Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Any Problems with this Vest?

• 11 Replies
Any Problems with this Vest?
« on: Sep 17, 2010, 03:24 PM »
So here is what I am planning on buying for my vest. I'll rivet or Velcro the body armor onto this, obviously. I'm going to cut off the shoulder clips that connect the front and back of the vest and replace it with velcro, which my shoulder plates will cover. I'm going to fabric-paint it black. Those two flaps above the shoulder blades on the back will be removed. I'm also going to make up some bullets to put in the shotgun shell bands at the bottom of the vest. Are there any problems you guys can foresee before I buy this vest?

"Lightsabers can stop blaster bolts. Nothing can stop my slugs."
Re: Any Problems with this Vest?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 17, 2010, 04:43 PM »
it's fine for a basis... but the CRLs state that it's going to have to have all of that velcro removed or hidden so it doesn't retain the overt TAC/FLACK look.

You can sew some duck cloth over it or put a lot of velcro on the back of the duck cloth and stick it to it, that would make it look a lot less Earth Milspec and more swarsy, and you will need to conceal the straps/buckles, and reinforcement snaps down at the bottom.

« Last Edit: Sep 17, 2010, 04:45 PM by DorkLogic » Logged

Jare Hasan

• Clan Murraan PR Officer
« Reply #2 on: Sep 17, 2010, 05:08 PM »
It would end up being cheaper to buy a Mando vest made to order.
Look in the trading station, there are lots of options.

There's always free cheese in a mousetrap.

Hondo Karr

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Team Player - 1 of 2 Official Members who are best Matching Pair Shock Infantry Brigade Member Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #3 on: Sep 17, 2010, 05:12 PM »
If  you're going to use a MOLLE vest, it's probably best to do some type of custom plate design or, do Legacy style style plates to hide the vest. Ive been using a MOLLE for years. However, Ive never used traditional Fett plates with it as the gaps give away what's underneath. Originally I had a custom design but have since switched to the Legacy style plates. The goal was to simply use the vest as a carrier to hold the plates together, no so much to be seen.

« Reply #4 on: Sep 17, 2010, 06:25 PM »
Jare-That vest is actually only 30 dollars, if I remember right. Maybe 35. So not too expensive at all. Plus if Zombie Apocalypse occurs, I just slap some real plates in there and I'm set! haha

A'den- I'm doing a crusader kit, so the plates will cover most of it. Here is the general position of the plates.

I may put a couple more curved plates that will be between the curved chest plates and the abs section, to further cover the vest up.

« Last Edit: Sep 17, 2010, 06:27 PM by Zur'ta Ordo » Logged
« Reply #5 on: Sep 18, 2010, 01:05 AM »
Unless you're going to fill the armor to where every piece butts against another, like Legacy armor, you are better and cheaper off commissioning one.

Costuming is not a cheap hobby, and the up front cheap alternatives often times will cost you a lot more in time, effort, and all together work for minimal savings.

This member has been permanently removed from the club by Dar'manda for violation of the Mandalorian Mercs Codex.
« Reply #6 on: Sep 18, 2010, 05:23 PM »
Hah yeah, i've already figured out how expensive it is. I spent 44 dollars at home depot the other day... And honestly can't tell you what the hell I bought. But you may be onto something with buying the vests from the forum. I'll go check it out and see if theres anything that works. Are there any particular vests that I should get for a crusader era kit?

Hondo Karr

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Team Player - 1 of 2 Official Members who are best Matching Pair Shock Infantry Brigade Member Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #7 on: Sep 18, 2010, 07:10 PM »
Actually, for a Crusader, a vest isnt even requried. It's optional. but for certain do NOT use a Fett style vest for a Crusader era Mando. you'd be better off using a harness system like Tomoe uses or using this MOLLE vest.

