Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Arch's WIP: A Girl and Her Armor

• 50 Replies

Arch

• Awards Award for 100 official invasions. Award for 75 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Celebration Orlando 2017 Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions
Arch's WIP: A Girl and Her Armor
« on: Oct 03, 2010, 07:55 PM »

Click here to jump to my most recent kit!

_____________________________ THE JOURNEY BEGINS! _____________________________

Hi all!

I've been a lurker for a long time now, and me and my fiancee (Chro) have been working on our kits over the course of the past year. During this time, we've made mistakes, new friends, and a couple of full kits with scratch-built helmets.

Here's the mug shot of my first kit:

I wanted to make a female kit with sharp edges instead of smooth curves. I think that this kit looked decent from the front, but was really lacking from the side... Check out the gaps.

Recently, I relented and took out my frustration on a poor T-shirt mannequin, ala Sinclair and some of the other Mando girls here:

A Dremel worked great for this, however, I think I could have managed my RPM speed a little better. The fiberglass / resin / plastic / whateveritwas melted into little Hershey Kiss-looking things all around my cutting disc. I had to stop a few times to clean the Dremel off.

Time for paint! I love weathering armor. I used some gel toothpaste to mask things out before applying layers of paint. As it has in the past, this method worked like a charm!

New knee pads are next on my list! I don't like how they sag on my original kit. Cold weather is on its way around these parts, so I hope to make speedy progress on the things that require outdoor attention!

Thanks for having a look at this madness!
- Arch

« Last Edit: Jan 17, 2018, 09:40 PM by Arch » Logged

Dha'ward Firaxan

• Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: Arch's WIP: A Girl and Her Armor
« Reply #1 on: Oct 03, 2010, 08:03 PM »
Great job on the first kit! Looking forward to the next one. Will we being seeing you guys at AB next year?

Mandalorian Mercs - Firaxan Clan

Arch

• Awards Award for 100 official invasions. Award for 75 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Celebration Orlando 2017 Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #2 on: Oct 03, 2010, 08:06 PM »
Absolutely! :) We've been going to Anime Boston for years. Last year, the Firaxan and Wampa folks were kind enough to let us tag along in our armor. Hopefully we can be official this year!

Thank you for the encouragement!

Dha'ward Firaxan

• Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #3 on: Oct 03, 2010, 08:25 PM »
Lol i know i was there! I was the all black Mando. Just upgraded my kit and took on a new paintjob

Arch

« Reply #4 on: Oct 03, 2010, 08:48 PM »
Aha! :) Sorry I didn't put that together! I remember ya'.

In that case, thanks for having us along! :D I am definitely looking forward to AB 2011!

Dha'ward Firaxan

« Reply #5 on: Oct 03, 2010, 09:01 PM »
Thats okay! Haha. AB2011 should prove to be a blast!

Biohazard

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #6 on: Oct 04, 2010, 09:41 AM »
You've made great progress, Arch! I'm proud. :D

One thing I might suggest is to use a bit of crushed up conte crayons where the paint is chipped away. Just get a little of the dust on your fingers and rub it along on where you weathered the paint. It'll get in the little crevasses and help those lines pop a bit more, and add some more depth to it.

Looking great! Keep us updated!

Len'ya Sarsk

• Big Damn Hero
  • Awards Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #7 on: Oct 04, 2010, 10:35 AM »
Look'n good so far! I kind of like the chest diamond being up a tad more than normal. :)

Arch

« Reply #8 on: Oct 09, 2010, 10:58 AM »
Thanks, Bio and Len'ya! :) I think I'm going to end up with a somewhat large collarbone piece with this one, because everything wants to sit kind of low.

I love the conte crayon idea! You're right; I bet that would really help bring the weathering around. Will it stay put on its own, though, or would I need to find a clear coat to seal it in?

I'm going to go harvest some beskar, now... Probably in the form of a storage tote. Wish me a happy hunt! ;)

Biohazard

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #9 on: Oct 09, 2010, 12:45 PM »
Thanks, Bio and Len'ya! :) I think I'm going to end up with a somewhat large collarbone piece with this one, because everything wants to sit kind of low.

