Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Flak Vest(s) WIP

• 18 Replies

Zedrin Ho'dag

• Nothing's impossible; impossible just takes longer
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Celebration Chicago Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
Flak Vest(s) WIP
« on: Sep 30, 2010, 11:30 PM »
Well, I am working on my flak vest via Ohl'd Vart's tutorial (which can be found at http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=29330.msg411488#msg411488.  I found a perfect jacket at a thrift shop during a $3 bag sale and managed to find an almost complete flak vest for my ad'ika as well.  One discovery of mention from tonights adventure, is that hot glue can save you a TON of time if you have the right type of material!  I am hoping to post some pics once it's finished!

MMCC-0537 | M.A.J.I.C-047 | M.A-025 | M.A.D-004 | B.E.A.R.D.S.-028 | V.A.B.S.-004 | V.R.C.A.-069 | S.O.S.-013 | O.S.B.A.-000

Zedrin Ho'dag

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Celebration Chicago Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
Re: Flak Vest(s) WIP
« Reply #1 on: Oct 01, 2010, 12:12 AM »
OK, here is my last update for tonight.  I am about 85% complete.
Here is the front, I left the upper part of the sleeve for the shoulder plates...

And here is the back.  Please note that the two sides are pinned together as I was finalizing the sizing.  Also, the pocket slits will be covered by armor plates and won't be visible.  The zipper will be removed and replaced by a velcro closure:

Here is the same vest with a mock up of the plates attached.  The spacing may be a touch off, but I wanted to see what it would look and feel like with the plates attached.  A bit heavier than I thought as well as warmer, but all is good!  In this pic I noticed a bit of puckering at the bottom, but that will be covered by the ammo / girth belt....

And the last one with my WIP Buy'ce just because I felt the need since the plates were attached to the flak vest!   ;D

MMCC-0537 | M.A.J.I.C-047 | M.A-025 | M.A.D-004 | B.E.A.R.D.S.-028 | V.A.B.S.-004 | V.R.C.A.-069 | S.O.S.-013 | O.S.B.A.-000

ConDar Ward

• Al'jurir be Ori'ramikad
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #2 on: Oct 01, 2010, 12:36 AM »
Very interesting ....... good find with the Vest .  ;)

I look forward to seeing more ......

MMCC-#0059 /M.A.- 001 /M.A.D.- 067 /ALUMINATI -013
 Ni su'cuyi, gar kyr'adyc, ni partayli, gar darasuum - Remo Jadd - 0267

Biohazard

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #3 on: Oct 01, 2010, 07:06 PM »
The vest looks pretty good from what I can tell. I personally have never used that particular process, as I've always sewn my own from straight fabric, but it looks like it fits you pretty well.

I wouldn't worry too much about the puckering on the bottom of the vest. If you utilize a Girthbelt (and I'd recommend you do), it'll hold in the vest, and you won't even be able to tell where it ends, much less if it's a little.... puckered? lol.

Keep the progress shots coming. We're here to help how we can. Once you get your plate mock ups finalized, make sure to post a good pic of two from different angles. We'll let you know if they look the right size/shape for you. From what I can tell, you're on the right path. ;)

Zedrin Ho'dag

« Reply #4 on: Oct 01, 2010, 07:34 PM »
Feedback much appreciated!! I am keeping a log as I complete stuff so I hope people can get some ideas from my adventures.  One such note came this evening. 

My thoughts then were, "Velcro with adhesive, what a great idea!  Now I can just stick it into place and sew it on the machine quick."

My thoughts now are, "Damn adhesive, it gums up the sewing needle on the machine which breaks the thread. Man I hate hand stitching the whole thing!"

Please learn from my mistakes, I know I have on this one!  Mistakes can become lessons only if one learns from them!  I am hoping to have some progress pics later tonight to share......

ConDar Ward

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #5 on: Oct 01, 2010, 08:46 PM »
 :D Dude use Snaps , Much easier that Sewing it all ...... IMO .

Keep us up Dated .......
If I can help , I will .   ;)

Zedrin Ho'dag

« Reply #6 on: Oct 01, 2010, 08:54 PM »
Thank you!  I have always been OK behind a sewing machine and have mended clothes for some time. Plus I like to look of the closure without any sign of clasps.  I figured out the adhesive issue.  After a nice soak in alcohol, (personally one of my favorite remedies  ;D ) I was able to use my thumbnail and roll the adhesive right off the back!  Now I should certainly have a few more progress pics later tonight!

