Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Fem-mando Early Crusader (APPROVED)

• 1322 Replies
Re: Fem-mando Early Crusader (Help with BLASTER pg.16)
« Reply #250 on: Feb 21, 2011, 04:48 PM »
Aye but im selling the other kidney to buy A'den skirata's new bucket !  ;D

In that case, carry on.

"It's against my programming to impersonate a deity," C3P0

seugtai

• 'ZOOG-tay'
  • nom nom...cookie
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Celebration Chicago Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 25 official invasions.
Re: Fem-mando Early Crusader (BLASTER update pg.17)
« Reply #251 on: Feb 21, 2011, 04:59 PM »
Am I gonna have to separate you two? LOL  :D

Okay looking for your opinion if the sides have enough dimension now, and if they resemble enough to the reference.

The reference again...

And what I'm hoping is ready to move on to the paint stage...

« Last Edit: Feb 21, 2011, 05:14 PM by seugtai » Logged

Kel Toi

• The Kilted Mando!
« Reply #252 on: Feb 21, 2011, 05:04 PM »
Silver/grey and black , with maybe a gold or copper colour grip . I cant tell you much more , the pic makes my eyes want to look at each other  :rolleyes:

Kel Toi

• The Kilted Mando!
« Reply #253 on: Feb 21, 2011, 05:06 PM »
P.s. The pistol looks fabulous , FAB  8)

seugtai

• 'ZOOG-tay'
  • nom nom...cookie
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Celebration Chicago Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #254 on: Feb 21, 2011, 05:12 PM »
LOL, hey I even blew it up some and tried to enhance it a bit for you.

Thanks Kel.  :)

Kel Toi

• The Kilted Mando!
« Reply #255 on: Feb 21, 2011, 05:22 PM »
Aye , i meant the digitised version of the pic your working from , gives me a migrane LOL Making me like mad eye moody from Horry Patter !

seugtai

• 'ZOOG-tay'
  • nom nom...cookie
« Reply #256 on: Feb 21, 2011, 05:32 PM »
Psst, I was referring to the digitized one. Guess it didn't help much.  :-\
Imagine how I feel, I've been staring at it for hours on end.  :o

Kel Toi

• The Kilted Mando!
« Reply #257 on: Feb 21, 2011, 05:35 PM »
LOL , Your well more than capable to paint that baby up ner'vod , its a wee beauty  ;)

RoboEmma

• aka Roboemma
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #258 on: Feb 21, 2011, 07:55 PM »
It is so awesome that you're making a Ripper. That blaster reminds me so much of the KotOR game; the Mandalorians were always using them. :D Great choice.

~

Hagen Nor'ak

• More then credits
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 25 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #259 on: Feb 22, 2011, 04:44 AM »
I'd say you nailed the blaster. The only other helpful thing I was going to add was about the woodgrain. It can be a problem in the painting process. And thats where the useful info ends cause I belive it was StormTrooperGuy (Brian) that recomended something that can take care of the problem. But can't remember if he said a little of bondo or resin would take care of the problem.

So I guess to sum everything up, ask STG if you have any problems with the wood grain showing through durring painting  :P

Have a good one,
Hagen

OriKad

• The Grizzled Old Sergeant of Mav Oya'la Clan
  • Awards Force Hunter Brigade Member Special Weapons 267th Rapid Assault Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Airmobile brigade member
« Reply #260 on: Feb 22, 2011, 05:28 AM »
On wood-grain:  Cheap wood putty in several thin coats (sand lightly with 200 grit by hand).  Costs about a buck and it fills out the grain nicely.  Apply it by massaging it in with fingertips and you'll get a nice smooth finish after the sanding.  I did that for my not-yet-finished darksaber hilt.

seugtai

• 'ZOOG-tay'
  • nom nom...cookie
Re: Fem-mando Early Crusader (BONE paint apps. pg.18)
« Reply #261 on: Feb 23, 2011, 09:36 AM »
Since I’m painting the blades on my axe, I thought I’d share how I’m painting the bone texture for my kit. Earlier in my thread Spanner pointed me in the direction of StormTrooperGuy’s site for mold making videos and such, while I was there I saw his technique that he does with Windex added to the paint to make a wash, so I decided to try his method for getting the bone texture and it worked out great.

First I sprayed on a base color of heirloom white in satin by Rust-Oleum. Then I started adding the layers of  craft paint/Windex mixture with a paper towel.

On the left is the first layer of Cinnamon and the right just the heirloom white base coat.

Next I added a layer of Burnt Umber, again this set is on the left and the previous on the right so you can see the subtle difference.

Then I added Raw Umber, mainly hitting in the areas of the crevasses, around the areas of the pith marks, and in places to accentuate the blade edge. Just trying to give the piece more added depth. Again this step is on the left the previous the right.

