Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Fem-mando Early Crusader (APPROVED)

• 1322 Replies

seugtai

• 'ZOOG-tay'
  • nom nom...cookie
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Celebration Chicago Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 25 official invasions.
Fem-mando Early Crusader (APPROVED)
« on: Nov 07, 2010, 07:22 PM »
Table of Contents

Page  1-Concept Art/Inspiration
Page  3-Helmet Base
Page  4-Horns Added to Helmet
Page  5-Visor Cut Out and Raised Area Around Visor Added
Page  6-Hose Attachment Added to Helmet
Page  9-Painted Helmet and Start of Mythosaur Axe
Page 10-Tutorial on Building a Mythosaur Axe
Page 13-Pre-painted Mythosaur Axe and Start of Mandalorian Ripper
Page 14-Almost Completed Helmet (minus hoses)
Page 15-More Helmet Pictures
Page 17-Pre-painted Mandalorian Ripper
Page 18-Tutorial on How to Paint Bone
Page 20-Painted Mandalorian Ripper
Page 23-Painted Mythosaur Axe and Start of Backpack
Page 28-Pre-painted Backpack
Page 32-Start of Leather Chest Piece
Page 33-Painted Backpack
Page 34-Start of Armor
Page 35-Painted Armor
Page 37-Start of Shoulders
Page 38-Spikes added to Shoulders and Painted Shoulders
Page 42-Gloves and Jacket
Page 43-Finished Ripper
Page 45-Leather Chest Hose Attachment
Page 45-Helmet Hose Attachment
Page 46-Finished Axe
Page 47-Start of Upper Body Set-Up
Page 50-Upper Body Test Fit
Page 51-Metal Trim Seal added to Leather Chest Piece and Character Idea
Page 53-Metal Trim Seal added to Back
Page 54-Loop for Axe Support
Page 55-Shoulder Danglies
Page 56-Finished Leather Chest Piece
Page 58-Finished Belt
Page 59-Weathered Jacket
Page 60-Start of Loin and Butt Cloths, Leather Arm Wraps Test and Weathered  Ripper Leather Grip
Page 62-Arm Wraps Test 2
Page 64-Half Gauntlets with Arm Wraps and Finished Ab Plate strap
Page 65-Leather Bracer
Page 68-Hand Plates
Page 69-Boot Set-up
Page 70-Boot Zipper Covered
Page 71-Padded Helmet and Shoulder Test
Page 72-Character Sigil Added to Helmet
Page 73-Holster Concept
Page 74-Finished Gaunts
Page 75-Full Upper Body Test Fit
Page 77-Finished Holster
Page 78-Finished Back Pouch
Page 81-Application Pictures
Page 88-"Bondo Sculpting" Tutorial

Hello all. Been lurking around since my son came to me one day and said he wanted to be Boba Fett. So since I was always more a Princess Leia and Jedi fan, I started researching everything Mandalorian, which brought me here.  The original plan was for this to be something he and I did together, but shortly into scratch building his helmet, his little sister wanted in too. So to the back burner my kit went. Well now that their’s are finished, or mostly so, I can start mine.

For those of you who were at Dragon*Con this year and were kind enough to pose for a picture with my kids, I just want to say a big, BIG “thank you”, they had so much fun. They literally still haven’t stop talking about it.

When I was lurking I came across this guy, and something about him just really struck me.

So I decided to feminize him, and this is what I came up with. The only thing I’m not sure about is the back pouch.  CRL’s state no modern pouches and the ones they have seem modern to me, so I wanted to go with a more primative/gutteral interpretation, but I just don’t know if it fits?

I plan to start with scratch building the helmet, and have a template drawn out.  My question is, this particular crusader’s helmet doesn’t seem to have cheeks, more of a flat face. Does that seem right? I understand most helms from the early period seemed to be one of a kind, no two looked alike. My template has an elongated point at the chin which then curves higher up towards the back then a modern helm. I wanted to do a traditional dome as well, with the horns, not the aero biker helmet dome I’ve seen, is that okay? Also, if you look closely his t-visor seems to be more jagged, not a clean cut. I really liked that, is my interpretation of that okay? Sorry lots of questions. Any information you guys can give me on what you know about crusader helms would be greatly appreciated before I start.