Tassone Phoenix

• Proud Dune Sea Mando
  • Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Beastmaster Brigade Member Award for 50 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #8 on: Sep 23, 2010, 01:41 AM »
The vest pictured looks exactly like the one I am currently using. I used the standard Fett plates, but there spacing and size covers the vest so not much is seen. My metal plates were sagging and my diamond was constantly moving so I needed to switch to the tactical vest. I cut off the drag handle and cut off part of the 2 straps that hang down. I also removed some of the extra loop/buckle things on the shoulders. I left the buckles alone because my collar piece covers it up so you don't see them. I also have a pauldron so now you really can't see my collar area. I sewed on more velcro to hold on my plates and I tucked in the bottom part of the stomach (where you said you would add shot shells) I use the velcro that is exposed. Hope that helps.

Tassone Phoenix aka Victoria 

Shonare Vhekadla Clan

Mandalorian Mercs Costume Club: #0333

M5: Mandalorian Mercs Mighty Mini Mando #3

My Mando WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=19027.0

My Mando's Beast Hunter Thread: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=70601.0

Verdika's thread: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=51095.0
« Reply #9 on: Sep 23, 2010, 07:39 PM »
Tassone- That actually helps a bunch. Could you post a picture of your vest? I changed my mind and plan on doing legacy armor anyways, so it will cover up most of it. But it would still help to see how you did it.

Tassone Phoenix

• Proud Dune Sea Mando
  • Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Beastmaster Brigade Member Award for 50 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #10 on: Sep 24, 2010, 02:03 AM »
Ok so I have pics for you. I hope they help. If you need better pics I can take new ones for you.

This pic shows the whole vest. All that remains on the shoulder straps are the buckles and a tiny part of the straps that are a part of those buckles. I cut the rest of those straps off. In fact I use those straps to attach my shouler pads (which I left off in the pics). The bottom of the vest shows that I tucked part of it inside so I can use the velcro that is already there to hold onto my plates. The vest contours well with my plates and my body when I wear it. I did sew a little more velcro on just to make sure my plates stick and don't move.

This pic shows the front half. The armor pretty much covers the whole vest. The collar piece has velcro on the back of it. I also added some velcro to the buckles so the collar sticks to them and covers them up. A bigger collar can do a better job of fully hiding the buckles. The bottom part of my collar piece touches the velcro that's already on the top part of the vest so it all holds in place. Like I said I use a pauldron so you actually don't see my collar area once I am fully suited

This is the back half of the vest. I cut off the drag handle and pretty much left it alone.  I did sew some black snaps on the straps at the bottom and the elastic thingy near the shoulder area. I have coordinating snaps on my backpack so all I have to do is pop it on and I am good to go. You can add more velcro to hold onto back armor if that is the route you are going. Or if you use a cape, you can just leave the back alone. It depends what type of back covering you are going for.

This pic shows it all on (sorry the pauldron covers it up). I should have taken new pics without it. Sorry I am just using pics I have taken in the past. Any way the vest, armor plates, shoulder bells, collar piece, and backpack are all attached and one big item. I basically slip it over my head and buckle up the sides.

This is what my end result looked like. I don't think you see the velcro or loops of the vest. Everything is hidden with the various pieces of the kit or removed in the beginning. I will say sewing velcro is a little tough trying to sew through certain thick areas. Plus sewing in the little space of that pocket that would normally hold military plates is also kind of a challenge. In the end the tactical vest is a great choice for me. It is adjustable, it is stiff yet flexible, and with a little work holds metal plates very well. I hope this vest can work for you too.

« Last Edit: Sep 24, 2010, 02:17 AM by Tassone Phoenix » Logged
Tassone Phoenix aka Victoria 

Shonare Vhekadla Clan

Mandalorian Mercs Costume Club: #0333

M5: Mandalorian Mercs Mighty Mini Mando #3

My Mando WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=19027.0

My Mando's Beast Hunter Thread: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=70601.0

Verdika's thread: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=51095.0

Hondo Karr

« Reply #11 on: Sep 24, 2010, 09:57 AM »
That's very similar to the vest I use. The key with it is to slightly oversize, narrow the gaps or overlap even, your plates to minimize or illiminate the visibility of the MOLLE vest under it.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!