Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Flight Suit Bathroom Idea

• 24 Replies
Flight Suit Bathroom Idea
« on: Sep 15, 2010, 04:20 PM »
So when I heard about the Mercs at the PHX Comicon this summer, they talked about the problem of going to the bathroom in a flight suit. For all you girls, i'm afraid this idea obviously doesn't apply. If this has been discussed in another thread, sorry. But here is my idea to solve the problem.

Materials
 * A piece of cloth that is relatively the same color as your flight suit. It should be about 5 or 6 inches long, and about 5 inches wide.
 * A strip of Velcro (both complimentary sides so they can Velcro together)  the same length and as the above mentioned piece of cloth, with a 1- 1.5 inch width.

1. Cut a hole in the crotch of your flight suit, just to the right of the crotch seam preferably (to the right if you are wearing it, so to the left if you are looking at it).. The hole should be 1/4 or 1/2 of an inch shorter on the top and bottom than the piece of cloth that you have. It can be whatever width, just make sure your piece of cloth can cover the hole.

2. Sew the piece of cloth to cover the hole. The piece of cloth should start about an inch from the left side of the crotch seam (an inch from the right side of the seam, if you are looking at the vest). Sew the entire length on this side of the cloth, and sew about half an inch of the top and bottom of the cloth. The sews should look like this.

(Most definitely not to scale)

3. So far, your flap of cloth should be sewed onto the left side of the crotch seam, covering the crotch and the hole you cut, and going about 3-4 inches to the right of the hole. At this point, attach one side of the Velvro to the bottom of the strip of cloth on its far right side (opposite of the sewed side). Attach the other, complimentary strip of Velcro to the flight suit itself, right under the Velcro on the strip of cloth.

And you're done. When you have to go to the restroom, all you have to do is remove your cod piece, peel up the piece of cloth, and you're good. If there are any better systems for this, let me know before I use this one on my flight suit. Hope this helps!

« Last Edit: Sep 15, 2010, 04:33 PM by JDMcDermed » Logged
"Lightsabers can stop blaster bolts. Nothing can stop my slugs."

Dar'manda

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions.
Re: Flight Suit Bathroom Idea
« Reply #1 on: Sep 15, 2010, 04:42 PM »
If you buy the right flight suit...it should have a double zipper which allows you to use the restroom.  Saves the extra work. :D

« Reply #2 on: Sep 15, 2010, 04:44 PM »
But it's just not cool if you don't put extra useless work into it! :) haha. A lot of suits I've seen at surplus stores didn't have a second zipper, so maybe others wouldn't either.

stormtrooperguy

• Awards TCW and Rebels Canon Mandalorians Boba and Jango
« Reply #3 on: Sep 15, 2010, 05:10 PM »
I made my flights suits. On the Vizsla one, the seam is velcro rather than a zipper, and goes all the way down to the middle of the crotch. That way I can pop the cod piece off, open it up, do my business, then put myself back together easily.

I wish I had thought of that when I made Boba.

« Reply #4 on: Sep 15, 2010, 05:28 PM »
I've had these two giant rolls of Velcro laying around the house for about... 15 years now. So I've been trying to figure out every possible way to put them to use and finally get rid of them haha.

Ohl'd Vart

• The PoL Cat
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #5 on: Sep 15, 2010, 05:53 PM »
I use a Red Kap mechanics coverall suit...with NO provision for whizzing; this idea would work great for me.

No more embarrassing dark spots on the front of my suit........where I spilled my Diet Coke, of course.  ;D
Rob

Judicial Incident Report Form (for anyone to report an issue): https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?action=form;n=34
"Let's never forget that we're here to have fun in this hobby, first and foremost; none of this spaceman suit stuff is real, and it means very little to the outside world. Never take yourself too seriously playing dress-up, because no one else does...it's all about perspective." - Ol'Varticus
« Reply #6 on: Sep 15, 2010, 07:24 PM »
Darn that diet coke! haha. I'm sure you could pick up the materials at any craft store, since the cloth doesn't have to be the same type as the flight suit. If your cod piece completely covers it, you could just cut up a flannel T-shirt and use that, I suppose haha. 

Ohl'd Vart

• The PoL Cat
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #7 on: Sep 15, 2010, 09:51 PM »
Yeah...yours is a much better idea than the duct tape, rubber hose and plastic bag idea...and, less painful...but, we won't go there;D
Rob

Judicial Incident Report Form (for anyone to report an issue): https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?action=form;n=34
"Let's never forget that we're here to have fun in this hobby, first and foremost; none of this spaceman suit stuff is real, and it means very little to the outside world. Never take yourself too seriously playing dress-up, because no one else does...it's all about perspective." - Ol'Varticus
« Reply #8 on: Sep 15, 2010, 10:23 PM »
Haha yeah, I bet. Less heavy too  ;D

Lyat'aag

• Looking for my first "iron skin".
« Reply #9 on: Sep 16, 2010, 10:22 PM »
Now, I'm still new here, so maybe this idea has been tried and discarded for reasons I don't know about, but did you guys ever think about using the old school bum flap?

http://www.dkimages.com/discover/previews/974/25003772.JPG

I know it looks ridiculous and for me I'm strongly reminded of all kinds of looney toons antics with the vulnerable bum flap, but with a cod piece on, this shouldn't be too hard to hide, right?

The real advantage here is that it should allow you to do either #1 or #2 and that makes it also a unisex solution. Now sure it means that urinals are off limits to guys unless they happen to have the appropriate suit accessories, but this should make going to the rest room easier if there are any stalls available.

Another advantage: relatively easy modification. All you need is to cut a whole big enough... to get business done, then you just need to sew a slightly larger piece of fabric over the hole and add a few buttons/zippers (whichever you prefer). Presto.

Sound like a good idea to you guys?

Gage Aldan

• The world can be changed by one person.
« Reply #10 on: Sep 16, 2010, 10:26 PM »
if you buy an airforce grade flightsuit, then it should have a second zipper. just make sure tht u pick out the one tht says male! any army navy store should carry em .

It's not about the money, it's about sending a message.
« Reply #11 on: Sep 17, 2010, 02:07 AM »
Yeah, the long johns solution is also viable. I just put this up as a quick easy solution that's pretty easy to hide. And like I said, some flight suits I've seen don't have zippers on them. Some companies don't think actual human beings are going to wear their flight suits, I guess haha.

No'saj Huune

• Nomad in Killeen/Ft. Hood
« Reply #12 on: Sep 17, 2010, 03:09 AM »
I use Army mechanics coveralls, the kind with one huge zipper running from the crotch up to my neck and trying to go the restroom is a huge pain in the shebs.  The wife is putting in a second zipper tomorrow to help with that issue and seeing as how I use a lion cloth for my kit no need to add the extra cloth to cover it.  Velcro would've worked, but I can't stand the noise it makes LoL.

Those who wander aren't always lost.
« Reply #13 on: Sep 17, 2010, 03:21 AM »
Hah picky Mandos? Who would have known!  :P

Kel Toi

• The Kilted Mando!
« Reply #14 on: Sep 17, 2010, 03:52 AM »
My flightsuit is a ex-german airforce it has a double zip as vode said before and zips up from crotch , it also has a holster inside left  ;D the only problem comes is when you need a crap !

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!