Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Fem-mando Early Crusader (APPROVED)

• 1322 Replies

Arketh

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: Fem-mando Early Crusader
« Reply #25 on: Nov 08, 2010, 04:49 PM »
The epoxy putty is the way to go. Beyond being tougher, it's also far easier to shape than bondo, more like a firm clay than bondo's thick pudding texture.

"You know, that's not a good idea. Let me get my camera."

Kora

• Queen of the Winter Harvest
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #26 on: Nov 08, 2010, 04:51 PM »
Kora-Well I’ll be doing the weapons after the helmet, so hopefully you wont have to wait too long. ;) Too bad you don’t still live in this area, I would love to get some pictures of us once both our kits are done.  I had been hoping to see how you did your helmet before I started, (hint, hint) lol :D

<_< >_> I actually was going to be working on it the past couple of weeks, but some unexpected circumstances have prevented me from doing so. I'm hopeful people won't have to wait some insane amount of time for it though as I'm really, really wanting to at least get the base done and start on my myriad assortment of horns. *heh* But there will definitely be many pictures once I do start again; I certainly don't skimp in that regard. lol

We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty.
- Mal, "Firefly"

Kora Solusar/Tiika Ruslin/Vaya Sinar Mendrosè

Dar'manda

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #27 on: Nov 08, 2010, 04:54 PM »
I concur on the epoxy putty.  Never used it myself, but I've heard it's much stronger than Bondo...and Bondo can actually be quite brittle at times.  Especially if your'e using it to "build up" something.

seugtai

• 'ZOOG-tay'
  • nom nom...cookie
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Celebration Chicago Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #28 on: Nov 08, 2010, 07:14 PM »
Hmm…I used bondo on the outside when I did my kids helmets, and fiberglassed the inside. Should I just fiberglass the outside? I know it’s more of a pain to sand down, but would it be stronger than bondo?

Drak Fiurr Verda

• ...Mew...
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #29 on: Nov 08, 2010, 08:42 PM »
I’ve seen Squirrel and Tracy’uur’s Cardboard/resin/fiberglass plates

Just wanted to say that Squirrel and Tracy'uur are the same guy. The other guy is me. I'm the one who does all the molding of the cardboard etc for bondo and fiberglass. Squirrel helps me resin and bondo.

Adding to what you said about fiberglassing the outside etc. When we build our stuff we usually put 2 layers of fiber on the outside then only use bondo to help smooth it out. From there we resin and fiber the inside or we use bondo hair strengthen the inside. Ends up being pretty freaking strong.

But if you choose to go with the way we do things down here in the Tampa Area just shoot me Squirrel or Jas'ika a PM and we'll be able to help you out with any questions.

« Last Edit: Nov 08, 2010, 08:45 PM by Drak Fiurr Verda » Logged

R.I.P Chris, aka Remo Jadd
BVC Command Email: bvclan@mandalorianmercs.com

lightning667

« Reply #30 on: Nov 08, 2010, 09:07 PM »
after hearing that this epoxy putty is stronger and more maliable than bondo, what does it look like and what exactly is it called? id like to pick up a can of this myself, sorry for the hijack

Arketh

« Reply #31 on: Nov 08, 2010, 11:50 PM »
after hearing that this epoxy putty is stronger and more maliable than bondo, what does it look like and what exactly is it called? id like to pick up a can of this myself, sorry for the hijack

It doesn't commonly come in cans. Most common form is in sticks that you rip off the needed amount and kneed until it's a consistent colour.  Shape, smooth and let cure.

There's a lot of different brands and names for it out there. For the most part they're all the same product, so going with the cheapest  is the best bet. Quiksteel, mighty putty, milliput  etc.

It's not a replacement for bondo in the areas that bondo's good for. But sculpting things, it wins hands down.

lightning667

« Reply #32 on: Nov 08, 2010, 11:54 PM »
It doesn't commonly come in cans. Most common form is in sticks that you rip off the needed amount and kneed until it's a consistent colour.  Shape, smooth and let cure.