« Last Edit: Nov 16, 2012, 09:43 AM by seugtai » Logged

A'den Aaray

• The Bull Mando
Re: Fem-mando Early Crusader
« Reply #1 on: Nov 07, 2010, 07:34 PM »
Those kits look great I can't wait to see what you do for yourself. Your design also looks good

The Bull Mandalorian You mess with me and YOU WILL get the horns
Armor: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=32063.0
pilot: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=31385.0

Arch

• Awards Award for 100 official invasions. Award for 75 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Celebration Orlando 2017 Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #2 on: Nov 07, 2010, 07:45 PM »
Your kids' costumes look awesome! It looks like you were all able to have a lot of fun together with this.

I really like your female Neo Crusader idea! I think that 'primitive' pouch you've come up with definitely looks like it belongs, but I can't make any official say on the matter. It looks aesthetically sound, though!

I'll be sure to keep an eye on this project... I can't wait to see what you come up with!

lightning667

« Reply #3 on: Nov 07, 2010, 07:55 PM »
i dont think that the face is flat i just think its relatively flatter i would suggest going with the same type of cheeks that u did for your kits only a little less pronounced. also i dont see that crusaders face jagged it could just be the angle of the pic, but like you said, the helmets are all one of a kind. and id like to see the type of dome your wanted to make this out of just for reference. other than that it looks like u got a great idea unfolder here and dont worry bout all the questions , we all do it so no worrys :D]

Hondo Karr

• Awards Team Player - 1 of 2 Official Members who are best Matching Pair Award for 25 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #4 on: Nov 07, 2010, 08:11 PM »
very cool concept. love the kids armor!

seugtai

• 'ZOOG-tay'
  • nom nom...cookie
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Celebration Chicago Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #5 on: Nov 07, 2010, 08:18 PM »
Thanks for all the nice comments on my kids kits guys.

Arch-glad you think it looks aesthetically sound, lol, I didn’t want to have all that bone color on the front side and just the back plate on the back so I thought of making the pouch bone colored as well.

LT. Sazh-Sorry, I’m not being very clear, I mean a modern style dome just with the horns.  And  I’m asking if the “T” has to be ruler straight or if I can do the more jagged look I have drawn out. Thanks for that about the cheeks, I was thinking of doing them less pronounced as you suggested too, I just wasn’t sure.

A’den-??WHAT?? I thought you’d have an answer to ALL my questions, Please help! lol ;)

Hondo Karr

• Awards Team Player - 1 of 2 Official Members who are best Matching Pair Award for 25 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #6 on: Nov 07, 2010, 08:29 PM »
Sorry, have a birthday party going on right now concentrating on reading is tough lol!

Anyway, your interpretations seem to be pretty spot on and your visor design is fine. As for the dome and the helmet itself, I honestly thing the best way to do with it is to start with a bike helmet as a base and design the helmets "body" from that base. You can get bike helmets, skateboarding helmets etc., in a variety if shapes and designs from smooth to something that could be manipulated to look like a rough bone skull dome.

seugtai

• 'ZOOG-tay'
  • nom nom...cookie
« Reply #7 on: Nov 07, 2010, 08:42 PM »
A’den- Okay thanks, I just wanted to make sure I didn’t have to use one of those aerodynamic bike helmets with the point coming off the back cause I really don’t like those. lol

No offense to those that have used them ;D

« Last Edit: Nov 07, 2010, 08:43 PM by seugtai » Logged

lightning667

« Reply #8 on: Nov 07, 2010, 09:02 PM »
aside from the helmet, wat will u be using to make the armor itself?