I then went back and added another layer of Cinnamon to bring out more of an aged look. Do I need to continue telling you what’s on the left and right, no you got it I think.  :P ;D

Once I’m happy with the paint/Windex washes I move onto dry brushing again with the Raw Umber. (This is a bit darker on my axe then helmet because I tried to account for how it’s used)

The final step I do is to add the highlights, and for that I use Titanium White with a dry brush technique. (This is very subtle, you may not be able to really see the difference in the picture.)

Last but not least if your painting several pieces with this technique make sure to place them together to check that your paint apps. match. (The handle has not been painted yet. JFYI-before I get any the handle looks like crap comments.)  ;)

Hope that helps anyone wanting to add a bone texture to something.

Thanks for the info for covering the wood grain, I PM'd StormTrooperGuy and he said the exact same thing as Orikad.

seugtai

• 'ZOOG-tay'
  • nom nom...cookie
« Reply #262 on: Feb 23, 2011, 09:46 AM »
Holy crap, you thinking about getting into a business to make and sell some of these?

That's my plan eventually.  ;)

Side note-Maybe I can head down for one of Naast Clan's armor parties and you can teach me how to make masks...PLEASE, pretty PRETTY PLEASE. One of my future kits is alien and I have to make a mask for her and have no clue of the process.

« Reply #263 on: Feb 23, 2011, 10:03 AM »
That is absolutely fabulous! :D I'm really glad you showed the process. It came out amazing :D

OriKad

• The Grizzled Old Sergeant of Mav Oya'la Clan
  • Awards Force Hunter Brigade Member Special Weapons 267th Rapid Assault Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Airmobile brigade member
« Reply #264 on: Feb 23, 2011, 10:49 AM »
Beautiful result, vod.  Just perfect.

Mandalore the Uniter

• Herder of Cats
  • Uniting the Faithful.
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Celebration Chicago Celebration Orlando 2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #265 on: Feb 23, 2011, 11:03 AM »
This set just keeps getting better and better.  :D

I had an awesome sig once, till Photobucket killed it. *frownyface*

Kel Toi

• The Kilted Mando!
« Reply #266 on: Feb 23, 2011, 11:21 AM »
More brilliant work , just like MacD's IM LOVIN IT  ;)

GreatSkyRiver Falco

• Haamyc ner nu'amyc
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #267 on: Feb 23, 2011, 11:22 AM »
(nice!)^3

OriKebiin'traYustapir
Victory, not vengence.
reality is a hologram created by our minds.
M.A.J.I.C # 008

Cyrus Rang

• Go ahead and run...Chasing you is fun!
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #268 on: Feb 23, 2011, 11:36 AM »
Thats great. You are truly an artist

seugtai

• 'ZOOG-tay'
  • nom nom...cookie
« Reply #269 on: Feb 23, 2011, 11:50 AM »
That is absolutely fabulous! :D I'm really glad you showed the process. It came out amazing :D

Thanks, I've picked up so many great tips from others here, I figured it was only right to give back when I can.

Thanks everyone else for your comments, I'm having a hard time finding tips on painting a gun silver with the black fade look to it, can anyone point me in the right direction or give me some tips for my blaster?

« Reply #270 on: Feb 23, 2011, 12:11 PM »
Freaking awesome.  I'm so jealous of your skills.

"It's against my programming to impersonate a deity," C3P0

Pointoforigin

• Pointy Stick Wielder
  • Mukal Warosi
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #271 on: Feb 23, 2011, 01:05 PM »
Crazy people and their crazy skills...

I'd have done it in a metal look rather than bone, but oh god it looks good like that.

Hagen Nor'ak

• More then credits
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 25 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #272 on: Feb 24, 2011, 02:56 AM »
Thanks everyone else for your comments, I'm having a hard time finding tips on painting a gun silver with the black fade look to it, can anyone point me in the right direction or give me some tips for my blaster?

I'm confused about the black fade, do you mean adding carbon scoring from the weapon being fired? If so area's like the muzzle and any ejection port are going to the area's you'll want to hit hardest. Sorta like you the process you used for the bone armor, but with grays and blacks instead of the umber. I'll see if I can find some real world pics that might help.

Have a good one,
Hagen

redkraytdragon

• Disintigrations are likely...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #273 on: Feb 24, 2011, 06:14 AM »
This build is just FANTASTIC! I can't wait to see the rest :)

Vash Bastra

• formerly newbeskargam
« Reply #274 on: Feb 24, 2011, 10:16 AM »
I'm having a hard time finding tips on painting a gun silver with the black fade look to it, can anyone point me in the right direction or give me some tips for my blaster?
I found a pic of someone's armor that I think looks like what you're talking about.
http://s1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd404/Fifetrooper/MDA%20Muscle%20walk/?action=view&current=IMG_6290.jpg
am I right?
If so, I think you could PM this user for more information on how he did it: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=4822

Also, FANTASTIC stuff so far. McDonald's can go die, because I'm Lovin' This!

« Last Edit: Feb 24, 2011, 10:38 AM by newbeskargam » Logged
The trick isn't hiding from your prey
The trick is not needing to.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!