I love the conte crayon idea! You're right; I bet that would really help bring the weathering around. Will it stay put on its own, though, or would I need to find a clear coat to seal it in?

I'm going to go harvest some beskar, now... Probably in the form of a storage tote. Wish me a happy hunt! ;)

You'll want to seal it with an appropriate clearcoat. I usually use Krylon. If you want matte, gloss, or satin, etc... juse use whatever type you want. I'd do two good coats of it. Spray it on, let it sit for twenty minutes, do another coat, let it sit for twenty, then let it sit for a week indoors, just to be safe.

Note: if the clearcoat glazes a bit (like frosting on the paintjob), just let it dry, then use a lintfree cloth to just gently rub it away. The frosting sometimes happens when the paint dries in the air, and then beads on the surface you're spraying. Since it's a clear coat, it doesn't reflect teh light correctly. However, if you gently brush it away, those beads should fall off.

Arch

« Reply #10 on: Oct 12, 2010, 09:33 PM »
It never occurred to me that they make clear coat in matte finish! This is probably the best news ever! :D Thanks again!

I bought a Sterilite tote over the weekend and started making some new plates for my kit. Here's an ugly picture of it, complete with an obnoxious flash flare!

(EDIT: lol jk Photobucket killed everything I love. The photo is gone.)

(It gets dark outside too early now, and my lighting gear is MIA. Boo!)

The knees are not pictured well here, but you can see from here that the way they're curled doesn't quite match yet. I'm still fighting with the plastic to get it to set the way it should. If you give this stuff a few hours, it likes to relax right up and all of the pretty curving goes bye-bye. Once I'm sure that the plastic is done being wishy-washy about what it wants to be when it grows up, I'll start in to painting it.

I also have a pair of coveralls and a 2-piece Jango helmet coming my way. Bring it!

Suggestions are more than welcome! I'd love to take the time to do this kit right and try for official with it. :)

« Last Edit: Jan 17, 2018, 09:42 PM by Arch » Logged

Dragon Sunkiller

• Always remember.... that way you never forget!
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #11 on: Oct 13, 2010, 01:02 AM »
Looking great! Love the paint! Can't wait to see it finished!

M.A.J.I.C. #057
OM# 371

Arch

« Reply #12 on: Oct 23, 2010, 10:06 AM »
Thanks!

I've come up on another question: How do I get straps attached to my tote-plastic armor?

The shin armor pieces on my last trash can kit were a mess of elastic ribbon and duct tape on the back. Turns out that Gorilla Glue doesn't stick to this material. I'm not sure what the best way to adhere straps would be. Suggestions?

The other pieces are easy-- I have the gaunts bent so that they'll just clap onto my arms and stay put. Everything else will use Velcro. The adhesive on Velcro is just about the only thing I've been able to find that will bond with trash can-type plastic.

Dha'ward Firaxan

« Reply #13 on: Oct 23, 2010, 09:41 PM »
What i did on my thighs is buy two boxes of velcro. One box of the heavy duty sticky back type. This is what i stuck to my armor plate, on on top on on bottom. The second box is the same heavy duty velcro just in sew on form.

Then i headed out to Jo-Anns and got some 1 - 2 inch straps, about 2 yards i think. Measured the length around my thigh with about an inch and a half of over lap on both ends.

Now comes the sewing. I sewed a equal length of sewing velcro to the sticky velcro that i put on the pate. I placed that in the middle of the strap. Then i sewed velcro to either end of the strap so its and over lap on the other side of the plate.

If you need pics as a reference i can take them

Arch

« Reply #14 on: Oct 24, 2010, 10:41 AM »
I see what you're talking about. Thanks! I'll have to stock up on some more Velcro.

Really, dude. The adhesive on that stuff is magical.