seugtai

• 'ZOOG-tay'
  • nom nom...cookie
« Reply #9 on: Nov 07, 2010, 09:29 PM »
LT. Sazh-Well I’m definitely not going with any kind of plastic, went that route with my kids and I’m still cursing it! I saw over in the armor thread Squirrel and Tracy’uur’s Cardboard/resin/fiberglass plates and I thought I might try that. Did you have any suggestions?

lightning667

« Reply #10 on: Nov 07, 2010, 09:54 PM »
personally, i always use sintra, its an easier substance to work with and im more used to it, but i think that using cardboard for some of the pieces that look more like boney and veiny at the same time, would be a good choice, but also , how will u be doing those raised areas and "spines" on the armor?  ohh and no need to call me Lt. Sazh is fine to so no worries :D

seugtai

• 'ZOOG-tay'
  • nom nom...cookie
« Reply #11 on: Nov 07, 2010, 10:12 PM »
Sazh-I thought that lonewolf1183’s build up with sintra/bondo/epoxy putty for the mohawk of his pilot helmet was pretty ingenious, so I thought I’d try that, basically sculpting on those raised parts. A question about sintra- I know you heat it then shape it and it sets, but how is it long term? Does it stay in it’s shape well? How does adding anything like bondo to it surface affect it, does bondo stay fused well to it?

lightning667

« Reply #12 on: Nov 07, 2010, 10:33 PM »
well from working with sintra for a while, i know that it retains its shape untill reheated, and i mean HEATED, so unless your gunna be in the 100 + temps daily with the armor, you most likely wont experience any warping, i know for a fact that sintra i use is about 1/8 of an inch and its melts when heated and stays solid when i want it to be, the 6mm sintra i have seen is exceptionally good becasue it heats slowly and most definately stays in shape.
as for the bondo question, i havent worked with bondo as of now, but i assume that if put bondo to sintra then it should stay keep in mind , SHOULD. But im guessing that if you scratch out the sintra a little bit, ie sand or knife etch the areas where u want bondo, it will adheer better i belive. So yea, hope that helps , and i havent seen lonewolfs mohawk, but a buddy of mine, made his outta sintra and bondo and its holding up nicely as well.

Kora

• Queen of the Winter Harvest
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #13 on: Nov 07, 2010, 10:35 PM »
Sintra holds it's shape beautifully. Best plastic to use if you go that route. I'm using it to make the base of some parts of my early crusader armor and covering it in thin leather (the rest will be, hopefully, completely leather). I prefer epoxy putty for it's adhesion to sintra, if you were thinking of using something to sculpt the horns/ridges/etc straight onto the sintra. It's also a lot tougher than bondo, though, admittedly, more expensive.

I actually found a ski helmet to use as the base of mine; it's certainly got the oblong shape. But I wouldn't recommend one of those new. . .I just happened to luck out at Goodwill so if you have decent thrift stores around might find something spiffy there.

We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty.
- Mal, "Firefly"

Kora Solusar/Tiika Ruslin/Vaya Sinar Mendrosè

seugtai

• 'ZOOG-tay'
  • nom nom...cookie
« Reply #14 on: Nov 07, 2010, 11:27 PM »
Thanks Sazh and Kora, all your input has been really helpful, I appreciate you taking the time to help me out.  I plan on doing my flight suit and upper body section out of leather as well. What epoxy putty do you use Kora- I had indeed planned on using that for the horns and stuff.

lightning667

« Reply #15 on: Nov 07, 2010, 11:40 PM »
if u need help dont be afrait to ask. and what about making the ridges out of somthing else and then epoxy=ing them onto the sintra?

Kora

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #16 on: Nov 07, 2010, 11:41 PM »
So far I've just tried the Loctite brand 5 minute stuff, but I've also got some plumber's epoxy sitting around to try in case the 5 minute epoxy doesn't hold up as well. Slade's helmet also has the little horns on it, and he used epoxy putty. But I'm not sure which kind he used.

