Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

RC-ish looking backpack (ysalamir support pack)

• 34 Replies

Johan Kordav

• i just realized, im madalorian i dont need to care
RC-ish looking backpack (ysalamir support pack)
« on: Aug 31, 2010, 04:24 PM »

i was originally gonna make this a jet pack but the Tag turned it upside down and and gave me the wonderful idea to turn it into a backpack, Kraam also told me about the ysalamiri and im going to make it into a pack to contain and support one. will have more pics soon.

« Last Edit: Aug 31, 2010, 08:31 PM by Johan Kordav » Logged
i shall follow mandalore in to battle and should he fall i will take his blaster his bucket and his name and fight on.

Dar'manda

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions.
Re: RC-ish looking backpack
« Reply #1 on: Aug 31, 2010, 04:34 PM »
I freaking want one now to work on. :D  While it's not "spot on"...it's definitely got the look of an RC backpack when the handle is facing down.

Johan...what model vaccuum was that?  Does it say on any of the panels?

Johan Kordav

« Reply #2 on: Aug 31, 2010, 05:04 PM »
ok i did some research and it looks like a Sears Kenmore Magicord canister vacuum cleaner the model number is 116.26941, or atleast thats what it looks like. i believe its from the 70s, i'd kno more if Kraam didnt wipe everything off the front

i shall follow mandalore in to battle and should he fall i will take his blaster his bucket and his name and fight on.

Dar'manda

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #3 on: Aug 31, 2010, 05:38 PM »
Thanks!

lightning667

« Reply #4 on: Aug 31, 2010, 06:34 PM »
looks to me like a vacum compartment thingy, good luck with it, i cant wait to see it completed  :)

Johan Kordav

« Reply #5 on: Aug 31, 2010, 06:39 PM »
i need to get a dremel tool before i can do too much more work

lightning667

« Reply #6 on: Aug 31, 2010, 06:51 PM »
what do u plan on cutting out from it ? in my unprofessional opinion (lol) id say to just add some stuff to it and not cut anything out of it, but yea, what kind of direction are going with the backpack ?

ohh and if u wanna find a dremel, hit up your local flea market or your neighborhood garage sales, virtual gold mines.  ;D

Johan Kordav

« Reply #7 on: Aug 31, 2010, 07:01 PM »

this is what im looking at doing, its mostly gonna be used and a life support system for a ysalimir, i dont need or really plan to cut out anything else from the body, i just need it to chop up parts to put on

Hagen Nor'ak

• More then credits
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 25 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: RC-ish looking backpack (ysalamir support pack)
« Reply #8 on: Sep 01, 2010, 05:54 AM »
If my memory serves me correct, all that was needed for the ysalimir was a branch from one of the type of trees they hang out on. Somehing about thats how they got the nutriants they needed to survive off of. So they were just thrown into a bag with said tree branch if I remember the books and comic correctly. That being said, the base you got there would bad shebs for any type of pack you want to make out of it. Was a really nice find there.

Have a good one,
Hagen

« Reply #9 on: Sep 01, 2010, 12:30 PM »
It was a tree branch hooked up to a sort of life support system. My suggestion would be some fish tank tubing hooked into the pack and a fake piece of wood. Not sure about the ysalimiri though. Not much cannon art of them I don't think.

Founder of M.A.N.T.A
Mandalorians Against Ninja Theme Armor

Vode Bartika

• Jedi do not concern me......
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #10 on: Sep 01, 2010, 12:37 PM »
It was a tree branch hooked up to a sort of life support system. My suggestion would be some fish tank tubing hooked into the pack and a fake piece of wood. Not sure about the ysalimiri though. Not much cannon art of them I don't think.

Actually I found quite a bit of mages when I googled them.  Some from toys, and some from comics.  Canon enough I think.  There was even one with Thrawn as an action figure with the pack in the package.

Frost K'Amon

• We will bury them!
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #11 on: Sep 01, 2010, 12:59 PM »
Are you gona have a Yslamiri poking it's head out?

Spanner Murraan

• the Big Stick
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #12 on: Sep 01, 2010, 01:04 PM »
Some Sandblasted grapevine would work excellently as a substitute for Olbio wood.  it is very strong, and light, and can be found at any good pet store in the reptile section.

I also plan on making an Ysalamir to carry with me, maybe using some puppetry to make his head move or his eyes blink.

I cant wait to see how this turns out.

"what in the samhell is a Puma?"

Frost K'Amon

• We will bury them!
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #13 on: Sep 01, 2010, 03:40 PM »
Yeah. Always confused me when I was younger, reading the Heir books and looking at the comic and being like "How can Thrawn be holding a yslamiri like a pet? you can't hold them without a backpack I thought..." Was a long time till I figured out it was just continuity errors.

Spanner, I might suggest rooting the Yslamiri to some kind of treebranch or something that you've hollowed out, and put mechanical clamps onto and stuff. I never thought it made sense that it took for ever to figure out how to transplant the yslamiri onto a mechanical frame when one could literally just cut off a square of tree and cyborg it.

