seam where the short sleeve is connected to the torso of the coverall. With Craftsman coveralls, the sleeves are attached with a double seam. By sewing the end of the sleeve in between the two seams, you create a new seam that will not be visible once the sleeve is pulled back in.

If you managed to find a long-sleeved matching coverall, this last step would be the same, just sewing the detached long sleeves on, in place of the fabricated sleeves.

Again, it never hurts to check the fit again. If it proves right, repeat with the other sleeve. The color isn't a perfect match, but it's close as can be. After a few wearings and a wash or two, it should match up just fine.

The spare coverall can now be used for other purposes, such as making straps for plates that match the flight suit, or making matching neck seals, etcetera.

Questions, comments, critiques, concerns? Feel free to speak your mind ;D.

QMU 72| M.A.B.E.L. 77| Cabur Akaata 144

Cpt. Rhiis Mok'tau

• "Wann es nicht gefaellt - Mach neu"
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
Great tutorial!

"Well, I'm really a mercenary by trade. You could just call pirating a hobby of mine." -Rhiis

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
Thanks :). I've been hell bent on finding a matching short-sleeve and long-sleeve coverall, then finally decided to just buckle down and do the extra work.

This is also a good idea for those who can sew... There are many patterns out there for pajama pant tops and bottoms. Take the leg, alter it for a longer sleeve, adjust fit slightly.. Double sleeved, two piece flight suit! Or scrubs.. Etc..

Darker colors will match better, like a black, darker blue, a red, etc.. Lighter colors tend to be prone to variation more often.

This member has been permanently removed from the club by Dar'manda for violation of the Mandalorian Mercs Codex.
I am REALLY glad I found this!

I was just thinking about how one does the dual sleeve thing the other day...

A simple, yet effective concept and tutorial.
Thanks!

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
Yep, Ijaat has the right of it. You can do this with scrubs and general sewing patterns, and darker colors are indeed generally easier to match than lighter. As I said, I'm going to have to give this a good washing  and weathering to make the sleeves match up better.

Thanks!

You're welcome ;D. I figure, if it helps even one person, it was worth the effort of posting.

No'saj Huune

• Nomad in Killeen/Ft. Hood
This is what I'm doing for my 10yr olds kit, thanks for posting this Kel.  Now my wife understands what I was trying to explain to her  ;D

Those who wander aren't always lost.

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
Heheh, pictures always make explanations easier ;). Glad to be of service.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!