- Mal, "Firefly"

« Reply #17 on: Nov 08, 2010, 05:12 AM »
I really want to see an Early Crusader build and those wraps translated from EU-canon to a real costume in a proper way. I'm convinced it's possible to get the look right, so go for it!

This member has been permanently removed from the club by Dar'manda for violation of the Mandalorian Mercs Codex.

seugtai

• 'ZOOG-tay'
  • nom nom...cookie
« Reply #18 on: Nov 08, 2010, 07:19 AM »
I want this kit completed too! Lol It’ll probably take me awhile, I want to take my time and use all top grade materials, like real leather and such.  My goal is to have it troopable and official by Dragon*Con 2011, if sooner than great.

Kora-thanks for that on the epoxy putty, I had seen the plumbers kind and wasn’t sure if I should get that or order something else. I may have to PM Slade and ask him what he used, is he the one with the helmet that survived the birthday party? I can’t remember? lol

Sahz-the whole plate thing I’m sure will be a trial and error in the beginning till I find the right look I want.  I want it to be durable, and all your ideas will help a lot, so thanks.  And I’m sure there’ll be plenty more questions. lol

« Reply #19 on: Nov 08, 2010, 07:26 AM »
Don't forget to take pics of your progress, this has potential to become a tutorial for the era.

This member has been permanently removed from the club by Dar'manda for violation of the Mandalorian Mercs Codex.

seugtai

• 'ZOOG-tay'
  • nom nom...cookie
« Reply #20 on: Nov 08, 2010, 08:24 AM »
Tomoe-Thanks, I will. I took lots of pics when I did my kids kits, for my own use since I didn’t post my progress anywhere, so I’ll be sure to do it for this build as well.

Kora

« Reply #21 on: Nov 08, 2010, 03:38 PM »
I know he said it survived a fall, not sure if that was a birthday party event or not. lol

I'm really interested to see how yours comes out. :D I like this era for the insane amount of customization in it. . ..and I admit I'm curious to see how you tackle that axe because I haven't gotten started on mine yet. <_< >_> *chuckle*

- Mal, "Firefly"

seugtai

• 'ZOOG-tay'
  • nom nom...cookie
« Reply #22 on: Nov 08, 2010, 03:54 PM »
Kora-Well I’ll be doing the weapons after the helmet, so hopefully you wont have to wait too long. ;) Too bad you don’t still live in this area, I would love to get some pictures of us once both our kits are done.  I had been hoping to see how you did your helmet before I started, (hint, hint) lol :D

Dar'manda

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #23 on: Nov 08, 2010, 04:15 PM »
I love the concept!  I think so far we've never had anyone start (or at least complete) one of these kits.  So you'll definitely be breaking ground here.

The concept looks amazing.  What are you planning on using to make the armor seem "bony" and "bumpy"?  The helmet from pics seems to be flatter...but I'm with some of the others here in that it wouldn't look bad with a bit of indentation where the normal cheeks are. But it's up to you and your interperetation.

seugtai

• 'ZOOG-tay'
  • nom nom...cookie
« Reply #24 on: Nov 08, 2010, 04:30 PM »
Taglar-That’s what I was discussing earlier with Sahz and Kora, not really sure yet. I’ve seen Squirrel and Tracy’uur’s Cardboard/resin/fiberglass plates and they seemed like a good way to go, or sintra has been suggested.  Most likely the ridges will be sculpted. So far I’m learning the epoxy putty will be a lot tougher than bondo. And I want it durable. I’ve never used the putty before so that will be new, but I had intended to use it for the horn bits. Thanks for the kind words, glad you like it. That’s why I wanna take my time and do it right, cause I’ll be one of the first through with this and I’m sure it’ll be combed over with a fine tooth comb! lol

Oh by the way I think it's funny, we have the same last name, well my married name anyway.  ;D

« Last Edit: Nov 08, 2010, 04:35 PM by seugtai » Logged

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!