« Reply #14 on: Sep 01, 2010, 05:44 PM »
Very true, you actually can't remove them from the branch if memory serves me correct, their claws grow into it or something like that.

Founder of M.A.N.T.A
Mandalorians Against Ninja Theme Armor

Spanner Murraan

• the Big Stick
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #15 on: Sep 01, 2010, 06:20 PM »
The Wookieepedia article on them says this:
Ysalamiri sank their claws into the Olbio trees on which they lived and drew nutrients. It was very difficult to remove a ysalamir from its tree without killing it, although Talon Karrde's smugglers found a way, enabling Grand Admiral Thrawn to do it as well.

I take a lot of Creative license when writing the character of Agro (Spanner's pet Ysalamir, based on my Bearded Dragon of the same name).  Since I view any fan fiction (such as our character back stories and RP's) as parallel universes, like The Ultimate Marvel universe or the new Trek universe,  I feel that it allows me to add some depth to subjects i feel are lacking.  I have been keeping and breeding various reptiles for 20 years now, so I like to add a lot of touches from species I have observed into the character.  And - I wont lie to you - I also modify it to suit the needs of the story.

There is so litte written about them, and what there is is fairly inconsistant.  For instance, Thawn's didnt have any back legs, and the Wildlife of Star Wars: A field Guide clearly shows one around someones neck as a pet, but other sources show them with 4 legs, and say they cant leave the trees.  So I kinda combined the two with my hypothosis, that they need the trees to survive, and getting them off the tree can kill them, but they can detach and move freely if they chose to.

Anyhow, I think that tank will make a very cool pack, Johan, and I can't wait to see what you do with it.

« Last Edit: Sep 01, 2010, 06:36 PM by Spanner Murraan » Logged

Johan Kordav

« Reply #16 on: Sep 02, 2010, 12:49 AM »

i was planning on put a small (4 to 5 inches) lizard toy on a branch in this part of the pack, i was thinking it would be like a sort of cage for it, and the rest of the top would be various nobs and what not devoted to keeping it alive while the bottom would have a hose going to my gauntlet for a flame thrower.

some pictures i found of them:

the wookieepedia page about them says they're 50 cm (about 20 inches) on average and put out a bubble up to 10 meters in radius (about 33 feet), so i figured one about 4 to 5 inches long would put out a bubble of about 6 to 8 feet in radius, keeping me safe from any jedi.

« Last Edit: Sep 02, 2010, 02:12 AM by Johan Kordav » Logged

Spanner Murraan

• the Big Stick
« Reply #17 on: Sep 02, 2010, 07:27 AM »
It appears to have some conflicting info on the Wookieepedia page:

The first sentence under the Anatomy Section of the Wookieepedia page has them at 90-120 centimeters (3-4 feet, or about the size of the average iguana or Savanah Monitor), and infact, The Wildlife of Star Wars: A Field Guide confirms this longer length.

Johan Kordav

« Reply #18 on: Sep 02, 2010, 04:13 PM »
It appears to have some conflicting info on the Wookieepedia page:

The first sentence under the Anatomy Section of the Wookieepedia page has them at 90-120 centimeters (3-4 feet, or about the size of the average iguana or Savanah Monitor), and infact, The Wildlife of Star Wars: A Field Guide confirms this longer length.

thats what it says the grow up to, if you look to the right of that under the picture it says their average length is 0.5 meters

« Reply #19 on: Sep 02, 2010, 05:50 PM »
I miss the times when there weren't any pictures of the little creatures.  I had always imagined them as more koala-esque creatures with a sad sort of ugly cuteness.  We used to use those clingy little koala backpacks at con to represent ysalamiri....we also used to throw koala plushies at jedi at cons to "take away their powers".  Before the pictures everyone "got" the joke.  One girl even yelled out "But I was using the force to hold my bladder!", crossed her legs and scurried off to the bathroom wailing comicly.

-Shiv-

"There is always more money to be made as an independent contractor"   - Boba Fett Motivator Poster

Thaxos

• Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #20 on: Dec 06, 2010, 04:50 PM »
Hey, any new progress? I've actually started work on one for myself too, didn't know anyone else was working on these, other than my fellow clan member Thorfastr for his son.

Johan Kordav

« Reply #21 on: Dec 06, 2010, 10:15 PM »
certain space ship repairts have put me behind a bit, unfortunately

Thaxos

• Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #22 on: Dec 06, 2010, 10:22 PM »
certain space ship repairts have put me behind a bit, unfortunately
Bummer, I look forward to seeing further progress.

Johan Kordav

« Reply #23 on: Dec 06, 2010, 10:32 PM »
Bummer, I look forward to seeing further progress.

thank you, i do too, do you have a WIP up for yours?

Thaxos

« Reply #24 on: Dec 06, 2010, 10:52 PM »
thank you, i do too, do you have a WIP up for yours?

Haha not yet, too lazy!  ;)

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!