There's a lot of different brands and names for it out there. For the most part they're all the same product, so going with the cheapest  is the best bet. Quiksteel, mighty putty, milliput  etc.

It's not a replacement for bondo in the areas that bondo's good for. But sculpting things, it wins hands down.
thanks , for sculpting that is what i was wondering, but also , its also an adhesive correct ?

Arketh

« Reply #33 on: Nov 08, 2010, 11:58 PM »
yep, it's that as well. Although, personally I haven't had much luck using it as such the few times I've used it for that. Well, other than sticking to my fingers.

If it hasn't been said, wear gloves. the stuff smells horrible on your hands.

lightning667

« Reply #34 on: Nov 09, 2010, 12:04 AM »
gotcha, thanks and seugtai, i think u can use this to scult your bones and such lol.

Dar'manda

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #35 on: Nov 09, 2010, 08:37 AM »
Hmm…I used bondo on the outside when I did my kids helmets, and fiberglassed the inside. Should I just fiberglass the outside? I know it’s more of a pain to sand down, but would it be stronger than bondo?

Oh, you can still use Bondo on the outside, I just meant for like the bone nubs or sticking up protruding bone spikes you might want to use epoxy putty for those instead.  The epoxy putty dries rock-hard so if you bump the bone spikes you shouldn't crack them off.

seugtai

• 'ZOOG-tay'
  • nom nom...cookie
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Celebration Chicago Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #36 on: Nov 09, 2010, 09:36 AM »
Thanks guys for all the help, I think I’m gonna try the way Drak does his helmets. Then using the epoxy putty to sculpt on all the details. Been working on the base structure of the helm, so hopefully I'll have something to show ya by the end of the week.

No worries Sazh, like you said before we all have questions, and I learned more about epoxy putty then I already did, so thanks.  ;)

seugtai

• 'ZOOG-tay'
  • nom nom...cookie
« Reply #37 on: Nov 14, 2010, 01:17 PM »
Okay guys, got the helmet assembled using for sale signs, then fiberglass taped the entire thing, then put two coats of fiberglass, then bondoed. I’d post the pics I took while making but as I worked I kept changing things to get the look I was after, so I’m not sure they’d be much help to anyone building a crusader. Anyway, I wanted to get everyone’s opinion on it as it stands now before I cut out the visor and epoxy on the horns and raised areas around the visor area. I’m still looking for hoses to use. And I'd really like to thank Drak, for answer all my questions.

Front view

Left side (the ridges in the cheek areas were done while I was bondoing)

Right side (not sure why this one's smaller) lol

View looking down (so you can see the horn placement)

Comments and criticism (I'm a big girl I can take it  ;))

« Reply #38 on: Nov 14, 2010, 01:39 PM »
Nice scratchbuild, that will be a good base for all the other steps. From the design point of view, I would make the visor cut out a litlle less curvy than the outer shave of the V.... not completely straight like a the usual T-shape but more "concentrated" than the outer line to help the random audience to focus on the T-visor.

This member has been permanently removed from the club by Dar'manda for violation of the Mandalorian Mercs Codex.

seugtai

• 'ZOOG-tay'
  • nom nom...cookie
« Reply #39 on: Nov 14, 2010, 02:19 PM »
Filled in the area for the visor, just so it'd be clear.

From the design point of view, I would make the visor cut out a litlle less curvy than the outer shave of the V.... not completely straight like a the usual T-shape but more "concentrated" than the outer line to help the random audience to focus on the T-visor.

Are you talking about straightening this section out, so it's not so jagged? Or were you talking about the lines outside of that?

Mandalore the Uniter

• Herder of Cats
  • Uniting the Faithful.
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Celebration Chicago Celebration Orlando 2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #40 on: Nov 14, 2010, 02:42 PM »
I'm thinking you will want to go with less small random curves on the T area.  If you look at the pic below, in the T visor area there are a very few sweeping curves in the T area.

