Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Cape Design

• 18 Replies
Cape Design
« on: Sep 13, 2010, 07:26 PM »
My kit is mainly black and white and I wanted to put a white cape on it.  However I got to thinking that a white cape was kind of boring so I thought putting a large black Mythosaur skull on the cape would be really cool.  Then I thought it about it some more and realized I'm not sure the best way to actually accomplish this.
I have a few ideas:
1) Spray paint the logo onto the cloth (which is white muslin incidentally) but I'm a bit worried that would end up making the cloth rigid and generally not end well.
2) Cut out large black mythosaur skull from some of my black cloth laying around and sew it on.  Only problem is I'm not that good at cutting out cloth or sewing...

Also I am a terrible artist so I was wondering the best way to blow up the image and print it out so I could cut it out and use it as a stencil...
Anyone do this before? If so how? and please help!

Gage Aldan

• The world can be changed by one person.
Re: Cape Design
« Reply #1 on: Sep 13, 2010, 07:30 PM »
the only thing i could suggest is the trading post. there are a ton of people on there who are amazing at sewing. other than tht see if you can find a website tht makes custom patches and sew tht on. but good luck on the kit vod. hope it turns out good.

It's not about the money, it's about sending a message.
« Reply #2 on: Sep 14, 2010, 12:25 PM »
Step1: Get a VECTOR IMAGE of a mythosaur skull.
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/File:JaingHead.svg

Step2: Take it to a print shop, have it printed as huge as you wish (vector makes this possible). Any print shop worth a pile of bantha doodoo is going to know exactly what to do with the flash drive you have the image on. or if you want to just direct them to the link to download it themselves... either way.

Step3: make it a stencil (cut out the inside parts, leave the outside parts intact, reinforce the edges with masking tape if you want

Step4: Get a home silk screening kit or some thick fabric paints, put the emblem on your cape

Step5: Hunt Jedi Scum

Edited to provide direct link to the .svg file you need

« Last Edit: Sep 14, 2010, 12:37 PM by DorkLogic » Logged

OriKad

• The Grizzled Old Sergeant of Mav Oya'la Clan
  • Awards Force Hunter Brigade Member Special Weapons 267th Rapid Assault Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Airmobile brigade member
« Reply #3 on: Sep 14, 2010, 01:14 PM »
Here's how I did mine (It ended up about 3 feet tall on my cape):

Hang fabric on the wall.  Cut out a small mythosaur logo.  Hang small logo in front of a spotlight or flashlight so that its shadow is on the fabric on the wall.  Trace the shadow.

« Reply #4 on: Sep 15, 2010, 08:27 AM »
Thanks for the info guys. OriKad that is a simple and elegant solution I think I will try that :P

Kel Toi

• The Kilted Mando!
« Reply #5 on: Sep 15, 2010, 11:32 AM »
I dont know if this would work but , lying it flat and painting it with bleach ?

« Reply #6 on: Sep 15, 2010, 12:25 PM »
I dont know if this would work but , lying it flat and painting it with bleach ?

It'll wick out at the edges (expand beyond the originally intended dimensions)

It could look good but would be very difficult and require several attempts on practice cloth.

Kel Toi

• The Kilted Mando!
« Reply #7 on: Sep 15, 2010, 12:38 PM »
It'll wick out at the edges (expand beyond the originally intended dimensions)

It could look good but would be very difficult and require several attempts on practice cloth.

Just a thought  ;D

BobaFiend

• "Put Captain Cargo in the Solo Hold"
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Boba and Jango Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #8 on: Sep 15, 2010, 02:02 PM »
Stencil, stencil, stencil!!! Black paint will show up great on white fabric without making it stiff- just do light coats and let dry in between.  DEFINITELY your best solution

« Reply #9 on: Sep 15, 2010, 02:45 PM »
Stencil, stencil, stencil!!! Black paint will show up great on white fabric without making it stiff- just do light coats and let dry in between.  DEFINITELY your best solution

Yep. They even have ones intended specifically for use on Fabric, which will not bleed/wick/run out on you and won't make it rigid... Just get the stencil printed up on some thick stock (posterboard could work fine).

BobaFiend

• "Put Captain Cargo in the Solo Hold"
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Boba and Jango Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #10 on: Sep 15, 2010, 02:46 PM »
But whatever you do don't get the fabric spraypaint at michaels.  It's the worst $$$ I've ever spent on any of my hobbies... Does not work at all.  99 cent walmart paint works fine

Gage Aldan

« Reply #11 on: Sep 15, 2010, 03:07 PM »
But whatever you do don't get the fabric spraypaint at michaels.  It's the worst $$$ I've ever spent on any of my hobbies... Does not work at all.  99 cent walmart paint works fine

100 % true!!!! it stinks like poo doo. Do not use.

« Reply #12 on: Oct 11, 2010, 04:08 PM »
I actually had the same idea for a cape. My armor will be a black flight suit w/ blue armor. My cape will be a light gray w/ a darker gray (almost looks like a faded black) stripe. I've constructed a Mando Mythosaur / Bantha skull stencil out of card stock w/ an Xacto knife. Looks pretty good I think. I'll be taping it down to the fabris and will be giving it a light spraying of black spray paint. I'm going for a very weathered look with my cape / armor. So I want the logo to be somewhat "faded". I'll post pictures of mine soon.

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #13 on: Oct 11, 2010, 05:51 PM »
My erratically posting vod here actually did use OriKad's method, and to great effect...he just apparently hasn't posted
pictures of it.

QMU 72| M.A.B.E.L. 77| Cabur Akaata 144

Gage Aldan

« Reply #14 on: Oct 11, 2010, 08:44 PM »
My erratically posting vod here actually did use OriKad's method, and to great effect...he just apparently hasn't posted
pictures of it.

who me?

Arch

• Awards Award for 100 official invasions. Award for 75 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Celebration Orlando 2017 Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #15 on: Oct 11, 2010, 08:53 PM »
If you choose to paint it...

A well-made stencil (get out some card stock or posterboard and an X-acto knife) and some acrylic paint can do wonders. Make sure your stencil is right up against the fabric. Use a foam paint roller to apply the paint-- Make sure it's well soaked first.

If you do this method (or spray paint), be careful not to apply too much paint! It'll bleed up through the fabric under your stencil and make the art blotchy.

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #16 on: Oct 11, 2010, 10:05 PM »
who me?
No, the original poster, Andale. He's a local, sort of. He already added the skull to his cape.

QMU 72| M.A.B.E.L. 77| Cabur Akaata 144

Gage Aldan

« Reply #17 on: Oct 11, 2010, 10:12 PM »
oh. ok. lol.

btw i used a stencil with silver krylon spraypaint. used some clear coat, and washed it. its fine.

« Reply #18 on: Oct 13, 2010, 03:07 PM »
oh. ok. lol.

btw i used a stencil with silver krylon spraypaint. used some clear coat, and washed it. its fine.

Yeah, this should be fine. It doesn't have to stand up to many washings since it's a cape and wont come in direct contact with gross human residue much, if at all.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!