I've been making a lot of progress on my armor without posting pictures because I'm a huge doofus. Pictures soon, I promise! :)

Dha'ward Firaxan

« Reply #15 on: Oct 24, 2010, 06:16 PM »
Really, dude. The adhesive on that stuff is magical.
Lol it really is. It is such a pain in the shebs to pull of if you have to fix it too.  :P

Arch

« Reply #16 on: Oct 25, 2010, 08:37 PM »
It is! I tried removing some before fiberglassing my old armor!

I didn't want a range finder, so it got blown off. :D

Rubies Jango 2-piece, assembled, Bondo'd, and painted!

« Last Edit: Jan 17, 2018, 09:43 PM by Arch » Logged

Dha'ward Firaxan

« Reply #17 on: Oct 25, 2010, 08:49 PM »
Very nice! Great job on modding it. I like the idea of the blown off RF. Maybe if you tore a bit off the top of the earcap? Maybe melted it under a flame for a few seconds to give it a scortched blaster bolt look?

Dragon Sunkiller

• Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #18 on: Oct 26, 2010, 12:58 AM »
Awesome idea! Or even if you just attached the bottom inch or two of a broken range finder.

M.A.J.I.C. #057
OM# 371

Jagen Ordo

• Chirp-chirp-chirp...KABLOEY!
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Skittles is the award for the most colourful picture of Mandos. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #19 on: Oct 29, 2010, 08:38 AM »
I have a feeling you won't be happy with that diamond piece.
But I really like the blown-off RF.

Feelings? Look vod, you know who has a lot of feelings? Emo darksiders choking their wives with the Force.
Professionals have standards. Be polite. Be efficient. Have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

Arch

« Reply #20 on: Nov 01, 2010, 09:39 PM »
Jagen Ordo: Why wouldn't I be happy with it? It's like a prize ribbon. I'm like an award-winning horse or something. :P

I kind of like the wires in lieu of a partially-broken range finder stem-- It looks like it was blown off, then yanked out for good measure.

I did hack a chunk of the ear cap off, but then I put hot glue on there to make it look melted. It's hard to see in any of these pictures, though! The hot glue kind of ended up 'reconstructing' the shape and undermining my broken ear cap plan, too.

I like this bucket a lot, though!

Here's some pictures... I think I'm just about there. Is there anything here that needs major attention?

« Last Edit: Nov 01, 2010, 09:43 PM by Arch » Logged

Dragon Sunkiller

« Reply #21 on: Nov 01, 2010, 11:54 PM »
Looking great! I love the light armor look! I may go that direction myself for my next build. I wasn't sure if you had gloves on at first glance.  :D

M.A.J.I.C. #057
OM# 371

Dha'ward Firaxan

« Reply #22 on: Nov 02, 2010, 12:16 AM »
Looking great! I like the tied off cloak around your neck. Very nomadish. I like the custom chest plates as well

Suggestions:
Weather up the soft parts.

Your left shoulder looks higher than the right. I cant tell if thats the way its supposed to be. 

I would switch out the small red belt for a bigger one to fill in that area.

EDIT: Wow i couldnt even tell you had gloves til Jagen said it!

« Last Edit: Nov 02, 2010, 12:19 AM by Dha'ward Krayt » Logged

Jagen Ordo

• Chirp-chirp-chirp...KABLOEY!
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Skittles is the award for the most colourful picture of Mandos. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #23 on: Nov 02, 2010, 01:45 AM »
Ever tried bending over with that diamond? It just looks painful.

Wow i couldnt even tell you had gloves til Jagen said it!
I did?

Feelings? Look vod, you know who has a lot of feelings? Emo darksiders choking their wives with the Force.
Professionals have standards. Be polite. Be efficient. Have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

Mandalore the Uniter

• Herder of Cats
  • Uniting the Faithful.
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Celebration Chicago Celebration Orlando 2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #24 on: Nov 02, 2010, 10:51 AM »
Yeah, I think some good weathering on the soft parts is all this kit is lacking. 

I had an awesome sig once, till Photobucket killed it. *frownyface*

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!