« Last Edit: Oct 01, 2010, 08:56 PM by Narseryc » Logged

Cando Pax

• Legacy
  • Awards Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 10 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #7 on: Oct 01, 2010, 09:00 PM »
Very interesting technique, I may need to try it.

ConDar Ward

« Reply #8 on: Oct 01, 2010, 09:20 PM »
Thank you!  I have always been OK behind a sewing machine and have mended clothes for some time. Plus I like to look of the closure without any sign of clasps.  I figured out the adhesive issue.  After a nice soak in alcohol, (personally one of my favorite remedies  ;D ) I was able to use my thumbnail and roll the adhesive right off the back!  Now I should certainly have a few more progress pics later tonight!

I'll be here all Night !  " Bad'a Bing "   

Zedrin Ho'dag

« Reply #9 on: Oct 01, 2010, 11:06 PM »
Very interesting technique, I may need to try it.

The odd thing is that up here, there isn't a local fabrics store so I have to rely on what Wal-Mart has in stock and it seems that they only have the adhesive type of Velcro....

Zedrin Ho'dag

Update as Promised!
« Reply #10 on: Oct 02, 2010, 12:29 AM »
OK, here is tonight's update as promised!  The finished flak vest from the front....

From the back....

And with a awesome girth belt that I found at a garage sale for $8.00!!

Only one minor issue with the girth belt....

So my question now is, what can I do to this belt to make it as awesome as it should be!?  Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

ConDar Ward

« Reply #11 on: Oct 02, 2010, 02:17 AM »
Give it to me and I'll show you ..... hahahha    ;D :D

Definitely keep the Buckle to the Back , And Add Mando Adornments .

Pouches , Small Armor plates in a pattern , Your Family Symbol , Clan Symbol , etc ,etc .

I have a Few other Ideas but ...... that's the Basic I have , off the top of my head .  ;D IMO

Biohazard

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #12 on: Oct 02, 2010, 09:33 AM »
Wow, yeah. lol. Definitely buckle-to-the-back. :D

I don't think it'll look all that bad once you have stuff on the belt, but if you ever start getting self-concious about it, you can always make a tube sleeve to put on it, and then once you've put the belt on, you can slide the sleve over the buckle to hide it (but keep it in the back still, if you do that).

Something else you could do to hide a buckle like that is have a high-mounted kama. Just make your kama, and then have some snaps on the underside of the belt. Snap the kama to the belt, and have it drape up and over the belt. If you do that, make sure to adjust your measurements for your kama, as you'll lose probably 6-7 inches off the length when you drape it. ;)

« Reply #13 on: Oct 02, 2010, 09:53 AM »
If you look at pics of Jango from the back (sorry I don't have them to link) then you will see that he actually has some leather specifically to cover the buckles used on his girth belt. It's just simple 8oz tooling leather that you can get, maybe even as scrap, from a leather shop. At most I think it may cost you 15 bucks. At Most.

On the belt itself: It looks freaking sweet.

Zedrin Ho'dag

« Reply #14 on: Oct 02, 2010, 06:41 PM »
Thanks guys!  I was thinking about some sort of tube cover that would soft of look like the tubes in the back of the stormtrooper armor but I am not sure exactly how to accomplish it.  Once I give it some thought, I will probably do both the tube cover and the kama solution.  Thanks for the advice, as always, it is much appreciated!

OriKad

• The Grizzled Old Sergeant of Mav Oya'la Clan
  • Awards Force Hunter Brigade Member Special Weapons 267th Rapid Assault Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Airmobile brigade member
« Reply #15 on: Oct 03, 2010, 05:45 AM »
I say keep it as is, buckle in front, and try to make some other elements of the costume match it stylistically.  That is truly an epic belt.  Consider pairing it with heavy armor.

« Reply #16 on: Oct 16, 2010, 10:14 AM »
man using a wieght lifting  belt is brilliant!

Zedrin Ho'dag

« Reply #17 on: Oct 16, 2010, 11:12 AM »
Thank you!! That one works well because it doesn't flare out to cover more of the back for support.  Although I have another weight belt of that type that I trimmed the flare off to make it a regular wide leather belt.

Dragon Sunkiller

• Always remember.... that way you never forget!
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #18 on: Oct 16, 2010, 01:24 PM »
I'm really looking forward to more progress on this build! I love the idea of using a weight belt! I thought about it before, but never really considered putting it into practice. I've been trying to find a gurth belt to add to my kit. I may just throw my weight belt on tonight and see how it looks.  :P Looking great vod!

M.A.J.I.C. #057
OM# 371

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!