Also, I would try to get rid of as much of the mandible seam (where the cheeks meat the T area) as possible.  There's no mandible-cheek distinction on the ancient helmets. 

So far I think your doing a bang-up job with this!  Just though I would toss some helpful hints your way.  ;D

I had an awesome sig once, till Photobucket killed it. *frownyface*

Drak Fiurr Verda

• ...Mew...
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #41 on: Nov 14, 2010, 04:04 PM »
You did a great job so far ner vod. I'd say possibly take in the suggestions for de-distinguishing the cheek areas a bit and straightening up the visor like Noval said and you'll be pretty good to go. You might also want to try and even out the top left part of the dome (went looking at the face) to match the right a tad more if you can.

Other wise you're doing great.

R.I.P Chris, aka Remo Jadd
BVC Command Email: bvclan@mandalorianmercs.com
« Reply #42 on: Nov 14, 2010, 04:14 PM »
Right, I meant the grey area you marked. If you pull that a bit closer to T or Y-shape, the organic uneveness around that will show even better in contrast.

This member has been permanently removed from the club by Dar'manda for violation of the Mandalorian Mercs Codex.

seugtai

• 'ZOOG-tay'
  • nom nom...cookie
« Reply #43 on: Nov 14, 2010, 04:28 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions. So I straightened the visor area out, is this better, or does it need more work?

And a side by side of the new vs. old (so you don't have to scroll back and forth)

I will fix the cheeks and the dome tomorrow. Thanks for all your help.

« Last Edit: Nov 14, 2010, 04:35 PM by seugtai » Logged
« Reply #44 on: Nov 14, 2010, 04:41 PM »
hmm... try to raise the corners of the horizontal section just a little bit for a Y could sharpen the expression. (Talking about 5-10 millimeters here)

seugtai

• 'ZOOG-tay'
  • nom nom...cookie
« Reply #45 on: Nov 14, 2010, 05:15 PM »
Great eye, Tomoe. I raised it about 10 mm. I really like that, thanks. Thinking I might bump the right (when looking at it) over the eye a bit. So it's not quite so different from the other side. Yes/No?

Arch

• Awards Award for 100 official invasions. Award for 75 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Celebration Orlando 2017 Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #46 on: Nov 14, 2010, 05:55 PM »
Your scratch build is looking GORGEOUS! The cleaned up T-visor area looks great, as well!

I was thinking that the right side of the T could come up a little as well, before I read your comment about it. :) Go for it!

lightning667

« Reply #47 on: Nov 14, 2010, 09:37 PM »
i think that the back part of the T on your left side, should be raised a little more . and the cleaned up visor does look a little better, only becasue im bias, i like the T to be more clean in my opinion.
also i was thinking that looking back at the picture, the bottom part of the cheeks loooks like there indented into the helmet more than the mandable, so i would suggest trimming more so that the mandable portrudes more. but like what everyone else says, thats just my opinion.

A'den Aaray

• The Bull Mando
« Reply #48 on: Nov 14, 2010, 09:48 PM »
i think it looks great and i wish i could do a build like you are doing

The Bull Mandalorian You mess with me and YOU WILL get the horns
Armor: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=32063.0
pilot: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=31385.0
« Reply #49 on: Nov 15, 2010, 01:42 AM »
Could be a good idea because a-symmetry it adds expression. Downside if you overdo it: the helmet could be permanently stuck with only one overwelming expression. I learned that when I modelled masks from ceramic: you can have the same mask smiling or frowning depending of the point of view of the onlooker. A mando helmet has less options because it got no eyes or mouth, but since you got organic lines in your's you can actually play with the features. That stand will be helpful if you put it on the same height you are and then go around and watch what the lines do with the expression of the helmet.

It's really hard to point it out by photo, but I think you'll know when it's "right"

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!