Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

looking for boots

• 15 Replies

Ter'ell Tritain

• Awards Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
looking for boots
« on: Aug 01, 2010, 01:40 AM »
so were is the best place to get boots. ive looked at stores around my area and can manly find dark brown. im looking for black. the black boots i have found are close to $100 and even have the brand logo stamped on the leather somewhere.

Bazii Malric - And when the enemy sees the heavy weapons mando...

"Kark me!  Is that guy carrying a turbolaser off a star destroyer?"
"Yes.  Yes, I do believe he is.  Stang, uh, take cover!!"

Ajax Kaal

• Forward, always forward!
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Re: looking for boots
« Reply #1 on: Aug 01, 2010, 11:09 AM »
There are a lot of online places to choose from like:

Ebay
Zappos
use military surplus as a search string and you can look through those places
if you put in " black boots " as a search string, you will find a million hits, you will just have to search through them...

Find a local military surplus place, Payless shoes has boots for like $30-$50 in black at least they used to, I've bought several pairs of black boots from them over the years; your local Wal-Mart will have boots, if there are any motorcycle stores around, they will have boots, if you want cheap, you can go to your local thrift stores like Goodwill, Savers, Salvation Army, etc. However, if you buy from a place like that, the boots will be broken in to the people that wore them first and you will probably have a devil of a time with them fitting right, but they are the cheapest you will find. Usually less than $10...

Big thing to meet CRL's is that if they have laces, they have to be covered...

Good luck.

Ajax Kaal
Member #414
Forward, always forward!

Ter'ell Tritain

« Reply #2 on: Aug 01, 2010, 02:15 PM »
that's the thing, i don't want laces. i can find black boots all day long that have laces. sorry that i didn't mention that to start off with.

Kora

• Queen of the Winter Harvest
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #3 on: Aug 01, 2010, 02:30 PM »
Try looking for pirate/renaissance/medieval type sites that sell costuming. Sometimes those have men's plain leather boots if that's what you're looking for.

Or you can always make/buy spats to cover the laces.

We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty.
- Mal, "Firefly"

Kora Solusar/Tiika Ruslin/Vaya Sinar Mendrosè

Ter'ell Tritain

« Reply #4 on: Aug 01, 2010, 02:51 PM »
well im planing on having boot armor, so i was going to glue the plate to the boot.

OriKad

• The Grizzled Old Sergeant of Mav Oya'la Clan
  • Awards Force Hunter Brigade Member Special Weapons 267th Rapid Assault Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Airmobile brigade member
« Reply #5 on: Aug 01, 2010, 03:17 PM »
You don't want to do that, vod.  The plate will come off because boots flex and plates don't.  I learned this the hard way on my first troop.  Now my boot plates are attached to a spat.  Your plate and boot need to be able to move separately, otherwise either A: the plate will pop off, or B: you'll walk funny.

Ajax Kaal

• Forward, always forward!
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #6 on: Aug 01, 2010, 05:22 PM »
Very true, all it takes to cover the laces is a pair of boot plates and/or shins or a simple pair of spats....

I made velcro tactical straps to attach to my shins and boot plates and they wrap around to the back of my legs and hold it tight to my leg. Or, like OriKad said, physically attach the plates to the spats....

No worries on not mentioning laces, just trying to give you some ideas. :-)

Yep, the online Renfest / Medieval places are also good.

Ajax Kaal
Member #414
Forward, always forward!

Ter'ell Tritain

« Reply #7 on: Aug 01, 2010, 06:02 PM »
ok. thanks for the advise. :)

Gabrin Kinoda

• House Manager, Ohld Vart's So. Beach LadyBoy Revue
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #8 on: Aug 02, 2010, 02:50 PM »
I know a few people that have also used motorcycle/motocross boots. Of course, you'll have to do some mods to them so that they don't scream, "HI, I'M A MOTOCROSS BOOT!"   ;D

I guess we ladies have it easy--not too many womens' boots have laces.  ;)

------------

Council Advisor, 2007-2012
« Reply #9 on: Aug 02, 2010, 03:27 PM »
I recently got these.

I am also going to attach the shin armor to the boots.  Which I seee no problem in.  They zip up the back while not great the will be fine.  I have a black flightsuit so the zipper will not be visible.  I have no plans to use the boots for anything else so not a big deal for me.  Hope this is another good alternative for you!

http://cgi.ebay.com/CAPTAIN-KIRK-STAR-WARS-STAR-TREK-ROLL-PLAY-COSTUME-BOOT-/160455161351?cmd=ViewItem&pt=US_Men_s_Shoes&var=&hash=item6b1a8add78

Tor K'lumph

• ni oyacyir tor de kad
« Reply #10 on: Aug 12, 2010, 08:51 AM »
Ya I have found WW2 German boots for really cheap at army surplus stores for really cheap. They are tall(about mid calf) they are all leather and they don't have laces. And if you can't find those get "cowboy" boots. They are nice and all leather also but usually lower.

Ter'ell Tritain

« Reply #11 on: Aug 12, 2010, 01:11 PM »
well im trying to avoid cowboy boot because i want more of a rounded toe. the cowboy boots have more of a pointed toe.

Tor K'lumph

• ni oyacyir tor de kad
« Reply #12 on: Aug 12, 2010, 02:06 PM »
No not all of them. Mine are tall and the front is rounded and not pointed. If there is a boot store go there and talk to sombody I got awsome boots for pretty cheap.

Tor K'lumph

• ni oyacyir tor de kad
« Reply #13 on: Aug 13, 2010, 04:12 PM »
I don't know if I'm to late to post this but here's a pic of my boots.
IMG_0074.JPG
 . They are cowboy workboots and they have rounded toes and are pretty tall. They don't have all the decorational stuff like most cowboy boots so they are nice. I don't know if the pic will work. 

« Last Edit: Aug 13, 2010, 04:14 PM by VodTor » Logged

Allfather

• Reconciler
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Family events 15+ clan level invasions Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #14 on: Aug 13, 2010, 04:47 PM »
I use moto cross boots on my kit. The armor plates have been riveted to the front of the boot after removing the rubber "armor" that comes on most of them.

As said earlier, all cowbow boots are not pointed toe. I have some square toe ones I found in an old locker where I used to work. And many of the guys here at work wear the round toe "cowboy" boots with the safety toe.

Search "jack boots", "engineer boots", and even "costume boots" to get a great selection. I have a pair of steel toe engineer boots that would be great for a Mando if I didn't already have the moto cross ones. Real leather will cost more and be more comfortable. Vinyl will be cheaper and (usually...I have a great pair that feel like house shoes for my Jedi) be a bit less comfortable (not to mention less durable.

Oh...don't glue the plates to the boot, though. Glues on leather/vinyl have a nasty habit of giving up on you at the worst possible moment. I would recommend pop rivets. Them little buggers ain't comin loose without a power drill   ;).

"Remember, Private..Friendly Fire is not a nice warm place you and your hippy buddies sit around at night toasting marshmallows and singing Kumbaya." --Me to one of my troops way back when

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!